Chapala.com Webboard

Pasion de Cristo

gknippel

I have a sister wanting to visit and enjoy the Passion Play. I think I have a pretty good idea of the various events but just wondered if some of you might have ideas or suggestions to make her experience more memorable.

Gracias

On Good Friday (18 April this year) there is a procession with the actor who plays Jesus from Ajijic, up the mountain (not all the way up) and then he is crucified. Last year my friend came from the U.S. and followed all the events. Last Good Friday was terribly hot so I didn't go and she said that it only became warmer on the mountain. She said that she saw gringos talking through the performance and many Mexicans just showing annoyance at the gringos rude behavior. The Good Friday enactment is a big thing for local Mexicans.

The part I wouldn't miss was the Easter Vigil Mass at San Andreas Church in Ajijic's village. At one point in the liturgy there is a big bang and the tomb--placed at the left of the church door in front of the cemetery / columbaria--shoots open. The actor who plays Jesus is then seen on top of the tomb (1/2 way up the church) and he stands there bathed in light and in the cool night air for the rest of the Mass. Candles are purchased before the liturgy--some are very fancy--and are blessed during the Mass to be used by the faithful during the year. I'm glad that I was lazy that night and didn't follow the procession to the courtyard in front of the church because it was filled by the time the folks in the procession got there. The music was live and great.

This year I'll try the Vigil Mass in Chapala to see how it differs.

Archived