Chapala.com Webboard

Able to use the Capital One Debit Card in the last few days?

Mainecoons

Got a report from a friend who tried three different ATMs without luck and was told by Capital One that because of the high fraud/theft here they are no longer allowing withdrawals from local ATMs.

Has anyone here been able to use their Capital One debit card in the last few days to get money? Where did you get it?

Thanks.

I have not been able to use my CapitalOne360 debit card for two weeks. I have had to transfer money

back to BOA. Very frustrating! They say there is nothing they can do to resolve the problem....

The OP didn't state which ATM's the person had problems with or if he has "travel to Mexico" indicated on his account...you can do this online or over the phone and you need to renew it every 6 months. I just used my CapOne360 debit card in the Banorte ATM at the Oxxo in Chapala near the malecĂłn and it worked fine for a $500 peso test withdrawal. It would certainly seem strange that if CapOne has an agreement with Banorte so no charges are levied to its customers, that they would suddenly and arbitrarily start blocking use at those ATM's. Maybe they have blocked use at some non-Banorte ATM's, the ones that would charge you fees, because of some recent fraud problem?

A friend just called me and he just withdrew $12,000 pesos from the Chapala Oxxo machine. It just went back online this week after being out of service for about 6 weeks.

The OP didn't state which ATM's the person had problems with or if he has "travel to Mexico" indicated on his account...you can do this online or over the phone and you need to renew it every 6 months. I just used my CapOne360 debit card in the Banorte ATM at the Oxxo in Chapala near the malecĂłn and it worked fine for a $500 peso test withdrawal. It would certainly seem strange that if CapOne has an agreement with Banorte so no charges are levied to its customers, that they would suddenly and arbitrarily start blocking use at those ATM's. Maybe they have blocked use at some non-Banorte ATM's, the ones that would charge you fees, because of some recent fraud problem?

A friend just called me and he just withdrew $12,000 pesos from the Chapala Oxxo machine. It just went back online this week after being out of service for about 6 weeks.

Here's what he told me:

(note he first encountered the problem two days ago)

Today I was declined aat all 3 ,machines in Superlake, El torito and Oxxo in ajjijic . I was told that we are being denied ATM access because their security team has deemed this area as a "high fraud area"

At 11:30 this day, I called Capital One customer service and they stated that some machines have fraud alerts on them but that, in general, they are allowing use at Banorte Atms....and they know of no large area fraud alerts....also, I can withdraw from any other bank ATM's but will only pay that bank's charge....so going back to BOFA doesn't make any sense for me at this point.

Sounds like they might have lifted the "Lakeside embargo" already. Mainecoons...has your friend tried his card again yet?

It's quite a challenge to find out where to put travel info on the CapitolOne360 website but I finally found the path again: sign in, click on your checking/debit account, click on the "debit card" tab in the row above the transaction ledger, click on the "let us know" link in the travel plans paragraph, fill today's date and then one 6 months hence in the second date window, put Chapala, Mexico in the destination comments box. Mark a reminder on your calendar to update it in 6 months as it won't be visible to you there when you sign on again to keep track of its expiration.

Thanks to all the help from the folks here, my buddy and Capital One decided there was a problem with his card and they are replacing it.

Really appreciate the tip about specifying "traveling in Mexico" on the site.

At 11:30 this day, I called Capital One customer service and they stated that some machines have fraud alerts on them but that, in general, they are allowing use at Banorte Atms....and they know of no large area fraud alerts....also, I can withdraw from any other bank ATM's but will only pay that bank's charge....so going back to BOFA doesn't make any sense for me at this point.

It might be worth it as apparently most of the other machines have a 3000 peso limit. The Scotia bank one does not have this limit.

Live and learn, eh? I'm beginning to think all of this is some sort of super secret government program to keep all of us young by constantly throwing challenges and curve balls at us since it has been proven that brains that are used a lot in old age, age a lot less.

:D

You may not realize that you have a 12000 peso limit per card....therefore you can take 3000, reinsert the card and keep taking 3000 until you hit 12000 and you can get your wife a card....thereby making your daily limit 24000 pesos so the Mexican government will think you are some of those high fl;yin tourists

However, that practice may trigger some sort of security alert, as if the card has been stolen and someone is trying to max it out. My buddy thinks that may be what happened to him.

Again, thanks to all of you who responded, as we are just switching to Capital One. My buddy also sends his thanks because you all really did help him solve his problem.

• 1 month later...

OK. So I have my capital one 360 debit card and have been using it. My experience is as follows. The ONLY oxxo in the area that has a Banorte atm (or any atm) appears to be the one in central ajijic. Each time I use it, there is a notification of a 69.20 peso charge. Today I was in Guadalajara and used the Banorte atm at the bank. As I recall there was a fee of 46 pesos. No separate charges for fees are listed on my account. I called capital one today and was told that there was a 7.14 fee and that it just had not shown up yet on my account but that it would. She said that ONLY Allpoint atms were fee free. Didn't know anything about Banorte and their atm's. I notice on the receipts from the Oxxo atm that there is what appears to be a 30 to 40 peso discrepancy between my pre and post peso withdrawal totals.

So far this does't seem like the good deal many were talking about in earlier posts. Are others having positive experiences? What am I doing wrong?

My wife makes regular withdrawals from the ATM at a one or another of the OXXOs near our home. One is a Scotiabank machine with the Allpoint sticker and the other is a Banorte machine. Both invariably gives her the "69.20 fee will be charged" message, but she has NEVER been charged a fee.

OK. So I have my capital one 360 debit card and have been using it. My experience is as follows. The ONLY oxxo in the area that has a Banorte atm (or any atm) appears to be the one in central ajijic. Each time I use it, there is a notification of a 69.20 peso charge. Today I was in Guadalajara and used the Banorte atm at the bank. As I recall there was a fee of 46 pesos. No separate charges for fees are listed on my account. I called capital one today and was told that there was a 7.14 fee and that it just had not shown up yet on my account but that it would. She said that ONLY Allpoint atms were fee free. Didn't know anything about Banorte and their atm's. I notice on the receipts from the Oxxo atm that there is what appears to be a 30 to 40 peso discrepancy between my pre and post peso withdrawal totals.

So far this does't seem like the good deal many were talking about in earlier posts. Are others having positive experiences? What am I doing wrong?

The Oxxo in Jocotepec has a Banorte ATM.

There are Banorte machines in the Chapala malecon Oxxo, Super Lake, El Torito, and the Oxxos in central Ajijic and Jocotepec. CapitalOne360 has an agreement with Banorte which has added all Banorte machines into their Allpoint network even though the machine is missing the sticker, so no fees even though you have to "accept" the $69 fee to move the transaction forward. It will never show up on your account. The same would apply to any Banorte machine in Guad and their bank ATM's there.

If somehow a fee showed up from any Banorte transaction, just call CapOne360 and they'll rebate it. Since this agreement is relatively new, the ATM fee does still show up from some Banorte sources as a pending fee, then it's deleted when they process their daily transactions. That would explain why the rep sees the fee right after the transaction on their screen, but it should be gone by the next day and you'll never see it on your online view. At first the fees actually did show up and you had to call at the end of the month to get them removed, but that hasn't been the case for several months now. Some reps weren't familiar with the new Banorte agreement as it didn't actually show up on their list for Mexico but when I insisted that this was the case and she dug a bit deeper, she then found an update in her system that spelled it out and agreed with me.

We used a Banorte ATM in Guadalajara and a fee was charged. When we spoke with Capital One 360' they advised it has to be an Allpoint ATM for fees to be waived and not all Banorte ATMs are Allpoint. They advised if a fee is charged by any Allpoint ATM in Mexico they would waive the fee. They did not waive the fee for the Banorte we used and said some are privately owned ATMs.

Archived