Chapala.com Webboard

SAN SEBASTIAN PROCESSION/FIESTA fotos and videos

ezpz

This is one of the most fun events in Ajijic - sort of a prelude to Carnaval, which comes late this year on March 4. The San Sebastian fiesta has roots that go all the way back to the pre-hispanic era, which you can see in the wild and wacky Zayacos and Zayacas.

Celebrating and creating fun are a long time tradition in Ajijic - the town that laughs. Enjoy!

I hope this link works, it does not look "live" to me. Did the board change its policy on posting links?

San Sebastian is the patron saint of Ajijic. The procession winds around through the central old part of Ajijic, including streets above the Carretera, and less down by the lake. On many street corners in the town you can see altars which are always there, with crosses and other religious things. These altars are one in each neighborhood, which is the central focus of each neighborhood. The area above the carretera is the neighborhood of San Sebastian and the fiesta passes them. It includes the "old" church in the plaza, and the plaza at evening and night. Charming. Vive San Sebastian!!

San Sebastian is the patron saint of Ajijic. The procession winds around through the central old part of Ajijic, including streets above the Carretera, and less down by the lake. On many street corners in the town you can see altars which are always there, with crosses and other religious things. These altars are one in each neighborhood, which is the central focus of each neighborhood. The area above the carretera is the neighborhood of San Sebastian and the fiesta passes them. It includes the "old" church in the plaza, and the plaza at evening and night. Charming. Vive San Sebastian!!

I think San Andres is the patron saint of Ajijic.

We live in the Barrio de San Sebastian and it IS quite a fun day...Starts (of course) with cojetes in the wee hours of the morning, followed by live bands and a desfile (parade) to Mass. Returning from Mass, there is Menudu served. The local ladies and gents get to work preparing the wonderful meal that is served around 2 pm. There's a great Chicken Mole, Rice, Beans, etc. followed by lots of live entertainment with musicians, dancing and general revelry.

The San Sebastian Barrio is a pretty good size. Javier Mina splits it...In fact, when we lived on Javier Mina, we were still in the San Sebastian Barrio because our home is on the West side of the street. Those on the East side of Javier Mina live in a different Barrio. Go figure!

But, fun is had by ALL!

Viva!

Valerie :)

OK, Flickr wasn't allowing this...hmmm, will try the link to my foto stream and you'll have to scroll through to find the videos and manually play them. If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video is worth a thousand pictures! You can't adequately depict a fiesta without sound and action. I have around 6 short videos in this collection.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/micki_w/

I used to have a Webshots page with around 13,000 fotos on it which were taken over the first 5.5 years that I lived here. But, in 2012, Webshots dismantled itself and all my work was gone like the wind, along with millions of other fotos.

TAKE 2...

Archived