Chapala.com Webboard

Bringing Precious Metals into Mexico

Zeb

I searched the forum and did not see this topic. Perhaps I missed it. In any event, I would like to know if anyone is familiar with the regulations for brining gold and metals coins into Mexico (best way to do this) and what may be involved.

Dont exceed the 10,000US limit without reporting it

that is really a very bad idea.... simply get a safety deposit box at your local bank and place a beneficiary and leave all those valuables nob.

to bring anything south of the border is simply asking for problems.

Precious metals in a US bank safe deposit box--Very Bad Idea. I've done quite a bit of research into this.

Not to disagree with either the risks of bringing gold into Mexico *or* leaving it in a safety deposit box ... but gold and cash are not fungible. There are sound economic reasons for having both, and the suggestion to transform the one into the other unhelpfully ignores the difference between them and the probable reasons for having thus diversified in the first place.

Dont even think of bringing coins to mexico; i researched this two years ago before coming here---------------you Must sell the coins north of the border and, if you wish, purchase some when you arrive in mex (easy to do).

• 1 year later...

Dont even think of bringing coins to mexico; i researched this two years ago before coming here---------------you Must sell the coins north of the border and, if you wish, purchase some when you arrive in mex (easy to do).

ra27, where would you recommend buying gold down here? Thanx

I think it would be a much worse idea in Mexico. I suggest turning the gold into cash and keeping that safely in your NoB bank account. Online banking from Mexico is easy.

Turn gold into fiat that is losing value almost on a daily basis. Bad idea. Bring the gold in and find a safe place to store it. If over $10.000 be sure to declare it with customs at the airport. Be very careful however you handle it.

There will be no safe place. Not a good idea. Either keep them in a safe deposit in the USA, or convert to certificates that you can trade online.

When you own certificates, you own nothing but a piece of paper and if you rely on electronics, then all you have are numbers on a screen that can easily disappear. You trust the "system". I do not.

Safe deposits in the US are no longer safe. If you do some digging on the topic, your assessment may change. We also used to believe the banks and their vaults were the safest places for people. The banks are all fractional reserve. It's all one big game. US citizens have been brought up and lived on these ideas for a really long time. The rights of the customers with respect to their own money are no longer what they were. Do some digging is all I can say as me writing info on this board probably won't be sufficient for those who still believe in how things used to be and should be.

My original posting was how to bring precious metals in, not whether or not I should own them. That's not to say, people's comments are not valuable, but those are on a different topic completely.

You trust the "system". I do not.

Safe deposits in the US are no longer safe.

Sorry to disappoint you, Zeb, but you left probably the safest and strongest economic system and place for the average citizen in the world, and then decided to move to one of the worst. But, that is your choice.

You will not find a lot of sympathy for your feelings here. Just do what you feel is best for you, but please don't get all upset when things go badly for you here. There are lawyers in Mexico that will help you do anything you want to do, for a price. Seek their help.

Archived