Chapala.com Webboard

How to say "I am a sucker."

gary c.

I was talking to my bilingual gardener and told him that when people ask me for money for a sick or hungry child, I'm a sucker and usually give them money. This led to a discussion about how difficult it is to understand US slang. No matter how hard I tried, I didn't really do a good job of explaining 'sucker'. Closest Google translate came was bobo, but that isn't right.

Is there a Mexican phrase that conotes the same as in English?

Thanks,

Carol

just in this specific case. COMPASIVO (compassionate) but yes, sometimes, people think of this kind of folks as: tonto

I was talking to my bilingual gardener and told him that when people ask me for money for a sick or hungry child, I'm a sucker and usually give them money. This led to a discussion about how difficult it is to understand US slang. No matter how hard I tried, I didn't really do a good job of explaining 'sucker'. Closest Google translate came was bobo, but that isn't right.

Is there a Mexican phrase that conotes the same as in English?

Thanks,

Carol

Estás hablando de una persona desprendida. Entonces ''Soy desprendida'' o ''Soy desprendido''.

Estás hablando de una persona desprendida. Entonces ''Soy desprendida'' o ''Soy desprendido''.

Desprendido is more the meaning 'generous'. I'd use inocente or ingenuo, both of which mean 'gullible'.

The word in Spanish that comes to mind would be "noble." In Spanish, una persona noble is one who cares about his prójimo(fellow man) and tries to help him. Even though, deep down, he may be a pretty sure that his good deed will be taken advantage of, he continues with it anyway.

The word in Spanish that comes to mind would be "noble." In Spanish, una persona noble is one who cares about his prójimo(fellow man) and tries to help him. Even though, deep down, he may be a pretty sure that his good deed will be taken advantage of, he continues with it anyway.

Oh, I love this. It makes me feel so much better.

• 7 months later...

Archived