Chapala.com Webboard

Just in Time for Spring Planting

sunnyvmx

The new Garden Store in Riberas ordered Peat Moss for me instead of the Spaghnum Moss I requested. If you are looking to improve soil for gardening or your compost, Peat Moss is a super additive.
The store is located 1/2 blk. east of San Pablo and 1/2 blk. west of the 7/11 in a red painted storefront off the carretera. Virginia is willing to order for you. Her English is limited, but she tries. Her email is excellent. The store also carries pest insecticides and fertilizer. I'm hoping with more business she will succeed and expand.

Do you mean Laurie at the Garden Center store on the East side of the 7-11 and next door to the appliance store?

If that is the same one, she usually has 3 cu.ft. bales of peat moss for about $400 pesos.

She did have the long Sphagnum peat moss that is used for hanging baskets. A smaller amount of the long was $400 pesos also but it is very hard to find down here.

I need another bag of peat for blueberry and azalea plants so I will be buying a bag.

I stopped in at the garden store east of the 7/11 where I have been a very good customer and requested a large bag of clay balls. She had clay pebbles she wanted to sell and refused to order the clay balls that I prefer and have bought in the past. I then visited the NEW garden store just west of 7/11 and she was very accomodating. She ordered the clay balls, vermiculite, perlite and moss that was peat instead of spaghnum. I also purchased a bag of systemic insecticide to help with the mealy bugs and other pests.

She has a lot of fertilizer in stock and is hoping to increase her inventory of products as her store becomes more successful. Her attitude and eagerness to help was a pleasure compared to what I have been getting from the other store.

I stopped in at the garden store east of the 7/11 where I have been a very good customer and requested a large bag of clay balls. She had clay pebbles she wanted to sell and refused to order the clay balls that I prefer and have bought in the past. I then visited the NEW garden store just west of 7/11 and she was very accomodating. She ordered the clay balls, vermiculite, perlite and moss that was peat instead of spaghnum. I also purchased a bag of systemic insecticide to help with the mealy bugs and other pests.

She has a lot of fertilizer in stock and is hoping to increase her inventory of products as her store becomes more successful. Her attitude and eagerness to help was a pleasure compared to what I have been getting from the other store.

I'm not in that area very often so I wasn't aware a new garden store has opened. I'll look in the next time I am in the area.

There is also a garden store in West Ajijic near La Huerta on the mountain side where the Greek restaurant once was (and some other eateries since then.) The owner there seems helpful and wants to work with customers.

Mainecoons - Roberto Delgado of Chapala Tree Service has excellent compost, reasonably priced. I don't have his number in front of me, but he usually has an ad in the monthly magazines.

As some of you may or may not know....once you have paid for goods or services and then find that the product or service is not acceptable, it becomes difficult if not impossible to get your money back here in Mexico. As the peat moss was not what I ordered, I did request my money returned and Virginia was most reluctant to do so requesting she be allowed to find the spaghnum moss that I wanted. I was not surprised, but then that evening I received a very pleasant email from her stating that she valued me as a customer and had my money available to me whenever I should return to her store.

I replied that I appreciated the offer to return my money, but would prefer to get the correct moss for my orchids and today she says she has obtained the spaghnum moss and I will go to pick it up. It's nice to be appreciated as a good customer and to be treated with honesty and respect no matter what country you live in.

Archived