Chapala.com Webboard

Do Not pay Vehicle Tax Fees at the Bank!

Rebford

I decided to pay by Vehicle Tax today for a my Mexican plated car. I went to the Recaudadora to pay my refrendo fees. Huge line. So I decided to try a suggestion in the Guad Reporter and go to Banamex to pay. No problema! Until I asked how I will get the card that I have to keep in my car. The clerk suggested I return to the Recaudadora that maybe there would a different line to pick this up. Back at the Recaudadero again, I was told I had to wait three days and go to a downtown Guadalajara office to pick up my card. Oh, and to take proof of residency and my passport, and who knows what else! I would rather pay it twice! Oh, and the bank charged me 427 pesos which is more than I would have paid at the Recaudadora. I went back to Banamex, but they said the transaction could not be cancelled.

I image that folks that pay on the internet or at OXXO after printing out a receipt from the internet will have to do the same thing.

Yes, this is true. It just doesn't pay to go to the bank or Oxxo or online. Bite the bullet and wait in line one time. We just did that today...two hour and twenty minute wait for a three minute transaction. My husband also read the article in the GR and first went to Bancomer and then to Oxxo and neither place even knew what to do. He then came home and fired off a scathing letter to the editor about the inaccurate and incomplete article.

Thanks for that report. I was intending to go to the Recaudadora anyway, but now I am doubly sure this is the way to go. If anyone has a thought as to the least busy day and time of day, please post. I don't know if I can stand on my feet for 2.5 hours! But I always think lawn chairs look rude. Maybe I should rent a walker, one of those with a seat.

Went to the Regional Office in Ocotlan this week, only about a 1 hr. wait there.

That works for you because apparently you live in Poncitlan. Not very practical for someone who lives at Lakeside to drive one hour to Ocotlan, stand in line one hour, then drive back to Lakeside another hour. So was your experience a suggestion that others do that? Or just bragging?

Sorry you took it as bragging - wasn't intended that way. BTW - I do not live in Poncitlan (the town) but in Poncitlan the Municipality. The municipal boundary between Chapala (the Municipality) and Poncitlan (the Municipality) is actuially the east side of Vista del Lago (Chapala Country Club). Going to Ocotlan is just a suggestion that there is certainly alternatives to Chapala for those who don't mind driving someplace for a little adventure. Ocotlan is a very nice town at the far east end of the lake and the La Barca Hwy. has been newly rebuilt between Poncitlan and Ocotlan - easy to get to with very little traffic. The Regional State Offices there are located at the back of the Plaza San Felipe which is on the main road going north out of town. Lots of parking and the mall has a food court as well. I am just passing on the information to those who care that there are other places nearby in the State of Jalisco where you can do this rather than dealing with the massive line-ups in Chapala and Guadalajara. I also find the people working in the Ocotlan Regional Center are far more friendly and helpful than the Chapala office.

I was very surprised to see those long lines in Chapala, first time ever I experienced that in early January. I used to do Predial at City Hall then off to Recaudera and all was done within one hour for the last few years. Anybody knows why those long lines this year?

I paid yesterday in Ixtlahuacan. Took us about 5 minutes to pay our property tax, then drove over to the Recaudera office and was there maybe 15 minutes. Living in a small town does have it's advantages.

I was very surprised to see those long lines in Chapala, first time ever I experienced that in early January. I used to do Predial at City Hall then off to Recaudera and all was done within one hour for the last few years. Anybody knows why those long lines this year?

I think it is because more and more people are getting cars than before, since there is now credit.

If I live in Chapala, can I pay my car tax and get the card and sticker for the car at any office in Jalisco, and not have to go to Guad for anything? TIA

I decided that waiting in line and coming out with all the necessary paperwork was safer than waiting for papers to arrive in the mail. I got to the office at 1.40 p.m., to find a line out to the street, but was out at 2.50 with everything necessary to make the cars legal for 2014.

Going to be very interesting, 5jacks, after everyone reads their paper today...

It certainly is interesting. Even the Editor's response in this week's GR is inaccurate. He refers to two things as being "stated in the article" for which I defy anyone to find. He suggests that last week's article be read carefully. Maybe he is reading a different version of the article and not the one that was actually published. I have it in front of me right now.

First of all, we had the printed receipt from the website. The article stated it could be taken to a bank or convenience store for payment. It doesn't mention that the receipt should have a barcode on it (as the editor now claims was stated in the article) and, in fact, our printed receipt did not have a barcode.

The editor's reply goes on to say that "as stated in the article, if you have paid online or in a bank or at an OXXO, the tarjeta de circulation and window sticker will subsequently be mailed to the car owner's home address." Really? I don't think so. Not only is that statement NOT in the article, it completely contradicts the OP's first-hand experience.

For those of you who do not want to wait in line, S&S Auto will handle the renewal for a 350 peso service fee. Before we went and stood in line ourselves, we called S&S and asked them how we would get the stickers if we paid online or at a bank. They said we would still need to go down to the Recaudadora and they would charge 112 pesos for them! This even contradicts what the OP was told at the Recaudadora, so draw your own conclusion.

Thanks for reading my vent for the day.

Rule #1: NEVER trust what you read in the Guadalajara Reporter.

Rule #2: See rule #1.

Renewing is super easy. If you time it right, you won't have to wait in line very long, either. We all have to go through the learning curves here, but it does get easier. Until you get thrown a curve ball. :o

The reason why the lines have been so long this week is that small businesses that pay every two months have to pay by the 17th of the month or face fines. And the office is not just for car taxes... Normally, some of us are able to just enter all the stuff online and print out our payment sheet and pay at the bank or oxxo (unlike car taxes, we can go back and print from online the documents we need, and it's like a 9 peso fee for paying at oxxo).

So, that is why so many people. Small business owners trying to not get fined, and car people trying to take advantage of the discount. Should not be as busy this coming week.

I waited about 3 hours this week to pay my business taxes. The entire time, there were gringas behind me that did not stop talking. Seriously, non-stop talking. And it wasn't quietly.

That works for you because apparently you live in Poncitlan. Not very practical for someone who lives at Lakeside to drive one hour to Ocotlan, stand in line one hour, then drive back to Lakeside another hour. So was your experience a suggestion that others do that? Or just bragging?

I think this is entirely uncalled for. There was nothing in the original post to indicate either poor advice or bragging. Perhaps the poster thought his experience could help someone else?

This year we are going to make the line at the recaudadora in Chapala hoping we get the sticker ASAP, We have done this payment years ago, the first time, we paid online, and we never got the sticker back that year; the next year, we went to pay at the office in Guadalajara (long line too) and we got the sticker until Aug or so...very late...after several visits to the Recaudadora in Chapala....they just never let you win!

Last year we printed out our form and paid the taxes at Oxxo no problem, but the tarjeta never came in the mail. 3 phone calls later we - you guessed it - had to go to the recuadora office in Chapala, explain everything and get the card. To me that's the worst mistake of a bunch in the Guad. Reporter article: believing that a scheme that requires reliable delivery of an important document via the Mexican postal service is going to work. Lousy reporting, and then they have the nerve to scold the person who pointed out their errors.

Well, the system used to be stupider. You used to have to go to the office to pay....and then go back again.....and again....and AGAIN!!!....to see if the sticker ever arrived because they didn't have the technology to process it locally. Now they can just print them out right then and there. It's a huge improvement. Having said that....

....it's my turn to gripe!

I went to Chapala earlier in the week and the line was out the door and wrapped onto the sidewalk. I said, "Screw this. I'm going to Ixtlahuacan." Twelve minutes later I'm circling the town and find the well-hidden Recaudadora. I walk into the office and what do I see? ONLY TWO PEOPLE IN LINE!!! At this point I'm thinking I'm a genius because it only takes 12 minutes to drive there from Chapala. But then, as I'm standing there in line, I begin to notice a funny sound. I'm thinking....what's that sound? I focus my eyes on the counter and what do I see? A DOT-MATRIX Printer!!!

Jajajaja. I'm pretty sure they're not going to be able to print anything worthwhile in that office, so I ask if I'll be able to leave with my tarjeta de circulaciĆ³n y calca, and they say "Nope."

Bah. Nice try. Went back to Chapala yesterday. Brought a book and waited an hour in line. No big deal. At least I had five refrendos to pay. If I dollar-cost average that, each one took only 12 minutes. :D

Archived