Chapala.com Webboard

Small red beans

Bigrig1919

We have 2 or 3 types de red dry beans here in Chiapas. If you are not in a hurry I can bring you some. I am down here with a Mexican friend from Guadalajara and she has never seen this different types up north but then I do not know if this is what you are looking for. I bought some today and they are soaking right now, will cook them tomorrow and are looking to try something new.

PM if you want me to bring you some. We have many different types of beans down here.

I'd suggest going to either the semillas store in Ajijic (between Colon and Juarez on the carretera) or the even better one in Chapala (about two blocks north of the zocalo on Madero) and buying the smallest fresh local beans you can find, regardless of color. Cook them as you would the red beans you're not finding and you're sure to be happy with the results.

Here's a guide to some of the quite amazing variety of beans we have down here;

http://www.themijachronicles.com/2010/06/a-quick-guide-to-mexican-beans/

I used some small red beans I bought at that store in my chili last year, cooked them for HOURS and they were still hard as rocks. Maybe they were rocks! And, yes, I pre-soaked them...

Archived