Chapala.com Webboard

Mama Raccoon and babies

Just rescued a mama raccoon with 4 babies! Attacked by a dog, defending her babies…. Awe they are so cute…… I just want to hug and kiss them…. Mama is hurt but she will get better with some TLC! And can still nurse her babies… The couple who called us were soooo grateful, that there was someone/ group that cared… they made a very generous donation……!!!! Thank you!!!! it will help us, help the wildlife of Mexico!

If anyone understands the ins and outs of raccoons and other wildlife it's Vern and Laurie at Lakeside Wildlife. Yes, they and other wildlife can be a little irritating in our carefully manicured gardens, but what do we expect when we move into their territory?? Thanks for being there, Lakeside Wildlife. Protection of wildlife is another good reason to keep our domesticated animals safely secured in and around our homes.

I've had two raccoons as pets and they are the best pets I ever had. They are extremely smart but a wild animal must be treated differently than a domesticated animal. Mine had rabies vaccinations and all other shots like all cat and dog vaccines. It's easy to worm them.

I envy you Lakeside Wildlife for having them.

Yes, Ajijic Hiker, you could say that about scorpions as well. However, I have never gotten up to go to the bathroom at night and stepped on a raccoon. Nor have I slipped onto a jacket and found a raccoon in the sleeve. We do the best we can to live alongside the creatures we displace when we can.

Bees, rattlesnake, sharks ,fleas, flies, mosquitos are all God's critters aren't they? Or did he make some mistakes. Actually I don't believe in God, just being contrary.

Methinks that humans were the mistake. We'll destroy it all if we don't smarten up.

Thank you all for your comments of support. I may try to take a pic..... but don't want to disturb them to much, They are wild and we need to keep them that way, Mama wants nothing to do with humans!

And when Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Thanks for all the good work that you do!

What a wonderful rescue story. Raccoons are beautiful, intelligent animals. Thank you to the volunteers generously donating their time.

What a shame that even in a lovely story such as this, there still has to be an nosy, judgmental, interfering, busybody to chime in their unsolicited assumptions and ridiculously negative commentary.

Wish I could cuddle with the raccoons too, but wouldn't want to get slashed. Hope we can see a pic if mama allows it.

I'm back in Canada now but we have lots of raccoons where I live. I feed them eggs, marshmallows and cat crunchies and love their little masked faces. I don't find them aggressive at all. We need to live in peace and harmony with all the creatures of the world. I'm old now and have never had a problem with raccoons...people however....lol

Happy to hear we have a Wildlife Rescue in Ajijic....keep up the good work!!

"Thank you all for your comments of support. I may try to take a pic..... but don't want to disturb them to much, They are wild and we need to keep them that way, Mama wants nothing to do with humans!"

I'm relieved to read that you won't be hugging and kissing them. By the way, I am just a little curious to learn if Fauna Silvestre Mexico is sanctioned or regulated by the Mexican government, or if this is a privately run situation.

YES, we are licensed by the Mexican Gob. and work closely with them...... The paperwork can be a nightmare, but is well worth it,

So glad there's someone there who can care for the injured wild ones. I get raccoons and possums in my horse barn often. Because of the danger of EPM, they get a free meal in a live trap and a quick trip to the national forest. So many people just shoot them. No way in the world could I do that...after all .. they were here first.

I love all creatures and believe they all should be entitled to a good life but, having had to deal with a surplus of racoons in my house in Canada, which involved paying a lot of money to guys in haz mat suits to get them out of my house, I have learned that they are hazardous to our health. How do we learn to live together? They are wonderful, intelligent, cute etc creatures ... and maybe can be dealt with in limited numbers .... but ... when a community is overrun with them (creatures who will tear apart your house to get back to their original nesting grounds) and, what's more, their excrement is poison to humans ... what do we do?!! If we are dealing with a few that can be controlled - great ...they are, indeed, cute and intelligent and maybe their excrement can be controlled ... however, once they become a plague (ie:huge numbers, destructive, more than a community can tolerate) ... what do we do? We love them for who they are but not for what they do to us .... they become rather scary, actually. I believe this must be taken into the equation. Perhaps it is the human population that needs culling. Not for me to say ... but there comes a point where various species cannot cohabit ....Raccoon droppings may carry several potentially dangerous diseases. Rabies is one of the worst, but rare. Viral canine distemper is periodically a big issue as raccoon populations build to the point that crowding becomes common.

As the canine distemper virus builds, you may start seeing raccoons foraging in the daytime and acting more aggressively than usual. Other animals, including house pets, are vulnerable to the virus, which can be spread through contact with a diseased animal or through their droppings (which dogs find fascinating).

Recently, however, raccoons have been recognized as the main host for an even more dangerous parasite called Baylisascaris procyonis. This is a disgusting roundworm that can cause extremely serious disease conditions in humans.

Indeed, for vulnerable groups such as children and the elderly, as well as those with compromised immune systems, exposure to this roundworm can be fatal.

Most exposure occurs when humans have direct or indirect contact with raccoon droppings, which can contain millions of roundworm eggs. Although the roundworms themselves can survive only inside an animal host, their eggs are extremely tough and can remain viable for years in soil, sand or even water. Thus, people can come into contact with old and decomposed raccoon droppings without realizing it.

For people, exposure symptoms include nausea, skin irritations, fatigue, inattention, loss of coordination and muscle control, as well as liver enlargement, blindness and coma. If you have come into contact with raccoon droppings, seek medical assistance as soon as possible. If promptly treated, the worms can be killed before they migrate through the whole body (now there's a hideous image).

When cleaning up raccoon feces, always wear protective gear, including rubber gloves. Several health departments recommend wearing rubber boots, disposable overalls and a well-made respirator as well.

Double-bag all droppings and burn them if possible. If not, bury them deeply (at least three feet deep). Unless they are very well bagged, don't just toss them in the trash, since the eggs will remain viable for years and could infect a human or an investigating animal.

For more information, do a Web search including the words raccoon droppings, health concerns and roundworm. Prepare to be amazed.

Top five killers worldwide:

mosquitos, hippos, deer, bees dogs

The US you are much more likely to be killed or injured by a cow #1, deer, horse or dog than anything else.

Fecies of just about any animal is bad for you, unless prepared just right above 425 degrees.

Anecdotal stories about personal experiences are just that.

There are many things out there that will harm you and raccoons are way down the list.

Respect all living things, use commons sense and please a couple of you take a chill pill.

I love all creatures and believe they all should be entitled to a good life but, having had to deal with a surplus of racoons in my house in Canada, which involved paying a lot of money to guys in haz mat suits to get them out of my house, I have learned that they are hazardous to our health. How do we learn to live together? They are wonderful, intelligent, cute etc creatures ... and maybe can be dealt with in limited numbers .... but ... when a community is overrun with them (creatures who will tear apart your house to get back to their original nesting grounds) and, what's more, their excrement is poison to humans ... what do we do?!! If we are dealing with a few that can be controlled - great ...they are, indeed, cute and intelligent and maybe their excrement can be controlled ... however, once they become a plague (ie:huge numbers, destructive, more than a community can tolerate) ... what do we do? We love them for who they are but not for what they do to us .... they become rather scary, actually. I believe this must be taken into the equation. Perhaps it is the human population that needs culling. Not for me to say ... but there comes a point where various species cannot cohabit ....Raccoon droppings may carry several potentially dangerous diseases. Rabies is one of the worst, but rare. Viral canine distemper is periodically a big issue as raccoon populations build to the point that crowding becomes common.

As the canine distemper virus builds, you may start seeing raccoons foraging in the daytime and acting more aggressively than usual. Other animals, including house pets, are vulnerable to the virus, which can be spread through contact with a diseased animal or through their droppings (which dogs find fascinating).

Recently, however, raccoons have been recognized as the main host for an even more dangerous parasite called Baylisascaris procyonis. This is a disgusting roundworm that can cause extremely serious disease conditions in humans.

Indeed, for vulnerable groups such as children and the elderly, as well as those with compromised immune systems, exposure to this roundworm can be fatal.

Most exposure occurs when humans have direct or indirect contact with raccoon droppings, which can contain millions of roundworm eggs. Although the roundworms themselves can survive only inside an animal host, their eggs are extremely tough and can remain viable for years in soil, sand or even water. Thus, people can come into contact with old and decomposed raccoon droppings without realizing it.

For people, exposure symptoms include nausea, skin irritations, fatigue, inattention, loss of coordination and muscle control, as well as liver enlargement, blindness and coma. If you have come into contact with raccoon droppings, seek medical assistance as soon as possible. If promptly treated, the worms can be killed before they migrate through the whole body (now there's a hideous image).

When cleaning up raccoon feces, always wear protective gear, including rubber gloves. Several health departments recommend wearing rubber boots, disposable overalls and a well-made respirator as well.

Double-bag all droppings and burn them if possible. If not, bury them deeply (at least three feet deep). Unless they are very well bagged, don't just toss them in the trash, since the eggs will remain viable for years and could infect a human or an investigating animal.

For more information, do a Web search including the words raccoon droppings, health concerns and roundworm. Prepare to be amazed.

Seren;

All the things you mentioned can and do apply to ALL mammals; dogs, cats, horses…. etc….. Especially feral cats can transmit all above things mentioned….

As far as, “Baylisascaris procyonis” round worms…… Did the educational work shop with Vets. / Dept of Natural Resources…. And Reps from CDC….15 years ago…. etc….. Children who lived out in country, and had poor immune systems were more at risk bc of their tendency to eat dirt…. Ie: play in dirt and then eat, or for whatever reason put their fingers in their mouth, before washing their hands with soap and water.

It is important to remember most parasites are “species specific” (which means, if they are not in their “natural host” they pass right on through……. Yes there are exceptions…..

When one cleans feces ( from ANY animal) precautions should be taken, one does not clean up feces or urine then go and make a pizza!

I worry more about catching something from other people…… just getting over the flu….. didn’t catch that from an animal……..

As my friends who are avid gardeners say, after out working your garden, always wash your hands and fingernails, even when wearing gloves… especially in warm climates……

Archived