Chapala.com Webboard

MovieSpace Cinema: if you're into the movies, this is good news.

http://www.mscinemas.com/

I've always liked the newer theatre over at the big mall here. Good seats, clean, and so on. But they have had a problem since almost the beginning: replacing projector bulbs with lower-priced bulbs, leaving the light on in the projection booth (which creates a large reflective area on the movie screens), and improper care of the projectors, resulting in a dark halo effect around the edges.

So if you go to see a movie that is mostly at night, or underwater... you lose an awful lot of the image, and it's very frustrating and far less enjoyable than it should be. Then, add in the poorly-motivated projector operator, and you get previews that are all out of whack, and movies that are often out of focus.

So they've been advertising "all digital soon!" for a few weeks now, and yesterday we went to see The Secret Life of Walter Mitty during the matinee. I guess they've installed their new gear, because for the first time, here was a movie that was bright, in focus, and clear from edge-to-edge and top-to-bottom.

The term "all digital" is difficult to break down, but it should mean a digital projector, instead of obviously a film projector. And it can mean movies received in digital format via satellite (or BluRay, Internet, etc). However, it can also mean just a DVD player and a magnifying projector. During the last year or so, many movies there exhibited a swirling pattern onscreen, which used to mean a dirty or damaged video head on a VCR. I have no idea where it was coming from, but that too is gone, so I assume we have new projection equipment. The screens don't change.

I understand that MovieSpace has been taken over by some other consortium. Now, Oscar over at Cinemas Bugambilias is a good friend, and from time-to-time he manages that place, but if you've ever been there when the lights are on... well, the theatres are shockingly dirty. But they've always taken care of their projection equipment. (Cinema 4, upstairs, could have been great, but they made a big mistake by putting in old-style seating, and neglecting the air conditioning. Also, it's so freakin' dark, it is easy to trip.) I even have two VIP cards that I buy every year. But my first choice for now will be MovieSpace. Until the time comes to change the bulbs, anyway...

$500 pesos gets you unlimited entrance to any movie anytime, regular, 3D, special features (for one year)... anything except private functions and film festivals.

Didn't notice the rails, but wasn't paying attention.

MovieSpace has seats that I personally don't prefer. You are forced to sit back on a slant which some may like but I find difficult. I do appreciate their air conditioning and the cleanliness of the theater. I accept the other theater because I like the seats but there seems to be an odd smell there (I have a sensitive "smeller" so perhaps that is just me). What I like best about both theaters is the low cost of a movie! I paid a fortune to go to the movies in the U.S. theaters and here I can afford to go often.

The term "all digital" is difficult to break down, but it should mean a digital projector, instead of obviously a film projector. And it can mean movies received in digital format via satellite (or BluRay, Internet, etc). However, it can also mean just a DVD player and a magnifying projector. During the last year or so, many movies there exhibited a swirling pattern onscreen, which used to mean a dirty or damaged video head on a VCR. I have no idea where it was coming from, but that too is gone, so I assume we have new projection equipment. The screens don't change.

Ah NO, it will not mean a DVD player and a magnifying projector. If it did, you would be the first person to walk out. Film & digital theater distribution, are both drastically higher resolution than 1080p on consumer equipment.The film company/distributor may provide a feed to the theater or the movie may be on a hard drive that plugs into the projector.

You would know differently had you watched a bunch of them that way here in days gone by. Interestingly, though, I included that description to avoid people jumping on me to tell me all about the various concepts I did not list (You'll recall I was defining the term "all digital", not movie theatres.) This topic holds a lot more information than can be described here in terms of my post, and those interested in learning more will find a wealth of it doing a search or two.

Paramont has just finished Anchorman II, their last ever "film" movie all future distribution will be digital only. The other studios are sure to follow as cost are much lower and quality significantly better.http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/01/anchorman-2-was-paramounts-final-release-on-35mm-film/

I would really like to learn about film distribution in Mexico (commercial delivery to theatres).

My husband and I recently saw Gravity at the new theatre and on the poster it said 3D. After we bought our tickets we found out that the movie wasn't in 3D.

Guess what, it was in 3D at Cinemas Bugambilias which is a much older theatre. We were quite disappointed since most of this movie depends on the impact of special effects.

Very surprising the more modern theatre did not have 3D - makes no sense to me.

Both cinemas go back and forth with their 3D in terms of what they play. Some times it has to do with having English and Spanish versions, and/or not having them. And of course they take their ads/posters from wherever they can, very much unlike the "chains" who get a bigger say and are worth more to the distribution companies. Oscar's Bugambilias is independent; in fact, they never know sometimes until Thursday what films they are actually going to get for Friday. (So seeing the listings in the Guad Reporter is always something of a small miracle.)

I saw Gravity at the 4D theatre in Guadalajara. You can take solace knowing that the 3D added almost nothing to the movie. There is a frame-of-mind in Hollywood that says "we can't overdo the 3D", which to me is insane. I want things flying out at me. I recall Michael Jackson's 3D short at Disney or Universal... it was fantastic, 20-odd years ago. No Hollywood 3D movie has even come close.

I pick the theatre here that isn't showing 3D, when I can. 3D needs a very bright projection, because it of necessity cuts about 30% or so when you put those awful glasses on. And in the past, at MovieSpace, with their bulbs already at 60%, some stuff is unwatchable, like massive hoarde scenes in Hobbit movies that take place underground. I even ordered, online, my own special wireframe, large lensed, 3D aviator glasses... turns out they don't work with the 3D movie systems used here. If anyone has a 3D TV and needs an extra pair of glasses, let me know.

Sorry but until they make digital LOOK like 35MM Analog film it will limit certain artistic options.

Example: Can you imagine Citizen Kane in Clear digital color and no fog?

Can you imagine Fitzcaraldo filmed in the jungle in Clear Digital?

Analog can be better than digital in my opinion. Don't get me wrong digital is fine for most things.

Well, film look is always a consideration. And we're used to a certain way with snapshots, for example, which of course can be reproduced digitally very easily. I can fire up my filters and give you a Polaroid version, or an Ektachrome version, Kodachrome, etc. They can do the same with the movies, so it will be interesting to see where this goes. Although, unlike the vinyl/CD arguments, I don't hear people/critics talking about it.

I pick the theatre here that isn't showing 3D, when I can. 3D needs a very bright projection, because it of necessity cuts about 30% or so when you put those awful glasses on. And in the past, at MovieSpace, with their bulbs already at 60%, some stuff is unwatchable, like massive hoarde scenes in Hobbit movies that take place underground.

This. We saw Desolation of Smaug locally -- only available in 3D -- and half the movie I was squinting at a mostly-black screen trying to discern something, anything. It was horribly disappointing.

(I also missed chunks of the dialogue because Sindarin was translated to Spanish, and I am fluent in neither one. That one's my own fault, though. /wry)

So are you saying the lightbulb problem is fixed now? Is it safe to see a 3D movie there again?

I don't know, only that they've switched to "all digital", and the movie I saw last week was perfect. It was not a 3D film, though. It would appear that MovieSpace is now being operated by some group out of Guadalajara, so it's possible that they fixed the 3D gear... we'll have to go and see one to find out.

My feeling about theater movies is much the same as my feeling about Asian food. My standards are nowhere near what they were when I lived in Seattle. This ain't Seattle. If a movie comes to town that I'm even vaguely interested in seeing, I go. If the movie is at both theaters, I usually choose the older theater at Plaza Bouganbillas. I like it better and I like to support the smaller, older venue. I will, however, go to either theater. I mean, come on, at roughly 30 pesos a ticket, what can I expect?? After 4 years I'm still stunned that two people can go to a movie AND have popcorn for under $10USD. Holy smokes!

I agree wholeheartedly with that view, datura. But as a movie buff, often going by myself, I yearn for more. The screenings at Bugambilias have always been great and, considering where we are, perhaps even better than great.

Archived