Chapala.com Webboard

Bus from Guad to Mexico City

bojackson

My son will be working in Mexico City later this month so I'm considering visiting for the weekend. In the past I've flown Volaris there but since I'm in no particular hurry to get there or back, I'm considering taking the bus. Any information anyone can provide on this bus trip would be appreciated. Would be leaving on a Friday, preferably early, and returning on Monday, preferably early. Best place to buy ticket, length of trip, stops, cost, etc.

you can book and see timetables online. etn and omnibus de mexico are the two i know of. excellent service, reclining seats etc . think you can book at most travel agents in ajijic and chapala. the one at walmart has closed. the buses leave from the new terminal in guadalajara, so if yo go by bus from here, you need to either get a taxi from the old terminal , or better get off at el alamo, get a taxi the short distance to the new terminal, costs about 60 pesos.

I would go with ETN (http://www.etn.com.mx) rather than any other bus line. You can buy ETN tickets at any OXXO, which makes it really simple for you at Lakeside. The trip from the new bus station in Tonala/Tlaquepaque to Mexico City takes about 7.5 hours. I used to make the trip on the 11.55PM bus--half a Xanax knocked me out and I slept until the bus arrived, ready for the day. If you have the INAPAM card, you will pay 400 pesos each way; if you don't have the INAPAM card, the fare is 800 pesos each way.

Don't different bus lines use different stations in DF. Where the son lives may be part of the plan?

There are four bus stations in Mexico City. Most lines use all of them. When leaving from Guadalajara, the nearest bus station in Mexico City (and the one with the most arrivals and departures from Guadalajara) is the Central de Autobuses Poniente, AKA Observatorio.

Of course she will have to know where she's going in Mexico City--unless her son picks her up at the bus station, in which case she will need to know which bus station to tell him. The four are:
Central de Autobuses Norte
Central de Autobuses Poniente (the one I recommend for her arrival, see reasons in post No. 5)
TAPO
Central de Autobuses Sur (aka TAXQUEÑA)

Of course her son may tell her to buy her ticket to arrive at a different bus station from the one I recommend. He will know which is best for her.

Archived