Chapala.com Webboard

Who to see for renewing immigration?

Sarita

Need to renew, possibly change immigration status. Have dealt with 2 individiuals in past & had issues. First one was outright dishonest, pulled a scam to extract extra $, saying Aduana claimed I was lacking something (that I couldn't possibly have gotten into the country without!) & would have to pay for it again or wouldn't get processed. Unfortunately, she played the exact same scam on me 2 years running, so was fired. Then went to another, but very difficult to get a straight answer, lots of stalls, runaround, very vague replies that come too late or not at all- incredibly frustrating!

Who can be recommended that is good, honest, reliable, communicates to clients (preferably in good English), gets things done on time without problems and knows the immigration laws & how to interpret them? I will be back shortly and need to book now.

After that sad story with Aduana involved and they fell for it ....... don't suggest this person "do it themselves". This person needs professional and honest help. Spencer is obviously the best bet here

After that sad story with Aduana involved and they fell for it ....... don't suggest this person "do it themselves". This person needs professional and honest help.

Sound advice, carefully stated.

Azucena is great and knows the ins and outs. I'm certain Spencer's office is good, too.

I vote for me but also used to work with Azucena and she is smart and nice

Another vote for Spencer, but Bateman also has a good rep. Yes, you can do it yourself, but why bother--especially in the current environment where the laws have changed, the staff has changed, things are in a state of flux. (What is flux? Is there a Mexican Spanish word for "flux'? But I digress....)

It looks like the quote feature isn't working so this is in response to lakeside7. Picked up my pemanente yesterday. Allowing for the holiday break it arrived exactly in the time expected. I arrived in the office around 11:30, there were probably 2 people in front of me. I don't see how having any more people working there would have been beneficial. Referring back to a thread by Spencer about the possible closing of this office entirely I could see it happening if the amount of traffic present yesterday is any indication.

I was at INM Thursday at 11:30, a time when a year before it was packed and this year one person was ahead of me. I guess we can surmise that fewer people are renewing or that most have already gone permanente. The consulates approving people before they move here could have an effect but those people still must visit the INM office when they arrive. I have to assume fewer people are applying at Chapala INM. I wonder how busy the Guadalajara office is?

I think several factors are involved in the INM staff reduction and possible closure:

When one is Residente Permanente, there is no further renewal.

When one is Residente Temporal for a year, the next three years can be renewed at once.

There are no more tourists converting to residence visas in Mexico, unless married to a Mexican of with Mexican children.

We old expats are dying off and not being replaced by many newbies.

People are leaving for other reasons; mostly perceived governmental SNAFUs, re: cars, boats, taxes, corruption, transito targeting, etc.

Others may simply leave to go to a US or Canadian nursing home or assisted living in their dotage. I may be ready!

All of that results in much less demand for INM services, especially in places like Chapala. Guadalajara is more likely to have a steadier demand, simply because of other types of migration; business, education, refugees, marriages, etc.

It looks like the quote feature isn't working so this is in response to lakeside7. Picked up my pemanente yesterday. Allowing for the holiday break it arrived exactly in the time expected. I arrived in the office around 11:30, there were probably 2 people in front of me. I don't see how having any more people working there would have been beneficial. Referring back to a thread by Spencer about the possible closing of this office entirely I could see it happening if the amount of traffic present yesterday is any indication.

Quote feature working now! DC5, can you tell me how long your permanente took, from first applying, to fingerprinting? Then how much longer until you had your card after fingerprinting? I've heard it can be months... hope that isn't true.

Strange, for some reason the quote feature isn't working for me. Oh well, looking back on my calendar I handed in the initial paperwork on Oct. 15th so we're talking about 3 months to get it done. Deducting about 2 weeks for the holiday it would be about 2 1/2 months. I wasn't in any rush so it worked out fine for me. Sure is nice now not to have to go through this every year.

I think several factors are involved in the INM staff reduction and possible closure:

There are no more tourists converting to residence visas in Mexico, unless married to a Mexican of with Mexican children.

I thought people who were approved by a consulate had to get their cards at an INM office in Mexico. Isn't that correct? If so, they still make at least two appearances at the INM office, to turn in the papers and to pick up the card.

As empty as the Chapala office is the lack of people being processed is more than the one year of people going permanante or people already received multiple years on a temporado. There are certainly no new people getting cards.

Joco,

Those who are approved by consulates in their home countries are coming to be residents, not tourists. Tourists get an FMM tourist permit at the border or airport and must leave within 180 days, with the familial exceptions in my earlier post.

• 2 years later...

Call us 765 7553

Archived