Chapala.com Webboard

U.S. yahoo.com

Tadpole

Yahoo is really messed up lately. I got an email from my father telling me he had arrived in Myrtle Beach so I called him and asked him when he had decided to go to Myrtle Beach. He told me he had not been to Myrtle Beach since last summer! He looked back and had sent the email last August, it got resent out again 6 months later I guess. I had another friend who has yahoo mail and she just received an email meant for her over a year ago!

Why do you folks stay with them?? They don't have enough money for proper support. It is not going to get better. Now I know you don't want to change your email address but haven't you folks had enough??? I BUY my Email service from a company who won't sell my data and actually know what they are doing. Can't say that for Yahoo for quite a while. Gmail is far better than Yahoo if you insist on free but remember what you paid for this.

I too have had nothing but grief with the accursed yahoo. I have the first generation IPad but it seems the meat heads over at yahoo forgot to make the "service" available to all. I've switched to gmail and while better, still lack much in the way of privacy. This is the world we live in I suppose. To disgruntled yahoo users ... switch. It's a pain but waddyagunnadu.

I know Yahoo has had some issues especially over the holidays, they have been upgrading and it caused some problems for many users, as with everything else in life it will come to pass. if I have to choose, I will take Yahoo over Gmail any day, Hotmail or windows live is ok as well, many of the issues people have had have been browser related or issues witht the cache in their browser but people are allways quick to blame someone else, I do it all the time, Remember these are free services. there is a saying in Mexico "para pendejo no se estudia", so sometimes its good to do a search on the internet when having issues and usually a quick fix is available.

Yes, they are free. But when Yahoo put out the call to its own worldwide staff, a few months ago, to switch to Yahoo mail themselves? Only 25% signed up. The company is very poorly organized and they care not a whit about their customers who, even though the mail service is free, pay back big time because of the advertising money Yahoo pulls in. I don't feel sorry for Yahoo. This latest "fix" is a response to an overwhelming number of complaints and dropouts, in the hundreds of thousands. That kind of feedback gets noticed.

Yes I can agree to some extent about the above posts, but it is free, how many people on this forum actually used a telmex infinitum account but yet had to ditch their paid prodigy.net.mx account because of unreliability which was paid for. Stuff happens, so the best course of action is to have a couple of backup accounts.When Google begins to have issues, Yes Google is strong now but what if in the future it ends up like many such as redifmail, runbox fastmail which many ended up ditching.... yes never say never.

People very soon forget, but ultimately a private e-mail is a better alternative and yes you get what you pay for!

If it is free I cant see any reason for complaining.

A deal is a deal. And nothing is "free". You get Yahoo in exchange for your information, which they sell to advertisers. There is an implicit agreement, and an explicit agreement. When you sign up, they agree to give you a service in exchange for your name. Money is only one form of payment.

With all the problems, concern for "secure" email is hitting an all-time high. One of the major providers of safe email was ordered by the NSA to turn over all their user information. Rather than do that and disrupt hundreds of thousands of accounts, the CEO simply refused, shutting down the site (lavabits.com) and destorying all his records.

Now he and Silent Circle, another secure provider that shut down before being told to hand them over, have come together in something called The Dark Mail Ailliance. They propose to make everything in your email completely secure, so that even if records have to be turned over, they will only look like gobbledygook. I am all for this. They are trying to raise money now through KickStarter. I have subscribed to their email bulletins so that I will be among the first to be able to use this service when (if) it becomes available. Y'all might be interested in taking a look: http://darkmail.info/

With all the problems, concern for "secure" email is hitting an all-time high. One of the major providers of safe email was ordered by the NSA to turn over all their user information. Rather than do that and disrupt hundreds of thousands of accounts, the CEO simply refused, shutting down the site (lavabits.com) and destorying all his records.

Now he and Silent Circle, another secure provider that shut down before being told to hand them over, have come together in something called The Dark Mail Ailliance. They propose to make everything in your email completely secure, so that even if records have to be turned over, they will only look like gobbledygook. I am all for this. They are trying to raise money now through KickStarter. I have subscribed to their email bulletins so that I will be among the first to be able to use this service when (if) it becomes available. Y'all might be interested in taking a look: http://darkmail.info/

Can Dark Mail promise perfectly secure email?

But security experts have raised concerns about the project, pointing out technical barriers and errors already made by one of the encrypted email companies behind it, Lavabit.

Doesn't matter to me at this point... at least some people are working hard to make it better. That's what counts. There's always someone waiting in the wings to shoot down everything that comes along. Hasn't even been released yet.

And this "story" says right up front, it doesn't have the technical details to be able to determine what might happen... only that Lavabit couldn't do it... and this in some way suggests that a new attempt cannot? Then it says Instant Messaging doesn't face these problems, because "both people have to be online at the same time". I guess he hasn't used IM... because no they don't. But IM does allow for file transfers, which is how malware is delivered. Not to mention bypassing firewalls, IP addresses... and on. So I would take that story with a huge grain of salt.

Folks if you are concerned you don't need anybodies help. Just encrypt your data and let the person receiving the mail unencrypt it. While yes folks can crack your mail given enough time they won't unless you are on some list. Google or go to Wiki and read about PGP (pretty good privacy). People who do business use this all the time to protect data.

Archived