Chapala.com Webboard

Property taxes and water bill

mpb

Paid taxes today. It took about 15 minutes. The property tax had an increase of 3%, the least increase since I have been here.

On the other hand, the water bill saw a 30% increase over last year, the largest increase I have seen since I have been here. I asked if there might be a discount with either an INAPAM card or permanente residente card and was told yes, adjusting my bill to a 13 1/2% increase over last year, still the highest I have seen. This is from the office next to OXXO in San Antonio.

2013 was a 4% over the previous year, 2012. The previous years were 5% +/- before 2012. 30% is a surprise. Don't know if others have found the same results? This is the first year that they have allowed a reduction with either an INAPAM or permanent residency for me.

Mine went up 10%.

I have had the house for 13 years and I notice that last year year my house was worth 52million pesos so obviously they had the value from many years ago and they put a more current value on the papers this year. Maybe the same thing happened to other people. who saw a big tax increase or if the house turned over since the price decreases maybe it was adjusted...less likely but you never know.

They allowed the INAPAM discount but the discount is like 15% for the houses over a certain amount so they basically do not give much more than the early discount for INAPAM holders.wether foreigners or Mexicans.

Maybe Intercasa can chime in.

Mine went up 10%.

I have had the house for 13 years and I notice that last year year my house was worth 52million pesos so obviously they had the value from many years ago and they put a more current value on the papers this year. Maybe the same thing happened to other people. who saw a big tax increase or if the house turned over since the price decreases maybe it was adjusted...less likely but you never know.

They allowed the INAPAM discount but the discount is like 15% for the houses over a certain amount so they basically do not give much more than the early discount for INAPAM holders.wether foreigners or Mexicans.

Maybe Intercasa can chime in.

If your house's value is shown, then it is shown on my property tax but not on my water bill. I didn't even ask for a discount on my property tax, as it was so little an increase and so little to begin with. So if you got a 10% increase, it was probably on your house tax, not on the water bill, as this was the issue with such an increase on the water bill, which does not show your house's worth, at least not shown on mine.

The water bill is calculated who knows how but it involves the number of bathrooms, wether you have a garden or not, wether you have a pool or not and who knows what else, I do not think the value of the house has anything to do with the water bill . I did not check the water bill as my husband pays that one so I do not know what the increase was. People from the water company have been going around asking questions regarding the property, I know that they asked our gardner and if you have a pool or a large garden that for some reason did not show on their records chances are that the bill went way up.

Our water bill went up 12%

Predial

Wether you asked for the discount or not on the predial you got the early paying discount and the difference f between the early discount and the INAPAM was a 100 pesos in my case so not worrying about it . However if your house is below a certain amount your discount is 50% not sure what that value is supposed to be to get that kind of discount. They seem to give the INAPAM discounts to everyone who asks for it in Chapala this year, however unless you have a small and inexpensive house you do not get a substancial discount anyways.

The water bill is calculated who knows how but it involves the number of bathrooms, wether you have a garden or not, wether you have a pool or not and who knows what else, I do not think the value of the house has anything to do with the water bill . I did not check the water bill as my husband pays that one so I do not know what the increase was. People from the water company have been going around asking questions regarding the property, I know that they asked our gardner and if you have a pool or a large garden that for some reason did not show on their records chances are that the bill went way up.

Predial

Wether you asked for the discount or not on the predial you got the early paying discount and the difference f between the early discount and the INAPAM was a 100 pesos in my case so not worrying about it . However if your house is below a certain amount your discount is 50% not sure what that value is supposed to be to get that kind of discount. They seem to give the INAPAM discounts to everyone who asks for it in Chapala this year, however unless you have a small and inexpensive house you do not get a substancial discount anyways.

Just out of curiosity did you read and understand my post and subsequent replies to your understanding of my original intention?

Here is why I try to stay away from logical posts. The house value and size had nothing to do with the 30% increase of the water bill, as they have had the same information about my place for many years. I can only hope others do not have the same increase experienced by me. I think posting about factual experience is a waste of time when told by others that my claims are inaccurate.

I also paid my house tax and water bill today in Chapala. The water was quite a bit more than last year at about an 18% increase. Part of that increase, but not all, is the 16% IVA not charged in previous years.

Did you read and understand my post, the water company went around and made a lot of adjustment so may be that is what happen.

The first poster has a 3 % increase on property taxes mine went up 10 %

My water bill went up 12 % yours 30% maybe you were paying too little before or maybe there is a mistake but since they do not seem to have an even percentage increase accross the board on either bills if you feel it is a lot you have to ask them.

Water is expensive here, very expensive.

Did you read and understand my post, the water company went around and made a lot of adjustment so may be that is what happen.

The first poster has a 3 % increase on property taxes mine went up 10 %

My water bill went up 12 % yours 30% maybe you were paying too little before or maybe there is a mistake but since they do not seem to have an even percentage increase accross the board on either bills if you feel it is a lot you have to ask them.

Water is expensive here, very expensive.

The water company inspected my house 3 years ago when I bought it. Simapa flagged it for inspection at that time because there was a new owner and they jacked the rates up at that time. This time there is no reason.

The property tax office in Chapala is doing a project where they will be verifying all properties in the municipality and if there are discrepancies they will raise the taxes. I worked on a case recently where a condo association, due to a notary's error never paid taxes on the common areas and they got a bill for $200,000 in back taxes. We fought and had the tax records amended and had the bill annulled.

I also paid my property taxes today. They went up 50%. When I protested and asked why, they brought me into a back room where several other people were protesting the huge increase. Two very nice men explained to us that the city did a fly-over all homes in Chapala and Ajijic, and they showed me an aerial shot of my house. They also had a picture taken from the front, which was only my front wall and gate. They said that based on the aerial photo, they raised my square meters by 140. When I protested and said that the home was measured when it was built 14 years ago and there had been no additional construction, they said they'd come out and measure again. They set up appointments with several other people too, to go out and measure. I told them that I'd pay the taxes today, but what happens if their measurements are wrong and the taxes I paid were too high. They said that I'd get a credit on next year's bill. They were extremely courteous and dealt with some very upset people in a professional way. 50% seems outrageous, but maybe they're right and I've been getting off easy for 14 years.

Went to pay our taxes in Joco today. In October, we received a letter from the municipality telling us to show up at their office because of some discrepancies in our file. It was nothing more then them wanting to come to our house to reevaluate our property, telling us that we might be paying too much because they had miscalculated the square footage.

Ah, ah!!! We know how it works. A municipality does not send two men at your place if they are going to lose revenue. Of course, our house grew in size since we had it built 7 years ago, even though we haven’t added anything to it. It brought our square meters from 434 to 479, which means an increase. But the increase was the regular yearly increase of 4% . Big deal! Instead Of paying $3,010 we now pay $3,130.

The discount that everybody gets is the “descuento for ley de ingresos” has nothing to do with the discount for being 65 and over. In Jocotepec, it is still written on the walls that you have to be a citizen to take advantage of it. Being a permanent resident does not qualify us.

Let’s face it, why would I complain to pay $240 US of taxes for a house of this size? Even if I’d be allowed to get the discount, I would not claim it. Let them get some revenue. They need it.

When we bought the house the property tax bill was for a home valued at 52 millions old pesos and 650 sqm

The bill was low and I did not pay much attention to it and then I thought 650 m2 who are they kidding so I measure the house and areas under roof and I came up with 300 m2 so I went to Chapala and told them to come and remeasure. I had to pay for their cab ride and a smallf ee and they came up with 450m2 They included the pool a palapa area and a terrasse without a roof and came up with 450m2. better than 650 so I took it but it is still wrong....No refund..for the overpayments over several years.

I checked and looking form the ley de ingresos from 2013 they taxed people at .20 per thousand pesos of value and for 2014 it lists .25 so they raised property taxes 25%?

f) Predios edificados cuyo valor real se determine en los términos de la
Ley de Hacienda Municipal del Estado de Jalisco, sobre el valor determinado,
el: 0.20

II. Predios urbanos:
a) Predios edificados, cuyo valor real se determine en los
términos de las Leyes de Hacienda Municipal y de Catastro Municipal
del Estado de Jalisco, sobre el valor determinado, el: 0.25

It looks like they also reassessed the value of houses how I am not sure and how the figured the amount on mine last year when the value was in old pesos I am not sure either , it is all very confusing..

Thanks for the answer anyways, I am going to see if this is what we were billed...

Thanks Intercasa but it if I apply the formula I am paying less than I should..not complaining but something is off..nothing unusual there. That is taling the new value they assigned to the house from the 2014 bill.

Nothing makes sense when it should be pretty simple.

I am not sure, the law also spoke of bimestral calculations and then an extra 27 pesos, I just quoted after I checked the 2 laws from the 2 years, my property taxes only rose 10%, none of it makes too much sense.

Here is the water info for purposes of comparison for metered service so looks like in 2014 it went up 10%?!

Can't find info but minimum amount was 104.29

Cuando el consumo mensual no rebase los 15m3 que para uso doméstico mínimo se estima,
deberá el usuario de cubrir una cuota mínima mensual de $114.72 y por cada metro cúbico excedente,
conforme las siguientes:
TARIFAS
16 - 30 m3 $8.77
31 - 45 m3 $8.93
46 - 60 m3 $9.44
61 - 75 m3 $9.52
76 - 90 m3 $9.74

Thanks for digging out the information. Most peole are not metered out here so they are using some formula to figure out what people are using and sometimes I wonder if some people would not do better just paying for what they use. At least they could control their usage.

Archived