Chapala.com Webboard

Maria isabela (old Posada)

traderspoc

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Went there Sun. for their brunch and again this afternoon. If you haven't tried this new (old location) restaurant it's a must. The new owner is going all out with renovating the restaurant and the beach front property. The all you can eat brunches are quite large and the food is delicious. Plenty of friendly servers.

The hours for the brunches are Mon. thru Fri. from 11 to 2 (69p)

Sat. and Sun. from 11 to 3 (89p)

Today he also mentioned that they are going to start having wine tasting once a week maybe starting next week.

Anybody care to be specific about what you ate?

I walk by it regularly, and the place is definitely looking a whole lot better. The new entrance is a huge improvement, much more inviting. Same with the terrace outside.

BTW, I think the name of the restaurant is Maria Isabel.

You're right about the name, it's Maria Isabel. As to the food. There is about 15 different items. There all a couple of egg dishes, there's meat fajitas, chicken fajitas, rice, beans, re-fried beans, chimichangas, burritos, taco shells and bowls to make your own. They have a chef to make quesadillas out of the ingredients of your choice using about 6 different types of tortilla.

For dessert they have gelatin, rice pudding and pastries. If you like the hot pastry from Guadalajara pharmacy it is basically the same. Both are provided by the owner's brother-in-law from Guadalajara.

I'm sure I'm probably forgetting something, it's quite a spread and you can eat as much as you want. Fortunately we don't live close by or I would be eating there every day and packing on the weight!

Went there today for Sunday Brunch. 89 pesos for the buffet included one mimosa.

BIG spread with many choices. Egg dishes; chicken, flank steak for tacos and many other choices. Delicious flaky pastry, fruit, and dessert, too. The rice pudding was especially good. Comparing it to another buffet brunch in Ajijic.....no comparison. This one is much better. Hope they keep up the quality. Today the place was packed with large groups. We got there early, and a good thing we did.

I stuck my head in there yesterday afternoon to glance at the menu, and they also had the buffet set up. Wow! What a spread....and it looked really good! We had other plans for later, so didn't have a chance to try it, but will soon. The owner (or manager) was telling me they offer the same spread during the week - sans mimosa - for $69. And that seems sort of impossible, but we'll see. The restaurant looks so much better inside, as well. They've put a lot of effort into it.

Had lunch there yesterday. This is now my Restaurant of choice in Ajijic. My wife and I are vegetarian and we have a hard time eating out in Mexico. There were plenty of choices on the buffet we could eat. And at 69 pesos, what a bargain. I would have paid that for just the rice and beans.

Today was the first time that I had noticed this new restaurant in the old Posada location, but I only stopped by today for a para llevar cerveza after walking the pooch along the Malecón. I did however pick up, scan, and attach their menu, which looks very interesting. It doesn't mention the brunches though, so thank you DC5 for that heads up. We'll try their brunch this Saturday for the spousal unit's birthday. She L-O-V-E-S a good brunch. I wanted to take her to Tango, but nooooo, she would rather do a good brunch. Maybe I talk her into doing both. ;-) We will also try comida or cena here sometime soon with such an intriguing menu. With Yves relocated away from the lake, it's nice to have another good spot right along the lake!post-18374-0-37014500-1390524783_thumb.j

Good looking menu, nice selection, vary typical of Mexican variety restaurants here. Interesting that they have an English version. And I like that they are keeping the reference to the vieja posada. On a side note, I tried the sopa azteca: overpriced for soup of that type, and size bowl, and just plain awful.

What time did you go? We're usually there between 12 and 1 and they always have plenty of rice pudding, custards, and of course the ubiquitous gelatins. I'm surprised to hear about the waiters, they seem to have more than the usual restaurants down here. I'm glad you mentioned it to the owner though he seems very open to suggestions.

What time did you go? We're usually there between 12 and 1 and they always have plenty of rice pudding, custards, and of course the ubiquitous gelatins. I'm surprised to hear about the waiters, they seem to have more than the usual restaurants down here. I'm glad you mentioned it to the owner though he seems very open to suggestions.

We came in at 1pm. Whilst going through the brunch line noticed that there were 2 rice puddings left..my mistake I should have pick it then...dozens of the gelatin left

I am not sure about more than usual staff.

The owner eventually took our drink order. When we went to pay the bill at the counter, the bar tender was also the cashier. They had one kid wiping the plates the the start of the brunch ,and I only saw two other "bodies" waiting tables

Was there today, arriving about 1:30. There was a large-ish group outside and several tables occupied inside. Service was very attentive and friendly. Owner came by a couple of times, and we had a nice chat. Had the buffet and the food was good. Took a rice pudding along with my main course just in case.

The place is physically much improved over its previous incarnation. The owner said he still is working on it, that in a few weeks it will be even better.

There is a full bar and alcoholic drinks are not listed on the menu. Had margaritas. I liked them very much--tasted like the real thing. My friend said they were tart for her.

BTW, there was a nice fire in the fireplace (both sides) and the view through the windows of sunshine sparkling on the lake was beautiful and relaxing. It was a nice way to spend an afternoon. We were glad we had decided to try it and deemed it a "come-back-again" place for us.

I am worrying now if they are doing the "put it in the fridge and serve it again the next day" routine because, after having a fine brunch there last Sunday, we tried it for lunch yesterday. Spouse got horrible bout of diarrhea later that afternoon, lasting all night.

The only thing he ate that I didn't was the whole beans and the pasta salad. I stuck to the made-on-the-spot tacos and some eggs. We were there early (around 11:30) and when they opened the buffet, the cooked flank steak wasn't warm, nor was the shredded chicken. That's what makes me wonder if they are preparing it fresh each day or............

Even though everything was tasty and the place was attractive......no mas. No point in talking to the owner about that kind of issue.

And yes, I do know that you can get bugs just about any way other than the food you eat. It was the lukewarmness of the meats that got me thinking, more than anything else.

Do I assume that you can not refrigerate restaurant left overs ?...If i have some left overs at home and want to save them I put them in the frig for the next day?

Assuming that 's a serious question. :unsure: ..........of course people, including restaurants, refrigerate leftovers. The question is: how many days should they keep heating them up and serving them, especially in a situation where they sit out on a counter for hours with the customers breathing on them?

I would like to know the policy of that particular restaurant, which serves essentially the same selection for brunch every day from 11-2. Until they're used up?

I think it's pretty gross for any restaurant not to serve fresh food without informing you. And if they informed you, you wouldn't eat it. Other than salt & pepper stuff, anything that's been cooked once for a service should not be served again.

That being said, it's pretty hard to get the runs from day-old food. It has to go bad at some point first. More likely it was mishandled, right?

I think it's pretty gross for any restaurant not to serve fresh food without informing you. And if they informed you, you wouldn't eat it. Other than salt & pepper stuff, anything that's been cooked once for a service should not be served again.

That being said, it's pretty hard to get the runs from day-old food. It has to go bad at some point first. More likely it was mishandled, right?

Or possibly, it's more than a day old. How about a week old? Who knows?

From now on, we're limiting buffets to those which are served only on special occasions and therefore, prepared fresh for the occasion, like Manix for Thanksgiving and Christmas or Roberto's for Mexican Independence day. Just don't want to have that experience again, no matter how tasty the fare.

Had lunch at Tony's today and had the pleasure of being able to see the cook, cooking the chicken for the sandwich. Comfort in food.

Gringal, in an earlier post you stated there was "No point in talking to the owner about that kind of issue". Why not? If I ate somewhere and I knew that was what made me sick I would certainly tell the owner. I've eaten there about 5 times now, including today, and I've never had a problem with the freshness of the food. If there is a problem I'm sure he would want to know. There is nothing that will kill a restaurant's business faster than people saying they get sick from eating the food.

Archived