Chapala.com Webboard

Beer here

The other thread about The Best Sandwich was getting off topic, but into an interesting one about wines and beer. Kevin mentioned Bohemia, Modelo and Noche Buena among others as being some of the best. I can only agree on some of them because he specified the big breweries, and so it is interesting to note that with the sudden acceptance of microbreweries in Mexico, one can see that so very many of these big beers are not that good at all. And only acceptable ice cold. Noche Buena is just too bitter for me. I actually think Corona Extra is better than many, in terms of being rather quiet and tasty.

The only micro I can remember is the last one I tried: Lola, over at Reddy Sandwich, which was stunningly different. Yes, I said it: stunningly.

Minerva out of Guadalajara makes some very good brews and a few so-so ones (available at Walmart if you're lucky). There are a growing other microbreweries (many clustered near the northern border, especially around Tijuana). One problem for some of these new craft breweries is quality control and for many it is the availability and cost of good ingredients - particularly hops and yeast (critical to any good craft beer). Over the past few years I've gotten to know a number of very ambitious homebrewers centered in Guadalajara, most of whom learned their craft from biochemist Elba Copado (who BTW conducts frequent beer-making workshops in Guad, Mexico City and elsewhere.) For myself, while I enjoy an occasional Pacifico, I much prefer the brews produced by our tiny beer group we formed locally about 3 or so years ago. (At the moment, the group is limited to just four regular members due to supply and other constraints, so this is not an advertisement.)

BTW, I wish some entrepreneur would step in to replace El Figon, which before its untimely demise served a variety of Mexican craft brews (some very good).

I agree with both of you, but the strangehold the two big breweries have on the market here shows no signs of abating. Not only is there no shelf space available for micros, but just getting raw ingredients is prohibitively expensive, resulting in typical retail prices of 30-50 pesos or more for a single bottle of typical Mexican microbrews - when you can find them. Decent wine is considerably cheaper, on a per-serving basis.

Sadly the best mass market beers that Mexico produces are barely mediocre....a step up only to someone who drinks Bud or Coors. When we're back NOB we're always stunned to drink beer with real flavor - and it sells for about the same price as Negra Modelo or the like down here.

El Figon was great while they lasted. A real loss. I guess the solution is either join oregonduck and his friends and take up home brewing, or learn to like Tequila :P

Beer, what a great subject, but due to mass market, the quality of beers has gone down after 70 years of beer drinking.....AS THEY A GOOD GLASS OF BEER IS HARD TO FIND. and micro breweries are trying to fill that gap, Thank them for that...Bud and Corona are for the birds Dead ones Bohomia beats all American beers except for the micros.... An old goat and beer affectionado!!!!

Well, being Canadian, I have lots of experience with pretty good beers. At least, I know they were much better than any American beer I ever tasted. But now with the small breweries here in Mexico alone, I can see they are lacking as well.

Archived