Chapala.com Webboard

NOISE in Riberas

eagles100

We've experienced noise before but tonight takes the cake.

We could barely hear the TV and we had it LOUD.

Anyone else irritated?

I can only take electronic music so long.

Anybody know where it's coming from?

Yes, I know what country I'm in and no, I don't suffer from deafness yet.

Can you tell me where to buy noise-cancelling headphones?

Check out the article in the Guadalajara Reporter regarding the new noise laws. Even before these laws were passed when you call the police about excessive noise many times they respond.

I found the article:

http://www.theguadalajarareporter.com/columns/columns/john-pint/43277-are-you-dreaming-of-a-quiet-new-year-new-federal-norms-list-decibel-limits-for-noise

....and bear in mind that this is the Holiday time of year where there are more people off work, and therefore, more parties. When people don't have to work the next day, it's "let 'er rip" the night before.

Haven't any of you folks lived next door to a houseful of teenagers in the States? There's a reason they sell ear plugs at every drug store....here and there.

Since I live in Ajijic Centro, I hear 'em all: cohetes, eventos and the whole taco. Such is life in this noisy country. It will be interesting to hear from anyone who called the police with the new noise level law in place. lol.

My guess? the police will have been taken care of . You'll be known as the party pooper.

I've lived through a LOT of noise here but last night was absolutely CRAZY. We truly thought it was next door to us but when I stepped onto the street just to see what was going on, I then saw the house next to ours was as quiet as usual. I was really nuts. I rented in central Ajijic and the noise there was NOTHING compared to last night here.

Gee, maybe I should start renting out my DB meter, I bet the officials in Chapala don't even have one. Mine is a high class cheap meter that I purchased maybe 10 to 15 years ago from Radio Shack. I hope I took the old batteries out. :)

Funny thing about Mexico, Its a happy, fun loving culture that embraces loud noisy merriment....

I hear its quiet in Sun City, Az......

I'm sure it is, and I sincerely doubt that the OP would want to live there. Sometimes, people just reach their limit of hearing someone else's party and blow a fuse. That's human.

The problem here is highly amplified sound. Musicians can't make that much noise all by themselves.

Many Mexicans also complain about noise, it is not a foreigner prerogative. I am not sure why foreigners think they have to put people down for not enjoying loud music. Some people like it and some do not. Unless you are right there being bothered by it you really do not know what you are talking about or what the person who is complaining is going through.

Maybe the person is oversensitive and maybe it is awful for anyone there. Who cares what they do in Sun City AZ.

Very costly but worth every penny IMHO. Not only for blocking out horrid noisy parties but also great for their original purpose, on airplanes! Years ago when I traveled a lot more than I do now I invested in a pair of Bose Q15's and have never regretted it. They block out an incredible amount of sound and can help keep you sane around here.

When we lived in Chapala Haciendas there was a large house being built up on a hill. The workers would decide every once in a while to stay and party and it was not fun for the rest of the fracc. The police were called 3 times over a period of 5 years for noise at that house and one other, they always responded promptly, the music was always turned down to a level where everyone else could sleep and they never seemed to brand us or any of our neighbors (many were Mexicans) as being party poopers. We have had our share of exposure to the local police and thankfully we have not had a bad experience yet. I will keep my fingers crossed on that one though.

Really good noise canceling headphones create a remarkable barrier between your auditory nerves and the rest of the world, including the tv. Even less expensive ones can do a good job of softening what you do hear and an even better job if also plugged into an ipod or kindle, etc. Best Buys, Radio Shack, or even the electronics departments in Liverpool and similar GDL stores would be likely sources.

Archived