Chapala.com Webboard

Why has the local donkey population declined in the last decade?

RVGRINGO

When we first moved here, there were donkeys everywhere. Burros were used for local deliveries of potting soil, firewood and other items, and there were wild herds of them in some areas.

Now, we see very few and wonder what happened to them to cause such a sudden decline.

Well, there were rumors of large scale sales of burros for export and now I believe that to have been the case. Here is a current news article that may explain it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25573471

There were burros everywhere when I first moved here more than 12 years ago. I think the expat population grew and there was no longer any room on the narrow streets since they were being used by cars. And much of the land that was farmed is now home developments. I see burros over on the other side of the lake and in Jocotepec. Fewer expats there.

RV,

Sent you some interesting info, dating back to 2004 and the decline of the Mexican Burro. Think the story originated in Tala, Jalisco. I would have copied and pasted here, but for some reason site will not let me.

Fox

Along with the decline of burros there is a major decline of parking spaces,,I bet the too are related. I know that a couple of peopl e wo used to come by with burros come b with old pick-ups. It would be interesting to find out where the donkeys..Maybe the became tacos just like in France the were used for saucisson.

Perhaps they have all been taken to China....

Wal-Mart recalls fake donkey-meat snacks in China

Edited by moderator to remove sideways political comment

Moderator,

What sideways political comment? It is a fact that that Walmart has had to remove donkey meat snacks from their stores in China because DNA tests show they were contaminated with other meats including fox. Not sure if donkeys and burros are the same species or if burros are asexual donkeys of vice versa but I'll bet they are close.

JRPJR the sideways remark was the one about Fox News and the LA Times. That is all that was deleted. The part of your post about the donkeys was not edited.

Not everyone agrees with your views about which information sources have veracity and which don't. Please leave those judgements out of future posts, thanks.

You completely missed it Moderator 2. The "Fox" I was kidding about was the one who posts on this board and who had the post immediately prior to mine on this subject. It had nothing to with FOX News and the LA Times was only mentioned because it was the source in Google news for the story about the Walmart donkey meat in China being contaminated with fox meat. Thus I said something to the effect that "I hate to say this but the donkey meat was contaminated with fox." Corny, but not political in the least.

My friend rescued a burro which was going to go to a pet food plant in the Joco area. I guess a farmer can make more $$ from selling his burro for pet food, than using it for transportation. And some posts are right, the wild ones don't have the space they need to roam and forage anymore. True of all the wild animals in the world. Maybe except the bears ans wolves in the far northern forests.

Archived