Chapala.com Webboard

Need a quality pool cover

eagles100

We have a 10' x 30' rectangular pool and need a cover for it.

We finally put in solar panels and as soon as CFE decides to change our meter, we'll be able to afford to put the pool pump on for a lot more time per day to heat up the water.

I've seen older threads on people looking for pool covers and some of you resorted to buying them in the US. We're Canadians so it's not so easy, I presume. We don't plan on going to the US other than going through, to get to Canada and that won't be for a while for sure.

Did anyone find a supplier of QUALITY pool covers either Lakeside or in Guadalajara?

I know there was talk of 15 mil covers.

We'd appreciate your input. Thanks

We finally put in solar panels and as soon as CFE decides to change our meter, we'll be able to afford to put the pool pump on for a lot more time per day to heat up the water.

I've seen older threads on people looking for pool covers and some of you resorted to buying them in the US. We're Canadians so it's not so easy, I presume. We don't plan on going to the US other than going through, to get to Canada and that won't be for a while for sure.

Did anyone find a supplier of QUALITY pool covers either Lakeside or in Guadalajara?

Obtained a price of 5,300pesos for 20ftx40ft to day from pool supply store west end of Ajijic where Med supply and Miller beer store located..just east of Calle Aquiles Serdan. One quality only.

The sad truth is that no matter what thickness you buy the cover will last two years max. I've bought them her and from the US. US is cheaper but with shipping not much different. My advice is buy the lowest cost one you can find her, there are many pool supply places, and prepare to replace it in two years.

I find the store that lakeside7 mentioned is very expensive. If you continue west on the carretera to Home Solutions (beside where the Junky Monkey was) you will find much better prices. That being said any of the pool covers only seem to last a maximum of two years. From what I've seen the solar rings are worse. For one thing they leave big gaps (why don't they make square ones?) where heat can be lost. After several years they leak and need to be patched after which they look awful.
Total covers also keep more debris out of the pool than rings.

The Solar Sun Rings, by design, only cover 70 to 80% of a pool surface and still heat very effectively. The circular design and open space is intentional.

And you don't need to remove them all, even, to swim - only one "lanes" worth, which takes less than a minute to do.

There isn't a "perfect" cover, but these work well for many folks.

From a home in central Ajijic that has had them for 2 years and like most users who take care of them, is very happy with the use and results:

Happy New Year, the sun is back!

fu99if.jpg

We got a solar cover from Albercas del Lago, 7ft by 35ft and was $2100p. I find it does not do much good this time of year. Just lose the heat it did make during the day in the overnight.

When you find one,please share the price and from whom you purchased your cover

Just sayin' - what?

Above post is not clear without additional info.

What is the temp of the pool itself? If it is 50-55, like the air has been at night, then 66 in one pass is a nice rise and will continue to build.

What type of panels are in use? Brand, size, quantity. What is the volume of the pool?

Heating water takes huge amounts of energy, that is why solar is so popular for both domestic water heating and for pool use, and it works great when setup properly and with the use of a good cover to retain what is made during the day.

The solar rings would be much more effective if they were square so the the gaps for heat to escape were much smaller. I'm surprised no one makes them like that. You don't need a roller with a solid cover. Mine is a solid one and I can take it off and put it on myself.

I like the idea of the Sun rings because I am told they are safer with pets and children. So many drownings with the solid covers scared me off. I plan to buy them when my construction is finished. Where can they be seen ???/

@ Cedros - you are repeating yourself, sir, I've already addressed your "square" comment made "last year". :-) >> They heat so effectively that it is not recommended to cover the entire surface with them. And they couldn't very well call them "rings" if they were square, now, could they? ;-)

In the pool shown above in my other post, it was the first time the owners could swim in Dec/Jan since having the pool, and they already had a substantial solar heating system. The Solar Sun Rings made the difference. And with the size of many pools, most people cannot remove a one piece cover on their own, even with a roller, much less without one.

@ Sue - you are quite right, the rings are highly praised for their efficacy, ease of use, and their safety. They raft together using magnets on the edges for light contact, and come apart easily when desired or when needed, and this feature has proven very valuable for both convenience and safety if a child or dog falls into a pool, unlike a one piece cover. PM me and I'll be happy to advise you further.

Ron,

I have 7 standard (Israel?) panels and my pool is 8600 gallons, 7x34 feet and 5 1/2 ft deep. Having had a pool for over 15 years NOB, I maintain it is hard if not impossible to keep it above 80 F when the ambient air temp is in the 50's and during this time of year when the sun is low in the sky. It is the same reason that my solar electric system produces 11kw on a GOOD day right now vs. over 17kw beginning latter part of Feb.

Go Solar if the round rings heated so effectively they would be even more effective if they were square. Square ones would also keep out more debris. They would be called solar squares. One of the larger Condominium developments in the area is thinking of switching from solar rings to a solid cover as they have too many problems with the rings.

My pool is smaller and I have no roller and I'm old and I can put the cover on and off by myself. A neighbor has a much larger pool with a roller and they aren't spring chickens either and they can take it on and off with one person.

Sue makes a good point.

The development I think you are referring to has had the SSR for 2 years, we deal with the B of D there, and you don't live there, do you? Please don't speak for others. And feel free to patent and manufacture the square ones if you like! :-)

-------------------------

As stated earlier, there is really no perfect cover; all take some combination of investment, maintenance / replacement, and work to use.

For those who like to swim this time of the year, (other than polar bears) they are pretty much a necessity, and also very useful toward the end of the dry season when evaporation becomes a significant factor in daily water loss.

That's another advantage of the SSR - they can be flipped over to limit evaporation, without adding heat to the pool, as the top is clear, and the bottom is deep blue.

Archived