Chapala.com Webboard

Renewing Mexican plated car registration

desertdave

You have up until April 1st to avoid fines.

No need to do emissions test prior to renewing, they only require it when transferring ownership

So, Spencer, are you saying that you don't need to do an ANNUAL emissions test?

Muchas gracias.

NO, you still need your annual emission test......just not necessary in conjunction with paying your annual car fee.

You actually don't need one here but it's required in Guadalajara. So if you go to Guad from time to time it's best to have the sticker.

Yes all need to do an annual emissions test but as the dates correspond to the last digit on your license plate, it is not a requirement to do before paying the annual registration renewal. Now everybody statewide must do the emissions test.

Here is the schedule (use the first column)

Tabla.png

I have a 6 month old 2014 vehicle - does it need to get an emissions test? The plate ends in 3.

No, but you do need to do it in March. When buying a new or used vehicle, you get an emission test when purchasing when the ownership changes. Then once you get your plates and you find out that your number is coming up again later in the year, you need to get a second emissions test for that year only and keep both stickers on the window. From that point on you only need to do it once a year and can then remove the last year's stickers to put the new one in their place if you want to. You have to keep the documentation of the emissions tests and annual renewals forever for when you sell the vehicle, so many folks let all the stickers accumulate until you can barely see out of the window. The paperwork suffices, but I'm sure some are dubious and leave the stickers on for extra measure. I'll take mine off and stick them on to a piece of plastic wrap to keep them with my papers.

I bought a new car in May that got an 8 plate, so I had to do a second test in Sept. These instructions are per S&S Auto.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived