Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for Oil Cloth to cover table

sm1mex

Just saw some red and white checked oil cloth at the fabric store on the side of the plaza by the church. Parraquoia??? Nice quality but not felt backed. It was 28 pesos a meter, even less than what Soriana charges.. For a big selection, you need to go into Guad.

bought some on the the lake side of the tianguis street north of the plaza in Jocotepec, maybe 1 1/2 blocks east of the actual tianguis. Doesn't have the soft backing like the stuff in the States, but the top is just like oilcloth. The store sells a lot of pots, pans, tubs, etc., but it's the one on the lake side of the street. Ask for el mantel de hule.

In Ajijic, you can find it at the tianguis on the east side, fairly close to the top. I'd say she's close to being across from the opening onto Guadalupe Victoria, the street that runs along the backside of Plaza Bugambilias.

yes by the big church. on the same street as the ice cream. I found the selection at the tiangus very limited. Soriana had poor choices but the red and white check right off the Ajijic square was quite nice and "good price" as is said.

• 10 months later...

Dragging up an old thread...

I didn't see any at the store across from the school in Ajijic, but I admit the noise from the guys re-paving the street outside drove me out of the store quickly. Besides the Tianguis, is it available anywhere else in Ajijic? And how do you say "oil cloth" in Spanish. If I recall, it is not a direct translation. Seems there's a special word.

I bought mine in Guadalajara. Big selection of colors.

I found a plywood work bench that I turned into a kitchen island.

I painted it white and covered the top with royal blue oilcloth.

I looked at the 2 fabric stores in Chapala, the shop by the church in Ajijic

and the tiangus and couldn't find any solid colorsthat I Iliked.

You really need to see the selections in Guad.

maw

Archived