Chapala.com Webboard

X-Mas dinner for the firemen

WOW how time flies!

Tomorrow we will be taking X-Mas dinner to the firemen who are on duty, and are away from Family,

We have a ham, and a casserole. If you would like to say “thank you” to our first responders PLEASE take a snack to them also. 11:00 ish… they are right on libramiento…..

Just a note these wonderful people rotate between Protection Civil, and Cruz Rojo…….

Please don't forget these guys. They're the ones who came and cleared out thousands of bees from an old vent in our home. They wouldn't take a peso as a "thank you" after spending hours here. I know this is the time of year when the needs of so many become even more urgent, but please try to see if you can add a little nibble for the firemen to say thanks.

IMO the firemen and paramedics in Mexico are the finest public servants in the whole country.

I agree! they are a great bunch of guys.....I just wish a few more people would take a few minutes, to make or buy something to take to them......... to thank them for being there, for any one who needs help, changing a flat tire, removing bees, or rescuing a kitten from a tree, or SAVING a life..... they are there for us 24 hours a day 7 days a week!

Other people DO help out, you just don't necessarily hear about it, I was told they didn't have blankets at the firehouse, so I

made a quilt for them and my neighbors bought 6 or 7 blankets at a sale. We took all out to the firehouse last week so they can

at least sleep warmly.

Merry Christmas Tingting. I'll put the word out among our circle and see if we can come up with something at the last minute.

BTW, I would be willing to bet that our fireman celebrate Christmas, not something called Xmas. What are you celebrating when you're celebrating an "X:" exactly?

:D

Sorry, I didn't mean "you" in the personal context. Should have written it as "one" as in "what is one celebrating when one is celebrating "XMas?"

I definitely noted your correct use of the name for the holiday and wished you a Merry Christmas. Which I'll repeat now.

I still can't figure out how one celebrates an X. I guess that's what happens when one gets old and senile. :D

You most certainly didn't offend. Just making an observation.

Happy New Year!

BTW, I hope many of you took the time to go by the churches in either Ajijic or Chapala and enjoy the live Nativity displays. They were really wonderful.

Didn't get a chance this year....... But WOW some the light displays! Beautiful!

Happy New Year!!!!!

Many Christians feel that putting an X at the beginning of the word Christmas is a way of removing Christ from the holidays. I was at a local Jewish doctor last week and this subject came-up. General opinion: it's not polite. BUT, if one must abbreviate - use a cross and not an X. Merry +mas.

To shed a little historical light on the origin of Xmas...

Xmas is not a modern term designed to secularize Christmas, although many people assume otherwise because they are unaware of its true origin. The Greek letter chi, which looks like our X, is the first letter in Christ if you happen to be writing in Greek. The symbol X has been used as an abbreviation of Christ for centuries, and the term Xmas has appeared in English literature since the 1700s.

I've known that X represents Christ since I was a child, although I can't remember where I got the information. Wikipedia gives a good explanation of the history behind the term if you're interested.

So there is no need to take offense at either term - Christmas and Xmas have the same meaning.

Archived