Chapala.com Webboard

How to keep those varmints out of my patio pots

Arjay

An animal has been digging into a couple of my tall patio pots and scattering soil over the patio - damn nuisance. It's happened during the day so I suspect it's a squirrel.

Any advice on how to keep them away? The funny thing is that one of the plants is a crown of thorns and he's gone digging in that one twice in 2 days. Must have a thick skin. Thanks.

We had a squirrel in our back yard digging up everything, it was a pain and a big mess, we tried amonia didn't work, there are very large rocks and he would move them, we flooded his holes, for some reason he finally quit digging but I still do see him or her in the yard every now and again.

I heard moth balls from the $store work.

we also have skunks and possums and they do not dig the pots so it may be that there are some type of insect that would attract the possum or that they like the roots of the plants you have in the pots. Squirrels could be it too, you have to eliminate the possibilities one at a time. Get the larger rocks or like an other poster said large broken tiles, something a little heavy and you can see what happens.. It all depends what attracts te animal to your pot..good luck figuring it out.

We had squirrels dig in our pots and we got hardware cloth (the wire made of little squares and comes in a roll) at the hardward store by Sunrise restaurant. We cut it into pieces and put it around the plants on the dirt and it works but a lot of work and the stuff is sharp when you cut into it. River rocks sounds much easier and safer.

We had squirrels dig in our pots and we got hardware cloth (the wire made of little squares and comes in a roll) at the hardward store by Sunrise restaurant. We cut it into pieces and put it around the plants on the dirt and it works but a lot of work and the stuff is sharp when you cut into it. River rocks sounds much easier and safer.

I have soil to top up the pots and my river rocks and will get my gardener to do it tomorrow, since those rocks weigh a ton. Will let you know how it works.

Joco's urination suggestion is definitely not on my radar, especially onto the crown of thorns - OUCH !!

Well just to add to the confusion, we have been complaining about something digging into our planters & pots. So yesterday I hear a clattering of the flat river rocks that we cover some of the planters with. Looking over to source the sound I find a large 200-250mm grey/brown bird with a large stout curved black beak eyeing me. Sibley Guide to Bird's reduces the species to possibly a Curved Bill Thrasher! So you never know? I have had cat paw prints on the hood of our car so had suspected it as well.

It makes sense if you have some goodies for that bird in your pot why not? Nature is funny that way.I would not have thought of a bird but it makes sense. Blaming a cat was my first thought but they are not the only ones digging..

Our neighbor in California had a pool by a creek full of kois, one day I went by and they were all gone. We never found out what happened. Some people suspected a bear, I suspected a river otter but there was an electic wire around the pool so who knows..

I use "malla de gallina" (chicken wire) I get it at Jara. or use a few of "mosquitero screen".

Archived