Chapala.com Webboard

Next Week Tianguis

hensley

Most of the tianguis vendors take much more care concerning what veggies they buy and sell, when they go to Guadalajara at the crack of dawn (or earlier). WalMart and Soriana, who knows where they get their stuff, but they couldn't give a single damn about the quality. WalMart's biggest laugh has to be the "Tuesday vegetable specials", where they get a ton of typically poor produce and actually raise prices on some of it. I've seen white onions go from 9 to 22 pesos on a Tuesday.

And there I was Monday: no cauliflower, no celery, no mushrooms, tiny potatos, no leaf or sangre lettuce... what's up with that? Market in Chapala today had everything I wanted, including gigantic caulis.

Absolutely right and when we buy at the tianquis, we are buying from very hard working Mexican family businesses which we prefer to support as much as possible over a corporate conglomerate like WalMart. That doesn't mean that we don't go there for certain staples but when it comes to the stuff sold at the tianquis we buy there first. Among other things, we can do so without getting the car out.

Local stores are not owned by hard Mexican people?? The Tuesday market , SLdoe snot have hard Mexican workers ? Who the heck is working for Walmart or Soriana ? How about Mexican workers??

THe tianguis made sense 10 years ago when most of the veggies would be staying on shelves until they rotted but it is not true any longer so I support the local stores and do not need to go to the tianguis any longer.

Local stores are not owned by hard Mexican people?? The Tuesday market , SLdoe snot have hard Mexican workers ? Who the heck is working for Walmart or Soriana ? How about Mexican workers??

THe tianguis made sense 10 years ago when most of the veggies would be staying on shelves until they rotted but it is not true any longer so I support the local stores and do not need to go to the tianguis any longer.

Your choice. Just for fun, check the wages that are paid at Walmart and Soriana.

We find the fruits and vegetables at the Tianquis to be quite fresh and competitively priced and we are dealing direct with the family members there. We cut out the middleman. Their prices are competitive and we believe more money goes directly into their pockets. Plus we walk to the market and avoid adding to the car traffic and pollution. Given how little we eat at our age, it makes sense to buy close to home. So we do.

Have no idea why you trotted out the Tuesday market and Soriana when I only mentioned Walmart since we shop at the Tuesday market occasionally as well. We don't shop at Soriana since we only use the chains for staples, they are much closer to us at Walmart.

That's our choice.

A Mexican friend told me in Spanish an expression which means fruit/vegs sold at the tianguis is 2nd day stuff..on the second day it goes bad..that comes from a Mexican........most of the small store stuff is obtained daily from Guad abastos market

Your Mexican friend has given you information that I have never found to be true. Quite the opposite. I've been buying fruits, vegetables, and most everything else I use in the kitchen (including meats, cheeses, and dairy) at one tianguis or another, including the Ajijic Wednesday tianguis, since I have lived in Mexico--a VERY long time--and everything has always been fresh and delicious. It's rare for me to buy anything except certain staples like laundry soap and toilet paper anywhere but a tianguis.

Most the people at the Wednesday tianguis are middlemen just like the people are at the local stores.

The Tuesday tianguis is close to our house so I sometimes go there and there is no middleman there. Finding fresh vegetables is not the problem it used to be so the Wednesday market is less relevant to us and we have to drive there so one more reason not to go..

We also have great fish close to the house so I do not buy the fish at the tianguis like I used to do. I always found the products fresh at the tianguis if you go there early in the day. .

I shop everyday for fruit or veggies or whenever I need them and I do shop at Walmart for staples as well.

I brought up Walmart because you emphasize how you buy from" hard working Mexicans "and I just want to point out that Soriana and Walmart are employing Mexicans as well. I know a woman who would be on the street with her 6 kids if it were not for her job at Soriana so we may think that the jobs there are lousy but it is thanks to her Soriana job that she can feed her family.

Most people at the tianguis on Wednesday are middlemen. There are a few that are not but they do not offer anything different from the abastos, compare that to the market in Patzcuaro or in San Cristobal de las Casas and you get the idea. Down there we get wild musrhooms when it is the season, river snails, ants, greens I have never seen before and all kinds of interesting fruit and vegetables, not so in Ajijic . You also get free range chicken that will break your teeth if not cooked for hours....

I have nothing against revendors and I am not putting down the product from the abastos but I am saying that the local farmers are not the ones selling at the Wednesday tianguis and it shows, it is the same old stuff week after week. so just as well buy it in local stores.

I think the name of the farm or the commercial labels on the crates should be enough for anyone to have a clue.

Archived