Chapala.com Webboard

Made it through a traffic ticket

gary c.

Whenever I go to Ajijic from SJC, I hope for three things... No accidents, no traffic tickets, and a parking place. Been successful with 1 and 2 for 2 1/2 years. Today, I was pulled over for running a red light. This supposedly happened at the major intersection by Walmart. Now I must say that I am the driver that follows all speed limits, let's people get onto the road in front of me, and never runs lights. I've sat at red lights in the late hours in Vermont when there wasn't another car anywhere.

But, I've learned from this web board to just take the ticket and smile. No mordida. So, I said that I didn't run the light, but please give me the ticket. He asked for my car papers. First he fussed because they were not the originals, but (thanks Spencer) he stopped when he saw that they were notorized.

He told me I would have to go to Chapala to pay. I said that was no problem. He told me that I could go. I asked for the ticket, so I could pay it in Chapala. He said that it was OK, no ticket just have a nice day.

Off I drove. I am grateful for all the insights into handling traffic stops. And grateful that the traffic officer decided to be kind today and that my limited Spanish was enough when combined with his limited English. Maybe I'll find parking spaces next time!

Carol

Those rejoicing about Jalisco plates can expect gifts in the mail for you driving shortcomings. Just something to look forward to - just like you would get in the states for blocking the box, running a red, not stopping at a stop sign, speeding, etc, etc.Happy Holidays

Those rejoicing about Jalisco plates can expect gifts in the mail for you driving shortcomings. Just something to look forward to - just like you would get in the states for blocking the box, running a red, not stopping at a stop sign, speeding, etc, etc.Happy Holidays

What on Earth are you talking about? We've been driving in Mexico for ten years; for seven with a U.S. plated car that the local cops were often following ( obviously looking for some kind of infraction); for three years in a Jalisco plated car and haven't been followed, pulled over or given a ticket. Not expecting "gifts in the mail" this year, either. :017:

I also was stopped for turning left on a green light and pulling into Actinver in that parking lot. The kissing cop came over and said I made an illegal turn, asked for all of my papers, I had them, He told me the fine for illegal turn was 500 pesos, I said no and pulled out the laws about fines in English and Spanish, and showed him the fine was 50 pesos for an illegal turn, then he said he could have my car towed, and I said no and turned to the law which showed in English and Spanish who and when a car can be towed. he said for a gringo I had really good paper work, which most gringos don't have and he said since I had everything in order he would let me go.

It is advisable to have the laws in your glove compartment to show them when they start big dealing it.

The cameras on the GDL highway are not up on the overpasses. They are on individual poles and there at least a dozen on the drive into GDL.

The only one that seems to be active is at 33 KM which I am guessing is by the airport. I and several friends have received tickets in the mail for driving too fast at that one.

There are two or three cameras near the airport. I have been told they only operate on the weekend (my ticket was for Sunday) but who knows about that.

I try to remember to keep my speed no more then 10 Km/h over the posted limit which is 80 Km/h around the airport. My ticket was for driving 95 Km/h.

What on Earth are you talking about? We've been driving in Mexico for ten years; for seven with a U.S. plated car that the local cops were often following ( obviously looking for some kind of infraction); for three years in a Jalisco plated car and haven't been followed, pulled over or given a ticket. Not expecting "gifts in the mail" this year, either. :017:

I think the gifts in the mail they are referring to are tickets issued from cameras. I got one recently-my first in 42 years. A friend got 3 in quick succession recently. Because these vehicles are Jalisco plated they could track us down. All of thes were on trips to Guadalajara.

I also was stopped for turning left on a green light and pulling into Actinver in that parking lot. The kissing cop came over and said I made an illegal turn, asked for all of my papers, I had them, He told me the fine for illegal turn was 500 pesos, I said no and pulled out the laws about fines in English and Spanish, and showed him the fine was 50 pesos for an illegal turn, then he said he could have my car towed, and I said no and turned to the law which showed in English and Spanish who and when a car can be towed. he said for a gringo I had really good paper work, which most gringos don't have and he said since I had everything in order he would let me go.

It is advisable to have the laws in your glove compartment to show them when they start big dealing it.

Methinks that you may have made an illegal turn..not the turn left at the lights but the turn right into Actinver lot..you would be going west on a east service street? or not

Cameras are mobile,

I have seen one mobile camera located on Carretera Chapala-Guadalajara , right after Periferico, they set it up or "hide" next to the right side pole that holds the green signs :

https://maps.google.com/?ll=20.593309,-103.32279&spn=0.007332,0.011362&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=20.593486,-103.322872&panoid=UgedpO0Xh6uUkWPKA4g47A&cbp=12,328.18,,0,0

Speed limit here goes down from 80Kmh to 60 kmh , and they set the trap there.

I wonder about the airport camera that everyone talks about .

I believe it located on the GDL-Chapala direction.

My wife insists that the grey boxes located at the top right corner of the blue sign are cameras, if you look closely (zoom in) .

https://maps.google.com/?ll=20.526256,-103.291097&spn=0.01475,0.022724&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=20.52554,-103.290772&panoid=6nH8BA1mKhNQEgs_jcjuPQ&cbp=12,167.89,,2,-10.86

I am not sure about these.

I have also seen the camera in Agua Escondida, but only on weekends.

I know tons of people that have gotten tickets at K32. It's near Aguas Escondidas. It's supposedly only set up on weekends, and that's the only time I've seen it there, and the time I got a ticket was on Sunday. They set it up in the median.

I am 98% certain there are NOT cameras everywhere you see a blue "camera" sign. If there were, I would have received many, many more tickets by now.

We got ours week before last. It was hand delivered to our home by the mail fellow and he had a signed receipt for us to sign.

Congratulations and welcome to the club. Yeah, I remember having to sign the receipt from the letter carrier. I was excited thinking maybe I'd won the National Lottery or that the President wanted to meet with me to hear my views.

Anyway, this thread started out about about how to best navigate the mean streets of la ribera, so I'll give it a shot and try to put it back on track.

How to best deal with the predatory TrĂ¡nsitos working our little slice of paradise...what to do? Glad it worked out for you grc; you handled it perfectly in my opinion. Call the bluff, then call the next one, and then the next one...

Where did you get the document about conditions required in order for them to confiscate and tow your car? And the other document listing the fines?

I have the one about the law covering the legal status of your car being attached to your legal residential document but not the ones you mentioned. Thank you

I got a ticket for running the red light in front of the Coke plant in San Antonio two weeks ago. It is the light that has the yellow burned out. He wasn't a very pleasant person. I remembered I had a new cell phone with a camera in it so I took his picture. He got upset and asked me why I took his picture..... He immediately tore the ticket out of the packet and gave it to me and let me go on my way.

Anyway, I paid it the next day in Chapala. A ticket for running a red light if paid within 10 days is 33 pesos........

I got a ticket for running the red light in front of the Coke plant in San Antonio two weeks ago. It is the light that has the yellow burned out. He wasn't a very pleasant person. I remembered I had a new cell phone with a camera in it so I took his picture. He got upset and asked me why I took his picture..... He immediately tore the ticket out of the packet and gave it to me and let me go on my way.

Anyway, I paid it the next day in Chapala. A ticket for running a red light if paid within 10 days is 33 pesos........

Deleted by poster.

For ages the light "by the Coke plant" goes blank instead of yellow, so when it goes blank from green you have to think of it as yellow. The yellow on the Walmart light is ridiculous in that it is on yellow for about 1 second in an extremely long intersection. Same thing happened to us as the original poster's story; my wife speaks fluent Spanish, we had all the papers, took a little side trip to Chapala right away and if you go within a few days the fine is 1/2 off.

For ages the light "by the Coke plant" goes blank instead of yellow, so when it goes blank from green you have to think of it as yellow. The yellow on the Walmart light is ridiculous in that it is on yellow for about 1 second in an extremely long intersection. Same thing happened to us as the original poster's story; my wife speaks fluent Spanish, we had all the papers, took a little side trip to Chapala right away and if you go within a few days the fine is 1/2 off.

Many years back the lights at Walmart were in the middle of the intersection..by moving them West there is little chance that you can complete the drive west when the lights turn yellow, you get caught going through the red!!! the lights should be moved East side by Black Coffee

Where can I get a copy of the laws about fines in English and Spanish? Thanks.

Archived