Chapala.com Webboard

South Dakota Plates

DT22

I was planning on putting SD plates on a vehicle I am bringing in shortly but was recently told that getting new SD plates may no longer be an option. True? or rumor?

If this is not the case and it can still be done, can someone point me to a thread where the process is explained?

This webboard has a search function that is sometimes adequate - over to the right on top. You could search on Dakota - and change this topic to forums and search

then you would find this topic - http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?showtopic=41809&hl=dakota

which might help

If not enough information - google chapala south dakota

Just call the nice ladies in the Clay County treasurer's offoce in Vemillion, SD, and they will tell you whether they are still doing this, and if so, exactly what you need to do: 605-677-7123. It may take several calls to get thru--if they are busy with other calls, the line just goes dead.

I was planning on putting SD plates on a vehicle I am bringing in shortly but was recently told that getting new SD plates may no longer be an option. True? or rumor?

If this is not the case and it can still be done, can someone point me to a thread where the process is explained?

A lot depends on what your immigration status is going to be. Unless you're a temporary visitor, you will not be allowed to drive a foreign-plated car once you get past Tourist Visa. And depending on what kind of car you're bringing, you may not be able to legalize it once your status requires Mx plates.........

Natasha has made a very confused post, which has nothing to do with registering in SD.

If you come to Mexico on a Tourist Permit, or Residente Temporal visa, you may bring and drive any car you wish. It must be registered somewhere, and SD is a good choice for US citizens with a US mailing address.

People with Residente Permanente visas, or Mexican citizens, may not have foreign plated vehicles.

I called the "nice ladies from Clay County" about ten days ago.(and I definitely agree....they have always been pleasant and helpful) The state robots sent out a renewal card that excluded use of my visa card and an out of state check.

They told me to send the card and a personal check...Which I did last week. I've been using them for nearly ten years now and 3 different cars.

Never a problem of significance............george

I called the "nice ladies from Clay County" about ten days ago.(and I definitely agree....they have always been pleasant and helpful) The state robots sent out a renewal card that excluded use of my visa card and an out of state check.

They told me to send the card and a personal check...Which I did last week. I've been using them for nearly ten years now and 3 different cars.

Never a problem of significance............george

Agreed, the ladies are nice and helpful, and I had no trouble changing my title or getting my plates. I have been renewing for several years now. For first-timers, the best thing is to talk with them directly so you can get an idea of the fees (which are based on auto age and value) and the process.

Archived