Chapala.com Webboard

restoring framed artwork mold!!!

beano

I now live in the US but while living in Mexico I had this happen to several original watercolor paintings. If the mold is just on the matting, all you have to do is change the matting, wash the frame with a solution of vinegar and water and then replace the brown paper. If you suspect the back of the painting could also have mold the easiest thing to do is to put the painting out in the sun for a few days, after dusting it off with a soft brush. You can prevent mold for occurring by putting spacers on the back of the frames. They should be at least 1/2 inch deep so there is some distance between the wall and the painting. If there are watermarks on the painting I don't think there is anything you can do about that. I also think it's wise to periodically check the back of any paintings that are hung on an exterior wall periodically. You could use a mild vinegar/water solution on a nearly dry sponge to wipe the brown paper (not the matting or the painting itself) if mold is occurring. I learned the hard way!

The issue I ran into when replacing matting is that there is now fewer matting colors available on the Mexican market than previously so I couldn't find the color I wanted. Then Isabelle on Guadalupe Victoria Street lost my painting while she looked for a new source for matting in Guadalajara. Something she never found.

In response to LakeHeron's telling the story about the framer on Guadalupe Victoria losing her painting : (???)

Over the past few years, this small business has framed at least 50 pieces of art work for me and my husband, beautifully and inexpensively. Never lost a thing; excellent and prompt service. I highly recommend them for framing.

Just an observation on matting: it is considered best (by museums) to mat works on paper in a neutral color that does not unbalance the color scheme chosen by the artist. Double or triple white/off white matting is a classic.

Regarding mold, we should periodically check the back of framed art work for dampness in the wall it's hanging on: these walls tend to seep if they get the slightest chance. We had painted one wall a deep color, and it was not visually noticeable when that happened. Fortunately, we didn't have damage, but everything went out in the patio for a good "sun bath".

(We re-painted it white......no more sneaky damp.)

Archived