Chapala.com Webboard

Experience applying for temporal/permanente in Tucson

Kevin K

Since I've benefitted greatly from experiences others have posted here's what we recently went through in Tucson, having foolishly let our residents temporal visas expire before spending a few months back in the U.S.

We talked to a helpful albeit swamped lady at the Tucson Mexican Consulate and she informed us that per rules from Mexico City they can only grant residents permanent visas to retirees with regular Social Security or pension income who are also "of age." We are younger (late 50's) and she was very clear that no amount of assets we could show them would get us anything but residente temporal visas.

That's the bad news, but the good news is that after producing 12 months worth of brokerage statements, our marriage certificate and our passports and paying $36 each we received our stamp for the temporal visa within 24 hours.

We'll be using Spencer/Intercasa's services in converting the stamp into our temporal cards, and I have to say with all of the changes at INM it has been hugely benefical being able to work with he and Denise, who are consummately professional and have been of great help both this time and in all our previous dealings with INM.

Here's hoping the rules don't change too many more times before we're able to go permanente!

Glad to hear your husband had no problems. I spoke with Spencer about this and he says it's a matter of people at some consulates not knowing - or ignoring - the law. It does result in a lot of unnecessary hassle and expense, but considering that the Tucson consulate has to have an entire separate office dedicated to helping Mexican nationals dealing with U.S. customs and immigration hassles I certainly didn't feel right complaining too loudly. We will apply for permanante status as soon as we have our temporals in hand.

The first Residente Temporal visa typically has a one year renewal requirement. At that time, you may renew for the remainder of the four year total. Then, you go to INM within 30 days prior to that expiry date and apply for Residente Permanente without the need for financial proofs.

Archived