Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for an Art Class/Art Teacher

MsAlex

I'm looking for an art class to take part in. Rather than a "do your own thing" environment, I'm actually looking for something more structured, such as a class which moves through stages, providing real instruction, using a variety of media and techniques.

I am not a "beginner", but am more of a "returner". The class could be conducted in English or Spanish (as I speak Spanish).

'Hope someone out there can help!

:)

Alex

Javier Ramos is an excellent art teacher whose students are always pleased with the results. He teaches his classes at the former Cafe des Artes across from Sol e Luna in West Ajijic. Hopefully, someone on this web board has his phone number and/or will share it and their experiences.

Also, there is a very active art association in this area with 180 members: The Ajijic Society of the Arts (ASA), which welcomes all those interested in the various visual arts at any skill level. They meet once a month on the first Mondays at La Bodega Restaurant on 16 Septembre St. Dues are 200pesos per year, but you are welcome to attend meetings as a visitor, free. Some of the members will be showing on the Ajijic Plaza, along with visiting craftspeople from Michoacan this next Sunday. I hear they will be around the bandstand.

On the weekend of February 8th and 9th, the third annual ASA Open Studios tour will be showing 57 artists' and craftspersons' at various locations: many at the artists' home studios. The participants will be demonstrating their working process. "Passports" will be on sale shortly after the first of the year. Don't miss it!

(That goes for anyone else reading this post..don't miss it!!)

I have been teaching mixed media watercolor since 1990 in Lakeside, My classes are very popular My wednesday class has one opening and my Tuesday class has 3 openings, We paint from 1 to 4, I supply the paint and brushes, and have quality paper available.. Stop by and see the action Guadalupe Victoria #30 Ajijic Centro...Pm me and I will give you telephone number

• 4 years later...

I am trying to contact Javier Ramos to enquire about acrylic painting lessons.  Can someone please let me know his contract information?  I see from the above post that he teaches at the former Café des Arts.  What is its present name.

I am also open to seeking info on other art teachers.  Please advise.

Many thanks.....

Sandra G

I don't have a contact number for Javier, but his class currently meets Saturday mornings from 11 - 2 on the second floor of the Plaza Montana in central Ajijic.  He plans to add an addition day to the schedule very soon.  Fees for the class will increase from 250 pesos to 300 pesos in the New Year.  I have been taking Maestro Ramos' classes for over four years now and can attest to his outstanding skill as a teacher.  (Plaza Montana is located at the NE corner of Colon and the Carretera - stairway is located next to the café on the end.)

See the "Art Happenings" thread on the forum; come to the next meeting and if you are interested in joining, you will find a list of art instructors in most media on the website.  In February, on the weekend of the 10th and the 11th, you'll have the opportunity to visit the various artists' studios and often, there will be sign up lists for classes.

Archived