Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for a good Architect and Builder

seeb

I am looking for a good Architect and builder. I recently met Norberto Hernandez Ruiz, Arquitecto. He has been building houses in Ajijic for at least 10 years. I have seen some of the homes he has built but I have never talked with anyone who has any experience with him. Does anyone out there have experience with Norberto? If so would you be willing to discuss him with me?

Thanks for your help.

I would highly recommend Gustavo Marquez He has an excellent reputation for quality work and honesty. He has done a number of projects for me coming in at or under price quoted and in time agreed. He is building my new home right now which you are welcome to view to check his workmanship. He has built hundreds of homes in the area so you could see many examples of his work. He speaks English cell 33 3157 3048

Gustavo is excellent. He built our home twelve years ago and we are still happy. He is not an architect. Roberto Millan is an award winning architect. Check the archives. His plans are free if you use his crew.

Try Ricardo Zambian Limon who is an architect, builder and remodeled. I rented a house he built in La Christina and the workmanship and design were excellent. His cell is 331 71 24 09.

I think quite highly of Sr. Millan. He has the background I look for in a builder. When checking others I found many were former fishermen experienced in brick laying. At one time those were the only game in town. Many of the more discerning consumers back then actually hired an architect and crew from Guad.

There was a German chap, Ziegried I think, who did quality work but don't know if he is still around.

I would ascertain if your prospective builder obtains all permits, both starting and completion, and how IMSS is handled. Many overbuy for the project and sell the surplus from their home/garage. Especially if you're working on a cost plus basis.

Frankly, if you need to seek advise from this forum you may be jumping into the fire; I would buy a house you think is well built and live in it a few years and spend that time doing a lot of legwork to establish a quality builder who handles the paperwork.

• 2 years later...
On December 8, 2013 at 10:24 AM, bobkat said:

Try Ricardo Zambian Limon who is an architect, builder and remodeled. I rented a house he built in La Christina and the workmanship and design were excellent. His cell is 331 71 24 09.

His number is: 333-171-2409. You were missing a digit.

• 1 year later...

I cannot recommend Ricardo Zambrano Limon, AT ALL. His work is of good quality, but he did incorrect plans for my kitchen, was completely disorganized, and basically abandoned my job for another, costing me much time, money, and aggravation. In fact, I am still looking for a replacement. Beware.

BTW, I consulted an attorney about the denuncia laws, and was told that I could relate my experience with him without running afoul of the laws. It is my belief that if a better job comes along, he will abandon you in a heartbeat, and no apology. More to tell, yuu may PM me for more. 

• 2 weeks later...

Rudy from Ajijic Marble and Granite does excellent work... He has remodeled our kitchen, expanded our home, etc. His workmanship is exceptional and his crews clean every day... Something one appreciates.

Exercise Caution as to the quality of the Contractors current crew or crews, all are trained to different standards. So a current crew leader should & can be detailed in your contractual documents. Make sure all involved know the value of an alley or marble in determination of the correct slope. Buy many & have them available on-site. Unlike heavily used bubble levels, marbles can not be incorrect. Water like the marble follows gravity. Once base construction material sets or hardens at an incorrect level, it becomes increasingly difficult & expensive to correct the error after the pour.

I have used Gustavo  several times over the last 17 years. He is not an architect , I think he used to be a mason. He used to be good when small then he got big and lost control , built two terrible skylight (large ) came back a few times to fix them and gave up.. He did not supervise his maestros correctly.. He may have improved  again now that he is smaller...but that was it for me. He is a very pleasant fellow.

Archived