Chapala.com Webboard

Newbie Village Girl trying to understand Mexican Culture....

Ok...so I get it that it was the Feast of St Andrew for most of November but what is the meaning or reason for these 'cannon blasts' all the time? Some sound like they're coming from the Plaza but some sound like right here on my street. Birds are terrified, dogs are barking and even the toddler across the street is screaming every time. My little dog is shaking like a leaf all day and won't come out of the bedroom. Walk to the village today was a disaster and I had to carry her all the way home.

I sort of get it but is a seasonal thing or all the time? I'm enjoying the village otherwise but just don't get this....I don't have a nervous type dog but think I am taking one back to Canada with me. Who sets these things off? I was told you need a special license etc but I'm pretty sure it's the teens down the block as well as what's coming from the Plaza.

This isn't my first trip here but first time bringing my dog and also first time I've noticed this much. Sounds closer and kind of scary...

Yes, it is approaching the fiesta de la virgen de Guadelupe and then Christmas and New Year. It may be temporarily quiet for a few days, after serious late night fiestas; but do not plan on it. After ten years, or so, neither you nor your dogs will jump any more. Remember, the cohetes are an invitation for you to come and join the fun. Get out, if you can, wait for the next cohete blast and the exploding light will tell you what direction to go. As you get closer, you will probably hear music and when you get really close, you will be invited to join the fun.

Welcome to Mexico; you cannot change it, so enjoy it. :)

Guest verchiel

My understanding of the cohetes is that the priests give them out as favors to the young boys who show up for early mass during these high holy days of St. Andres and Virgin de Guadalupe and then Christmas. The tradition evidently dates back to the Aztecs, who thought that loud noises drives away evil spirits and clears the way for the gods to visit.

As far as your dog, Lucky Dog rescue center sells 'snug' coats that you can put on your dog when the cohetes and summertime thunder start up. I have one for mine and it does help with the extreme fright that some dogs go through. She is much calmer.

BTW, I love the cohetes. They go off over the roof of our house all the time, and out front. I have grown accustomed to them and they sort of make me feel happy, that someone is out there celebrating and being a little wild! I've lived here for 8 years, so it does take time.

Do try a Thundershirt or similar. My little dog use to shake and try to climb under the furniture. Now when the cohetes or thunder start we put her shirt on & she stops shaking. She still doesn't like the noise, but she can now tolerate it. After a year using the Thundershirt she rarely shakes. Guess they get use to the noise like we do.

I actually have a thunder shirt for her at home! Have never used it though and of course not much good when I didn't bring it. Will next trip, and a lifejacket for the pool too. I've never been here this time of year and perhaps I'm more conscious of it as Maggie is upset. Right now I have some sort of family celebration (birthday party maybe?) going on and lots of excited kids in the street and some (great) Mexican music going on and I'm fine with that but...those bombs!!

Was talking to my husband on the phone when one went off and he thought I was a goner, maybe wishful thinking? My house is hacienda style so I am outside most of the time too. Thanks for the information....sounds like this Village Girl has to have an 'attitude adjustment'! I do like the church bells and love fireworks with the beautiful colour display like at home sometimes but Wow! this is loud and no warning. I noticed in November it was shortly before or after the church bells but today was just willy nilly.

Guess I better get my sombrero on and bring that thunder shirt when I come back after Xmas!! Thanks for the suggestions guys!!

I am definitely not a fan of the cohetes. We got them last night at 3:30 AM and every morning so far this month at 6 AM. We are close to the church in SJC so they are exceptionally loud. It seems to me that the church could spend a little more of their funds on helping the hungry rather than blowing thousands of dollars on fire crackers. I could rant on about cohetes for several paragraphs but I know the bottom line is learning to accept them.

I too am not real fond of the cohetes but I have adjusted, though my dogs, now different from when I came, continue to dislike them and get more upset as opposed to adjusting...6am...I end up with 2 over 70 pound dogs in bed with me, mind you I do not like dogs in my bed nor do I like mornings but so be it..such is Mexico. I agree money could be spent on more impo things but this to Mexicans on the whole I think is important culture and entertainment so emotionally good. Living in a village we are asked to donate for the fiestas etc...so a lot of money comes from the towns folk, businesses, and even those who have moved to states etc...

Do they have those thunder coats for larger dogs and anyone know the price and do they really really work??

I have a dog - a Mexican street dog, so you would think she would have been used to the cohetes since birth! - who is only this year adjusting to the rockets. I think a large part of it is that your dog will pick up on your feelings - if you jump, so will they and if you're afraid, they will be afraid ... if you celebrate the sounds, they will learn to accept them. I "celebrate" by giving a little treat and acting pleased every time a rocket goes off - it took a few months but she now associates the cohetes with a pleasurable sensation and has ceased to hide under the bed. It took me a few years to understand that this is what I needed to do - she was needing some leadership which I wasn't giving her. Acceptance with pleasure - that's what it's all about for all of us, I guess.

As everyone on this board knows, I hate the cohetes.

I have lived in Mexico for just over 17 1/2 years...just 2 1/2 years here. I have never experienced cohetes with the frequency or loudness that they are set off lakeside. It is the only thing I dislike about living here.

Rescue Remedy, available from the Ladrones Animal Clinic, to calm down your critters. Apparently, it's their best seller. It was suggested to put it in their water bowel. Check with the Vets.

The original Thundershirts are available for large dogs...come in all sizes from XXS up to XXL.

http://www.thundershirt.com/Docs/Thundershirt-Overview-and-FAQ.pdf

I have a little rescue dog that suffered terribly from anxiety when I first brought him home. I took him to a trainer in Sechelt that uses a system called 'Tellington Touch' (I think that's the name) and she wrapped one of those tensure bandages around him and it did work to calm him. I think the idea is similar to swaddling babies and it does seem to work. With your large dogs maybe even try a tight stretchy t-shirt on them or wrap a stretchy piece of fabric and secure with safety pins to see if that helps until you can source a thunder shirt.

I think it does help as I wrapped Maggie in a blanket tonight quite tightly and she has settled down. Of course so has Mom so that helps!

I have only one dog now; sadly the other three have died but when all four were living, two were affected and two did not seem to mind the cohetes or the thunderstorms. I was aware of the thundershirt theory but did not realize that they were available in Mexico so what I did, which seemed to work, was tightly wrap (swaddle) the two who were afraid, in towels and try to keep them contained beside me on the couch with one arm over each. It did seem to help and eventually my quivering pups would calm down and fall asleep for as long as I stayed put beside them! Special treats and celebrations would probably help too if the poor pup learns to associate the noise with treats.

I have lived in Ajijic, Riberas, and now in Chapala. Ajijic was by far the loudest. It was fun and exciting for the first 6 months, but I have been happier overall living somewhere else. We have our own set of noises in Chapala, but nothing like when the cohetes go off in Ajijic. One of my three dogs is affected by them greatly, the other two don't care. The Thundershirt works well for the scared one. As for me, I choose to just smile. I can always take a siesta.

We moved from Ajijic to Chapala back in 2004, not because of cohetes, but because it was less and less like living in Mexico and becoming too much of an expat suburbia and we wanted a larger home, anyway. We also discovered that shopping was easier in Chapala, especially with the mercado publico open daily. We did enjoy our four years in Ajijic, but time has flown by and now we have been in Chapala for the last 13 years. The irony is that we are now much older and more infirm, so really need to sell the larger home and downsize. Most smaller rentals are in Ajijic, so we might bounce back.

I have a dog - a Mexican street dog, so you would think she would have been used to the cohetes since birth! - who is only this year adjusting to the rockets. I think a large part of it is that your dog will pick up on your feelings - if you jump, so will they and if you're afraid, they will be afraid ... if you celebrate the sounds, they will learn to accept them. I "celebrate" by giving a little treat and acting pleased every time a rocket goes off - it took a few months but she now associates the cohetes with a pleasurable sensation and has ceased to hide under the bed. It took me a few years to understand that this is what I needed to do - she was needing some leadership which I wasn't giving her. Acceptance with pleasure - that's what it's all about for all of us, I guess.

excellent idea! Will try that next time then put on the Thundershirt. Thanks

This is great advice La. We have adopted this attitude here in our home too and now our three dogs don't even move when the cohetes go off in the early mornings and late at night. When we are calm so are they -- and we live within a few blocks of the Parroquia in Centro Ajijic. Sometimes, there will be one that gets set off right outside our door and we all are startled, but there have been some mornings this year when I didn't hear any of the early ones during the Fiesta in November - it shows that you can get immune to some of the noise.

Archived