Chapala.com Webboard

RFC (tax ID Number)

Floradude

I would really check with the bank first. I did not need an RFC to open an account. The only reason one would need an RFC number is if you were working in Mexico an earning money. Once you get an RFC you have to file tax report every year even if you don't earn money. If you don't you get fined.

No, you need get an RFC number as with increased reporting requirements on financial institutions due to new money laundering and tax evasion laws as well as tax reforms for 2014 it will be mandatory.

Here is the page but please put as mush info as possible so they can contact you if necessary

https://siat.sat.gob.mx/PTSC/inscurp/

So if I already have a Mexican bank account does this mean that I have to get an RFC number to comply with the law as of January 2014?

Check your account statement. Mexican banks have gotten RFCs for expats in the past when they applied for bank accounts. I know several people who never personally applied with SAT for an RFC, yet in the process of getting the bank account, their current account shows an RFC.

No, Mexican banks fabricated an RFC number but it is not official so you should still apply for one and even people who have existing accounts are likely to be asked to get an RFC number in the future, as you can get one online you can probably wait but make sure you have a CURP number. Only SAT can issue official RFC numbers so unless you went personally to a SAT office or did it online your RFC number is one a bank generated and is not official and you will have no official proof of one like you get at the SAT office or if you generate one online on the SAT website.

Using my CURP # I went online the other day and got a RFC number. So I just checked my bank account information from the local HSBC which I opened 4 years ago and it shows a 10 digit RFC that the bank must have made up. It is quite different from the 13 digit one I got by appling online. Now I have two CURP numbers and two RFC numbers. No wonder things get confused here.

I would say yes so the bank can report on both of you

The online sign up is for people who are not making any money or have to file, SAT would already have your info if you have a bank account presumably so I do not see any reporting requirements being triggered. It would be good to give the bank your RFC well a copy of the sheet showing you officially have one so that they can register it in their records.

I Just checked the paperwork that was developed when I opened my Bancomer account in Tijuana almost 7 years ago before I moved here (I was living in Southern California). There is a R.F.C. number listed beginning with CADE and then 8 numbers with an X thrown in for a total of 13 numbers and letters. Is this an authentic R.F.C. number? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I opened an account at Intercam last week, and they didn't need an RFC number. I don't have one and until I'm asked for one, will not get one. I also opened an account at Multiva the last week of December, and they too didn't know why so many people are asking about the need for an RFC number. They also didn't need one in order to open a bank account.

Banks have lobbied to put this one off from what I was told although it was part of the tax reform package.

Archived