Chapala.com Webboard

Holiday Pay?

agree on using the link. Rolly Brook at rollybrook.com is up to date and excellent with the numbers as well as the explanation for

Aguinaldo, holiday and vacation pay, with all 3 necessary in many cases for both maids and gardeners.

As I posted previously on this topic (see link posted by yo1 above) my lawyer friend who works for the federal government says that aguinaldo should be equal to exactly 2 weeks of pay, NOT the 2.14 formula that Rolly Brook gives. I believe Rolly's formula is a misinterpretation of the Mexican expression "quince dias." According to my lawyer friend that means "two weeks" NOT "two weeks + 1 day." You are certainly able to give any amount beyond two weeks pay as you desire but two weeks exactly is the required amount.

Aguinaldo is a Christmas bonus paid to workers prior to December 20, not the same thing as holiday pay which is for statutory holidays; then there is vacation pay.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to holiday pay as the holiday season of Christmas. Mea culpa!

If you have good people, be generous. They really appreciate a nice bonus at this time of year. We give all ours a one month's bonus for Christmas. We feel really lucky to have such excellent help.

Everyone I have talked to about the normal Christmas bonus for full time employees gives them 4 weeks pay before Christmas. It might be legal to give them a 2 week pay bonus. I don´t know for sure, but I have never heard of this being the case, even in large companies, so far.

I agree with you. If you want to be considered a good guy give them the extra bonus pay [4 weeks] and all will work out for you for the better. IMO

OK but I think most of the domestic help here is part time, as are ours. I believe the aguinaldo regulation applies equally to both full and part time and is basically 2 weeks and change as discussed above.

It was pretty clear from their reaction the first time we did it that our part timers were not used to getting this much aguinaldo.

OK but I think most of the domestic help here is part time, as are ours. I believe the aguinaldo regulation applies equally to both full and part time and is basically 2 weeks and change as discussed above.

It was pretty clear from their reaction the first time we did it that our part timers were not used to getting this much aguinaldo.

We were at a gathering on Sunday and I brought up the subject of Christmas bonuses. It appears here [ in San Luis Potosi] most give their employees 3 weeks pay for a bonus, not the 4 weeks pay I mentioned above.

Archived