Chapala.com Webboard

Buying a car

Archibald

I am planning to buy a Mexican plated car but the owner is in Canada. Is it necessary for him to be here to sign the factura? Can a limited power of attorney be used?? Any other options?

What could be the problem with me selling or giving my Ontario plated car to a Mexican here? Is there a way to sign off on the liability?

I am planning to buy a Mexican plated car but the owner is in Canada. Is it necessary for him to be here to sign the factura? Can a limited power of attorney be used?? Any other options?

What could be the problem with me selling or giving my Ontario plated car to a Mexican here? Is there a way to sign off on the liability?

For your first question, I suggest that you talk to Spencer at S&S Motors. He will know if a power of attorney will work and he will be able to guide you through the process of buying the Mexican plated car.

Your second question elicits a resounding NO. You cannot, under the terms of your Importada Temporal, sell, give away or otherwise dispose of your Canadian car in Mexico. You cannot sell it in the USA, so a sale would have to be done in Ontario. However, if the car qualifies, you might be able to drive it to the border and permanently import it, using a customs broker.

Note: A Mexican citizen or Residente Permanente may not drive your Ontario plated car unless you are in the car. It is the law.

There are ways to do the transfer without the person being here, they do not check signatures. As far as giving a car away, while you may get the person to sign an indemnity agreement, you are prohibited from disposing of the vehicle and if the new owner crashes they will come looking for you, indemnity agreements are only as good as the solvency of the grantor.

The other day I asked the Ontario Ministry of Transport if I could dispose of the vehicle in the US (not sell it to be driven) for parts and they said there is a legal document I can sign, in Ontario, that states I no longer own the vehicle. We intend to look into that option (i.e., selling/giving it to a reputable dealer in the southern US).

The other day I asked the Ontario Ministry of Transport if I could dispose of the vehicle in the US (not sell it to be driven) for parts and they said there is a legal document I can sign, in Ontario, that states I no longer own the vehicle. We intend to look into that option (i.e., selling/giving it to a reputable dealer in the southern US).

Earlier this year I looked into 'how' I might purchase a Canadian plated car in the US. Asked in two states (Colorado and SD). In both instances, there was a great deal of paperwork to do with more than one agency and even then I was not all together sure it could be done.... and this car was originally sold/titled/licensed in the US! The owner of the car also tried to 'sell' it to a dealership in S. Texas and they said basically, "yes, we'll buy it... right after you get it titled in Texas".

Good luck with your 'sale'.

Hi RickS: Back when I asked this question on Mexico Connect, I got quite a few offers from people wanting to drive our vehicle out of Mexico but one gentlemen said that a parts dealer he knew in Texas would take it provided we could prove ownership. I would only be trying to sell it for parts, not as a car that could be licensed to drive in Texas because I realize that would require importation something which would be financially non-feasible.

Thanks for your good wishes.

It's not Canada that will care--it's the US. All countries have regulations around nationalizing cars.

Archived