Chapala.com Webboard

decafinated diet coke addict

johanson

I greatly enjoy a rum and coke each night. The trouble is, I have to watch my weight and because cokes are caffeinated and will mess up my sleep I had to buy imported decaffeinated diet coke from the US for $11 pesos for 12 ounce can. (355 ml) And that's not cheap. And the only place I could buy it was Superlake.

Not anymore, Superlake was able to get Coke, Mexico to provide the same product. Now I can get a 600 ml or a 20 ounce bottle of the same product made here in Mexico for only $9 pesos or so, or at 1/2 the price per ounce.

WHY am I posting this? Well, because, so far I'm the only one buying this product and if no one else likes diet decaffeinated coke at this lower price they (Superlake) will probably stop carrying it.

So please fellow rum and coke drinkers, if you want diet decaffeinated coke at half price, start buying it in the coke bottle section of Superlake, or they will stop carrying it

Agree on the brown, chemical water. I, too, was hooked on diet coke but my doctor stayed after me about it long enough to make an impression so I changed back to regular decaffeinated. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to the sugared coke again but have been assured it is much better to drink sugar than it is the chemicals in diet coke. But, hey, we probably all have something we really enjoy that isn't too healthy for us. Choices.

Pete.... I'm with you - that's my drink too, made with Bacardi Solara! I'll be buying my share when we arrive just after Christmas.

AND...

Pete, you can buy a 2 liter of Coke Zero for 20 pesos at Walmart. Coke Zero is caffeine and calorie free.

This "Coke" web page (http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/brands/coke-zero.html) lists the following Coke Zero ingredients:

Carbonated water, colour (caramel E150d), phosphoric acid, sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame-K), natural flavourings including caffeine, acidity regulator (E331). Contains a source of phenylalanine.

Admittedly, this a U.K. site, but I doubt that Coke will change the ingredients fir the U.S. (or Mexican) market.

Coke is sugar/MCS and has Caf.

Coke Light has NutraSweet and Caf.

Coke Zero no caffeine has NutraSweet and NO Caf. (special can) (thanks for the update bwhite)

If you search on the web you find caffeine numbers all over the place for these products. Looks like they customize

them for specific markets.

Interesting.

Coke is sugar/MCS and has Caf.

Coke Light has NutraSweet and Caf.

Coke Zero has NutraSweet and NO Caf.

Up until recently ALL Coke Zero contained caffeine. Earlier this year, Coke announced a new product, a decaf version of Coke Zero. The Decaf version of Coke Zero comes in a specially marked can.

Here is the press release from Coke re: the new decaf Coke Zero. I don't know if the decaf version of Coke Zero is yet available locally. But read the label!

http://www.coca-colacompany.com/press-center/press-releases/day-or-night-new-caffeine-free-coke-zero-trade-helps-fans-enjoy-their-favorite-drink-at-any-time

The guy from Coke filling the shelves at Wal-Mart told me that soon diet coke would have a decaffeinated version here lakeside. The decaffeinated version I saw and purchased was not Zero Coke but Diet Coke.

I have always liked Zero Coke better than diet Coke, but will stick with the product that is marked decaffeinated. And should I see the new decaffeinated version of Zero Coke, I will jump at that.

Agree on the brown, chemical water. I, too, was hooked on diet coke but my doctor stayed after me about it long enough to make an impression so I changed back to regular decaffeinated. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to the sugared coke again but have been assured it is much better to drink sugar than it is the chemicals in diet coke. But, hey, we probably all have something we really enjoy that isn't too healthy for us. Choices.

Maybe we shouldn't take life so seriously, it's not like you're going to get out alive or anything.

Laugh all you want. Diet caffein-free Coke is a big deal when that's your mixer of choice. El Torito carried it for awhile - a short while. We will definitely be checking out Superlake for our supply.

As far as the chemical brown water goes, extensive testing has proven that two pounds of almost any chemical will kill a one pound rat. For those of us who have made it this far, something's gonna get us. I'm not betting on sugar-free no-caffein Coke.

My sweetie in SJC bought Caf. Free Diet Coke at Walmart in Ajijic today in 20 oz bottles for 9 pesos each. (Same price for single bottles vs 6-packs - they have both.) She bought 42 bottles! (They have plenty…not to worry.) Rum and caf free diet coke is our choice of libation as well. (I buy 2-liter bottles of generic caffeine-free diet cola here in Missouri for 84 cents, which I think translates to 13 hectares per fortnight in Mexican terms, but I could be off by a centimeter or two.)

Archived