Chapala.com Webboard

Baking Supplies

mexnow

I can sell you a big chunk of 2 and a half kilo of 71 % dark (European) chocolate for 600 pesos (still in its original wrapping). That is almost 6 pounds. The chocolate really is excellent (used for eating AND baking) and you can easily use it until 2015.

Almond extract,.... you might be able to get that at the little spices/nuts store in Chapala, on the main drag, corner with Degollado.

I don't know what you will be using it for, but there is also a Mexican almond licor (only 99 pesos a bottle) ,.... just delicious.

I use it in the marzipan that I make.

I have also peppermint grains (but pretty mild), that you can have at a low price (but you can try them first..... might be too mild for you).

if interested, e-mail me : elbelgicano@yahoo.com

Rony

Peppermint oil is a natural way to rid your home of mice / rats they do not like the strong smell. I looked every where and found I could only get the essence,available at the grainery,not the oil I had to order the oil in the States. Canned pumpkin is available in most of the grocery stores even at puritan poultry. I have seen parchment paper at Superlake also found almond extract there.

Once you start finding your way around most things are available , at a price, I was surprised to find baking soda sold at the pharmacy rather than the grocery store. Happy hunting

They have parchment paper - big sheets - at the store next to Gossips in Ajijic. I can't recall the name of it, Granera? I'm bad with store names! It's huge industrial size sheets, which I cut in half to use on my standard baking sheets.

Abastos in Guadalajara has a store with chocolate in bulk as well as many many different kinds of extracts - all food grade.

Turnin is a Mexican brand semi sweet dark chocolate sold by the 6 kilo box at Costco. It's also sold by the block in Abastos in the paid parking strip mall where they sell everything from flour to chicken feed. :) The store next door is a bakery store that I went into and bought some parchment paper. But, they sell parchment paper in Sam's Club next to the bakery section in Palamar.

Crema de Mente is peppermint/mint I bought in the Gourmet Store in Guadalajara, I'm also looking for almond extract but my ride didn't take me there today. Superlake doesn't have almond extract right now.

I left the last pumpkin for you at Superlake to bake and make plenty of fresh puree...I just couldn't bring myself to pay $207 pesos for it. So I pulled some left over puree from last year out of the freezer, it froze well and tastes fine...I'm sure all the nutritional value is gone but in cheesecake, who cares!

Happy baking!

The new gourmet store across from Walmart has a lot of the type of items you are looking for. I did not notice if there were extracts there, but I've found lemon and almond lakeside. The store on Maderos in Chapala about a block from the main square headed toward Sorianna has a lot of bottles of extract in many flavors.

I am sure that I bought parchment paper at Super Lake. I believe it was in the far left hand aisle (on the right hand shelves) when you enter the store, and nearly to the back if you want to trust my memory! But I believe that it was in Super Lake about two years ago and, as I recall, they had two different size rolls and some packaged loose sheets as well. I had visiting family bring me peppermint extract from Canada and I bought canned pumpkin when I was home on Holiday, but again I think Super Lake has it. Of course it was a little expensive but available.

Mamá Coneja, in the retail section of the Mercado de Abastos, has every extract you could possibly need for baking. The store also carries nuts of all kinds by the kilo, chocolate by the kilo, beans, seeds, and things you never thought you needed but won't be able to live without.

• 5 years later...

Archived