Chapala.com Webboard

Who stole the sunshine?

jrm30655

I have been here 8 years and this is a first for mid-November. That storm coming in off the west coast is a bummer. I feel for all the people at the Maestros del Arte who are freezing and not getting the crowds they anticipated. Go tomorrow if you can! I went Friday and I thought it was better than ever. In the meantime, I got out the electric blanket a couple of days ago, and boy is that nice! I also got the propane heater out of storage and I am going to get the gas logs going soon also. I feel for all the people who are here anticipating good weather! But, it is only 69F on my patio, and we have to get a grip. It is MUCH colder and sleeting in the Frozen North! We who live here full time are not acclimated to these temps, but if I came here from Chicago or Boston or Toronto, this would look pretty good. And this is the worst it gets here!

One good thing about it..... they just opened up another full (over 100 % capacity) dam in Guanajuato (in yesterday's El Informador), which will make the lake rise by one centimeter a day (for at least the next days)....... at a time of the year that we usually lose one centimeter a day. Name of the dam is Solis.

Rony

Very disappointing, we arrived 3 weeks ago and feel like we've never left the PNW. Feel sorry for people who came only for a short holiday. It was pouring at the Feria yesterday.

The lake is very low,compared with last year so also glad that the dam was opened in Guanajuato. Hopefully some of it will end up in the lake.

Noticed a big boat (party boat?) on the lake few days ago. Is it in operation?

Link to Chapala Weather's solar details page: (great job, Steve, y muchas gracias)

http://chapalaweather.net/solar.htm

Check the 6th and 7th lines down.....month avg versus year avg....down 1/3 from the average, this past month.

It will return!

Link to Chapala Weather's solar details page: (great job, Steve, y muchas gracias)

http://chapalaweather.net/solar.htm

Check the 6th and 7th lines down.....month avg versus year avg....down 1/3 from the average, this past month.

It will return!

Wonder who will start up a weather station when Steve leaves? His site has been fantastic.

The last thirty days have been some of the worst I can remember. Very little sun. I actually measure the amount of sun (Solar electrical energy) that reaches the solar panels at my house I go outside each evening and check the two inverter to see how much power they generated (received). Saturday was terrible, I only generated 5.3 KWH. That is about as low as I have ever seen it. I just checked my inverters today and I had generated almost five times as much, 25.9 KWHs as yesterday And last week it reached even higher, 29.4 KWH for a day or two. I sometimes hit 35 KWH in the late spring

Remember these KWHs were measured before the power was changed from direct to alternating current. I'm told that the inverters loose 10% to 15% of the energy when they convert the power to that used by CFE and the rest of my house.

Please Go solar, tell me if my DC to AC conversion figures are wrong. I just know we have had much less sun than usual for this time of the year.

Pete, most decent inverters are rated about 95% efficiency these days, +/- 1% or so. There can also be a small bit of loss from other things in the system (length of wiring runs, voltage regulators, etc). These are factored in when sizing a solar electric system, which is based primarily on a h/h's average CFE consumption over the year.

And according to today's newspaper article ( http://www.informador.com.mx/jalisco/2013/497963/6/chapala-mantiene-su-ascenso-crece-un-centimetro-mas.htm ), the level of the lake is still going up, the Guanajuato dam (Solis) is still sending water here, September was also the wettest month since they actually started measuring, years ago. It is also the first time since 2006 that in the month of November, the lake level is not going down.

It is up by 97 cm, since the start of the rains (June 2013),.... ofcourse not enough, but it could have been a lot worse.

Rony

And according to today's newspaper article ( http://www.informador.com.mx/jalisco/2013/497963/6/chapala-mantiene-su-ascenso-crece-un-centimetro-mas.htm ), the level of the lake is still going up, the Guanajuato dam (Solis) is still sending water here, September was also the wettest month since they actually started measuring, years ago. It is also the first time since 2006 that in the month of November, the lake level is not going down.

It is up by 97 cm, since the start of the rains (June 2013),.... ofcourse not enough, but it could have been a lot worse.

Rony

And some rain (20% chance) is still in forecast today - gee - but as I recall, rainfall pattern may be changing in some tropic areas. PLUS - the NY Times had a great article about work in Guanajuato building new cards - and of course new cars take water - at least 40,000 gallons a car - so I am guessing water wars are in the future - tourism versus employment - as to how much water Guanajuato releases for Lake Chapala

Archived