Chapala.com Webboard

Bird Book

Figoush

Can anyone recommend a really good bird book? I'm not looking for a field guide per se, but one that I can use from my patio. I'm NOB right now and will be ordering from Amazon. The selection is staggering but I'm looking for one with great photos and illustrations and some basic information so that I can identify and learn about the birds in our area. I'm a novice not an avid birder. I've already sent one back and would like t avoid another mis step. Thanks in advance.

I have a couple of bird books which focus on Mexico. I'd recommend "Birds of Mexico and Central America" by Ber Van Perlo. A good basic reference book. Another book by probably the best birder in the world is, "Mexican Birds" of the Peterson Field Guides series, by Roger Tory Peterson and Edward L. Chalif.

Have you got a tablet or iPhone/Pad or similar? There are inexpensive apps available that play the call, show different photos and illustrations, and so on... but the grabber for me was some of them let you record the call you hear and compare it to their database. I didn't buy those, but wow, what a cool thing. "The future is now."

Sounds very cool and if I wasn't such a Ludite, I'd get right on that!!! Hopefully when I finally get retired, I can step into the future. I took More Liana's advice and ordered the Howell book. "A Guide to the Birds of Mexico and Northern Central America" Hope it's the right one this time. Thanks for the help everyone.

Archived