Chapala.com Webboard

B of A

pera

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just checked my balance on line with B of A and there was a fee of $13.18 for my last withdrawl from Scotiabank last week. I then checked and they no longer are doing no fee business with Scotia in Mexico, only Santander.

I just checked my B of A account and do not see any fees for my withdrawal from the Scotiabank ATM last week. While Scotiabank has never been listed as one of the banks we can use or ATM cards at in Mexico without fees, it has always worked. Hopefully I can continue to do that as it's so much more convenient than going to Santander in Chapala, but at least now we don't have pay parking meters (I guess, if one believes the banner posted on the malecon.)

I took money out of the Scotia Bank ATM on Nov 4th.....no fee. I took money out of the Scotia Bank ATM on Nov 9th and was charged a fee of $9.17. When I took the money out on Nov 9th there was a new prompt....only in Spanish....do you want to pay 9.50 pesos to protect your money from being stolen? I clicked yes.....that was the charge. I don't know what would happen if I clicked no. I just got off the phone with Bank of America and they said that the Scotia Bank IS an affiliated bank and there should never be a charge. They credited the $9.17 back to my account. The next time I take money out there I will click the no button and see what happens.

I just sent them a message relaying the info I learned from Kathymac518 and hope I get the same result. I also asked for an explanation. This morning I looked on their site as to where, what countries and banks accepted our cards with no fee.... Mexico was not listed. Many Caribbean countries for Scotiabank.

I just sent them a message relaying the info I learned from Kathymac518 and hope I get the same result. I also asked for an explanation. This morning I looked on their site as to where, what countries and banks accepted our cards with no fee.... Mexico was not listed. Many Caribbean countries for Scotiabank.

Mexico has never been listed but still never charged a fee.

A friend of mine noted today that B of A had charged a 3% fee for withdrawals at Santander on 11/11 and 11/12, never any fees before that date. He tried to call them for an explanation this morning but their lines were swamped and he couldn't wait. I also use a B of A debit card here to get pesos, so I called and waited about 15 minutes to talk to someone. While waiting I scrolled through the Oct. 2013 fee schedule update on the website and noted that there were several fee changes pegged to begin on Nov. 8. Some were fee increases and some were fees being eliminated, but they were all for transactions done NOB and there was no reference to any fees for using ATM's in foreign countries at banks that B of A has an agreement with.

The representative looked on his screen and found the agreement with Scotia Bank and read off all the different countries that applied to that bank. Mexico wasn't listed but I told him they've never charged here. He initially couldn't find Santander until I suggested he look under Banco Santander and it was also still listed as a no-fee ATM bank. He seemed to think this meant no $5 US ATM fee but at the bottom it read that a 1% foreign transaction fee would be charged. I told him I'd never been charged 1% for a peso withdrawal. I also pointed out to him that my friend was charged exactly 3% and that it was listed on his statement as an "international transaction fee." He thought that charge was incorrect and that possibly with the new fee schedule going into effect on Nov. 8, that maybe a "glitch" caused the fee to post.

It is obviously happening at both Scotia Bank and Santander and I suspect the folks who got charged at Scotia can figure their charge to be the same, 3% of the dollar amount. He suggested my friend call back at less peak hours and inquire. I guess everyone who got a charge should do the same and request the fee be reversed since they have no information on their screens that a 3% fee is due. If anyone gets a more definite explanation, please post an update.

I took money out of the Scotia Bank ATM on Nov 4th.....no fee. I took money out of the Scotia Bank ATM on Nov 9th and was charged a fee of $9.17. When I took the money out on Nov 9th there was a new prompt....only in Spanish....do you want to pay 9.50 pesos to protect your money from being stolen? I clicked yes.....that was the charge. I don't know what would happen if I clicked no. I just got off the phone with Bank of America and they said that the Scotia Bank IS an affiliated bank and there should never be a charge. They credited the $9.17 back to my account. The next time I take money out there I will click the no button and see what happens.

Kathymac, please check your withdrawal amount in dollars and multiply it times 3%, see if it doesn't come out to $9.17. The 9.50 peso fee for "money protection" would have been only 72¢. If you clicked on "yes," I would think there'd be a separate charge for that fee. Or could it be included in the $9.17 fee if that doesn't work out to exactly 3%.

My friend who got charged 3% twice is now calling to see if they'll reverse his fees as well.

I withdrew 3000 pesos yesterday from my BoA account at a Santander atm in Guadalajara,just checked today and there was $6.83 fee charged,"international transaction fee"that's the first time I've ever been charged this fee,I'll be calling BoA about it.

Kathymac, please check your withdrawal amount in dollars and multiply it times 3%, see if it doesn't come out to $9.17. The 9.50 peso fee for "money protection" would have been only 72¢. If you clicked on "yes," I would think there'd be a separate charge for that fee. Or could it be included in the $9.17 fee if that doesn't work out to exactly 3%.

My friend who got charged 3% twice is now calling to see if they'll reverse his fees as well.

I just did it and you are correct it was 3% of the amount.

I just noticed I was charged 3% for an ATM cash(peso) withdrawal at ScotiaBank. I have never been charged this fee before and I always use the same ScotiaBank ATM. I called BoA, the customer service lady said she was surprised I had never been charged a fee before. She said the only ATMs in MEXICO that would NOT be subject to fees would be at Santander ATMs. FYI.

PS. She did credit the fee back into my account.

From BoA website:

In addition, Bank of America has arranged for you to use your debit or ATM cards in China at China Construction Bank ATMs (China Construction Bank ATMs in Hong Kong are not included) and in Mexico at Banco Santander with no ATM Operator Fees or Non-Bank of America International ATM fees.

also:

The non-Bank of America ATM fees do not apply at some ATMs located outside the United States. You will not pay a transaction fee when you use ATMs of our Global Alliance partner banks in the following countries:

• Barclays (United Kingdom: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Jersey, Guernsey, and the Channel Islands)
  • BNP/BNL (France, Italy)
  • UkrSibbank (Ukraine)
  • Deutsche Bank (Germany)
  • Scotia Bank (Canada, Peru, Chile, and the Caribbean including: Anguilla, Antigua, Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Jamaica, Netherlands Antilles (St. Maarten), Puerto Rico, St. Kitts-Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent & The Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos Islands, US Virgin Islands)
  • Westpac (Australia and New Zealand)

I just spoke to BoA They are going to reverse the fee they charged me for the Santander withdrawal,but in the future they will be charging a 3% fee for international atm withdrawals.The person I spoke to said that in late 2014 they will be offering a "platinum offers" program that will waive the fees for preferred customers.This sucks,all my living exspenses are paid thru withdrawals from my BoA account,my expenses just went up by 3 percent.

I made an ATM withdrawal from Santander on 11/12/2013 in Cuidad Guzman, Jalisco. I was charged an international fee. I called them this A.M. and they apologized and cancelled the fee, which I immediately verified on Bank of Americans web site. They also still advertised no Santander A.T.M. fee for Bank of American on their website.

Dang. Me, too. Two 3% International Transaction Fees on atm withdrawls made Nov 10 and Nov 12 at Scotiabank.

(The $9.50 thing that's been appearing on the screen for the last month or so is Scotia trying to sell you insurance against being robbed of your cash after using an atm. It has nothing to do with this.)

Dang. Me, too. Two 3% International Transaction Fees on atm withdrawls made Nov 10 and Nov 12 at Scotiabank.

(The $9.50 thing that's been appearing on the screen for the last month or so is Scotia trying to sell you insurance against being robbed of your cash after using an atm. It has nothing to do with this.)

I used the Scotia ATM by Dominoes on Nov. 12 and there was no fee to my B of A debit card. Exchange rate on the transaction 13.1 pesos to the USD.

I too have had good luck with my B/A debit card at the same Scotia Bank near Dominoes. The exchange rate was good and I was not charged an additional foreign use fee, when I made the last withdrawal 5 days ago

I've got to take out another $4,000 pesos before the weekend at the above mentioned Scotia Bank money machine. (I don't pay attention to the $3K limit) and I will watch closely to see if I am charged an extra fee. I shall report my results by this weekend.

And no, after reading what was said on the ATM screen, I did not choose to pay the additional $9.50 peso fee for insurance, as some of you have chosen to do.

Archived