Chapala.com Webboard

Has anyone flown with Volaris Airlines lately?

suegarn

We just flew on their inaugural flight to Phoenix and back two weeks later. Great experience, all business class seating with extra legroom and wider seats, very attentive staff, and we could bring 55# of stuff back in the checked bag for free. Even though they state on the website you can take two carry ons into the plane weighing only 15.4# together, seemingly an impossibility as two small carry ons could weigh 5-8# each empty, we did not encounter any weighing or checking of carry on luggage. One traveler's checked bag weighed 25.8 kg or almost 2# over and they just let it slide (the flight wasn't full.) Sometimes there can be long lines at the check in counter, but they seemed to clear them through pretty fast. Everyone has to go there as they don't use the boarding passes you print at home for international flights. However for a domestic flight, if you don't print one out at home, supposedly they'll charge 20 pesos to do it at the counter. They also offer to let you print it at a kiosk at the airport, but, not too surprising, there are no kiosks for Volaris yet! Customer service on the phone is not very well worked out yet. I did get through to a person late one evening to ask about the strange carry on weight restriction, but during the day the short recording went around and around and then eventually dropped my call three tries in a row..."all agents are busy now, please stay at the line" about every 7 seconds.

Just picked up 6 people from Volaris today and not problems. The plane was on time. They payd 988 pesos for a flight from Tuxtla Gutierrez to Guadalajara . I used to pay over 2000 pesos when there was no competition so I am not about to complain.

Just hope you have nothing else to complain about!

I'll be taking the Phoenix flight in two and a half weeks. Question:

In the past when flying out of country, I would go to the Immigration window before going to the airline counter and get the FMM. One time, i went to the airline counter first and they sent me to the Immigration window before they would complete my check in.

Someone said that you must now have a boarding pass first before you get the FMM. But it appears you can't print out the boarding pass in advance. If so, this feels a little like a "chicken and egg" quandary.

So how does it work now assuming I won't have a boarding pass until I get to the airport?

Thanks.

BTW, I've flown Volaris once before when they had a flight to San Diego. I though the flight and service was excellent, much better than either U.S. Air or American.

Mainecoons - you can print your boarding pass before your flight, but not more than 24 hours in advance. Volaris will send you an email a couple of days before your flight to inform / remind you. Kev just did this with his recent flight to Vegas.

just flew from GDL to Tijuana

took 1 1/2 hours to on line to get to the ticket counter, no leg room on aircraft for 6 ft person

everything else works out great

coming back 19 minutes very little security no ID check after ticket counter, they just looked to see I had valid boarding pass.

snack and juice were provided.

plane was very cold bring a blanket with you, or something to keep you warm if you chill easy

Mainecoons, on 13 Nov 2013 - 4:31 PM, said:

I'll be taking the Phoenix flight in two and a half weeks. Question:

In the past when flying out of country, I would go to the Immigration window before going to the airline counter and get the FMM. One time, i went to the airline counter first and they sent me to the Immigration window before they would complete my check in.

Someone said that you must now have a boarding pass first before you get the FMM. But it appears you can't print out the boarding pass in advance. If so, this feels a little like a "chicken and egg" quandary.

So how does it work now assuming I won't have a boarding pass until I get to the airport?

Thanks.

BTW, I've flown Volaris once before when they had a flight to San Diego. I though the flight and service was excellent, much better than either U.S. Air or American.

Since you weren't able to choose a seat when booking this new route (as you found out by trial and error,) supposedly no one has a seat in advance. When they send you the email you can "check in online," all you can do is choose your seat 24 hrs in advance or do nothing and wait to let them give you one at the counter. Don't bother printing out the boarding pass at least for an international flight at either end...they don't use them in spite of the fact that the website says to do it and they'll charge you 20 pesos if you don't, only the card stock one they print out at the counter is valid. When I asked them about the 20 peso fee, they just chuckled. They look you up by your passport.

You do not need a boarding pass at the INM office, just your filled FMM out bottom stub, passport and RP or RT card. On your way back to Guad, try to get and extra FMM or two so you can fill them out in advance. Otherwise you have to get one at the window and step out of the line to fill it out, keeping the top half blank to fill out when you return. Watch your items as some folks have reported things being stolen at that counter while they were distracted filling out the form if there's a line or a group of people bunched up there. Both times I've done this with my new RP I was the only person at the window.

watch immigration carefully they missed a stamp on my travel letter last trip entering mexico, but did stamp my USA passport,

it was not noticed until we turned it in, then had to get a letter of explanation in Spanish telling what happed,

how they stamped my spouse letter, but stamped mine nut did stamp my US passport/

I did not have my glasses on so I mossed it

Archived