Chapala.com Webboard

Returning US plated car to states...sigh irritated

bezerk

Here is what it states, I have searched the whole site...Thanks anyway..Oh the second link is inaccessible it is for you apparently to maybe sign back in..??

This service is exclusive to U.S. citizens or persons residing permanently in Mexico and individuals to drive cars or vans with license plates from California, USA and have a driving license from California, USA. The California auto insurance is mandatory for any resident of California. If you are returning to the state of California and has been residing in Mexico is necessary to apply for driver's record with the California Department of Motor Vehicles. This application is free for every driver. You need to have documentation proving their residence in Mexico (FM3, proof of address).

I am looking for insurance for my car full coverage, for the drive from Laredo to Massachusetts. Person driving is co-owner with Mass. driver's license, not a permanent or resident of Mexico ( no FM3 etc.), The car currently has So Dakota plates...

also Tio Corp was able to provide insurance if had a Ca. license or Ca residence otherwise they could not help me. They did go above and beyond trying today and called with this info, and stated they could not help me.

Appears no one knows, so seems have to get insurance at border??? ugh..

I believe you will have no trouble getting liability coverage at the border but you will probably have a lot of trouble finding full coverage. Think about it from the insurance company's point of view. They don't know anything about the person they are being asked to insure, as that is really what they are doing, not just insuring a car. Not many people will get in a wreck on purpose so that the company can pay someone else on a liability claim. On the other hand, you might be surprised how many people will suddenly turn up with a stolen vehicle claim. 10 years experience as a claims adjuster (albeit many years ago) opened my eyes to lots of things. Good luck.

Bezerk wrote:

I'm missing your problem. Click on the far right in the choice of "Cars and vans with USA license plates" and get a quote. Why are you looking at the California link? You wrote the car is going to Massachusetts and not California so get a non-California quote.

https://www.segurogringo.com/default.aspx

I've bought one week of insurance before for Texas and never had to show proof of Mexican residence. I assumed since you bought a MX plated car that you do live in Mexico.

Yes you are missing my point, the car is titled in my and hubby's name. I am only one who lives FT in Mexico, he does not and his license is from Mass., the car has So Dakota plates...easy...person who needs insurance is not Mexican licensed nor a permanent resident of Mexico...so what now..sigh

Yes you are missing my point, the car is titled in my and hubby's name. I am only one who lives FT in Mexico, he does not and his license is from Mass., the car has So Dakota plates...easy...person who needs insurance is not Mexican licensed nor a permanent resident of Mexico...so what now..sigh

Did you contact the company? You buy the insurance and your husband drives the car back. Neither of you need a MX license to buy the insurance. Having a MX license might be a Tio policy but not everyone else's policy. Contact them and find out if it is as complicated as you are making it.

Did you contact the company? You buy the insurance and your husband drives the car back. Neither of you need a MX license to buy the insurance. Having a MX license might be a Tio policy but not everyone else's policy. Contact them and find out if it is as complicated as you are making it.

This. Call them, they have numbers to call either in the U.S. or Mexico. We have used segurogringo every time we go to the states. They could care less where the car is licensed or from what state you have received your license.

Gabrielle Valdez

-Virtual Agency-
1(855)210-7080 ext. 7304
When I drive to Texas, I use Pronto Insurance. My car is Texas plated, though it wouldn't make any different where your car is registered. This is all done via internet. A 30 day policy costs about $35US. I have used this company for the last 4 years and have always been satified! If you don't get a reply back via email, call their 855 phone number to initiate the policy. Totally hastle free!!!!!

If he lives in Mass. chances are he has another vehicle insured there. Why don't you contact that agent, explain why you have SD plates but that you want to bring the car back and add it to your existing policy. That should be easy. When you transfer title to whoever, just notify the agency that you have sold the car and cancel it off your Mass. policy.

You are insuring the car, not the person. You should be able to insure the car and your husband has a right to drive it here or there, especially if named as another driver. Yes, you may be limited to liability.

If, by some weird chance, that does not work, he might be able to get transit tags in Texas, along with insurance, to take the car through TX and on to MA. I think such paper tags are good for 30 days.

Already tried with Mass insurance agent NO NO NO....impossible. I am not by the way making this complicated Joco, trust me that is last thing I want to do. I have spent hours filing out forms only to get to payment area to find out nope sorry...need Mass Plates etc.

I think we have it resolved with Bravo insurance, will post if comes thru...

I did try me insuring, hubby insuring etc...possibly Mass. is harder than most states...who knows...anyway hubby and son are now dealing with it in states where things are less complicated...there I said it..

Thank you to those who were very helpful...also unless you have done recently things have changed lots...sigh..

Once again off I go...

Thousands of us use Segurogringo and we don't have Mass plates so I don't know where that is. First you thought it was only for California plated vehicles so maybe you never looked in the right area. It is simple, you fill it out online and print out the policy. It takes less than 5 minutes.

Well if thousands are using Segurogringo I must be doing something wrong..it clearly states tourist insurance for those who live in mexico FT, which does not apply to my hubby..so not sure if anyone used it and had an accident in that situation...anyway I think, I hope hubby has it resolved...

I wish to thank you all anyway....:)

Well if thousands are using Segurogringo I must be doing something wrong..it clearly states tourist insurance for those who live in mexico FT, which does not apply to my hubby..so not sure if anyone used it and had an accident in that situation...anyway I think, I hope hubby has it resolved...

I wish to thank you all anyway.... :)

Did you call and ask them? You live here full time. You buy the insurance. Your husband as your representative has permission to drive the vehicle. It is only liability. You cannot find complete coverage or I've never seen it.

I think when they say "full time resident" they are really referring to the vehicle being in Mexico full time.

Why not call and ask before you write it off?

Hi, ask your son to buy the insurance for the car and to ad you to the coverage so you will be cover in the states.

that is what we do. Our daughter has us listed as additional drivers on her policy (just for liability). It costs an extra $8.00 for 6 months. When we rent a car anywhere we are covered for liability and our Platinum Visa covers our deductible...this way we don't have to pay the outrageous rental car insurance rates.

Thanks all, hubby got insurance at border agent online Bravo insurance. It is a Texas insurance, Dairyland and only liability. So fingers crossed no incidents, car worth about 8000. ish, but if you have a newer, pricier car then I suggest you check into all this way ahead of time, as you would want full coverage and not sure it can be done I know we could not do it in a timely manner anyway.

The TIP was turned in today, and my beloved car is headed to the cold cold cold. Back in its country of origin, was a good 8 years while it lasted, onward and upward. By the weekend should be in Mass. fingers crossed no incidents.

Weight lifted from y shoulders...huge weight...Mass. has strict rules for insurance etc etc..so maybe that made things harder either way, done it worked out and now I wait for my permanente status , hope that goes smoother...haha..

• 4 weeks later...

Archived