Chapala.com Webboard

Returning US plated car to states...sigh irritated

bezerk

Okay I am so beyond irritated at this point. We bought a Mexican plated car. Done. Hubby is in USA returning in a few weeks to bring USA plated car out and back to Massachusetts, a very long drive might I add.

Car is ready to go, my son is buying it and we have already promised it to him.

Dilemma: I just got back from TIO Corp. where I thought was only place lakeside to get USA insurance, like for minimum of 2 weeks ( required) , just till the car is back in Mass. ( in essence only really need a week). Either way...

NEW LAW.......you have to have a Mexican license to get insurance from them for US...UNREAL..

You guessed it hubby does not have Mexican license, I do but I do not wish to do this drive. Can they make it any more hard or complicated. ????????????????????

Any suggestions?? I assume ( haha) hubby can get insurance at border??? Is that our only option??

Thanks in advance for any input!!!

Do the title transfer while your husband and son are both available in the US. Then your son gets the coverage he would ordinarily get on his car and your husband drives it back to Mass with that coverage in effect.

Or you can buy coverage on any of the internet insurance sites for the car in your name and your sons name. Then later take yours off the policy.

After the TIO Corp debacle this year with regard to the nationalization question and the fact that they owe a lot of people refunds for that misguided effort I would hesitate to do any business with them let alone give them any money.

We are in Laredo nationalizing our vehicle right now. We needed insurance to get us to the border and called Jesus TEJADA to get insurance to take us to the border. To be safe we got it for about 12 days. Then went online to Progressive.com for U.S. Insurance starting a day before we crossed the border. It is for a 6 month policy which we had to pay the first month. When we get back to Mexico we will cancel it.

It really isn't that difficult.

@chartiec..thanks for link but that is for Mexican insurance, we have that need US.

@sparks nope they told me only person with Mexican drivers license.

@mexpat06 we had thought of transferring the title and getting Mass Plates, but that takes time and we need to get the sticker off the windshield, to show car has been taken out of country so wonder, can we still do that...if change title over...

Hubby works in states so the time is Thanksgiving week when he can drive it back...sigh..

Any other ideas....???

....but that takes time and we need to get the sticker off the windshield, to show car has been taken out of country so wonder, can we still do that...if change title over...

You will have no trouble at the border getting the TIP cancelled and the sticker removed..... regardless of who has the title or who is driving. The process there is: " someone drives the car up to the 'hut' and hands the agent the ORIGINAL paperwork to which the sticker was attached; the agent compares the VIN# on that paperwork with the physical VIN# on the vehicle (windshield area and door jam); he/she takes pictures of this and then retreats to the hut, takes you car off the computer records and hands you a receipt that this was done, and either scraps the sticker off or tells you to do it. KEEP THE RECEIPT for a long time..... it shows that you did this should should something go arye later in the records.

No one is going to ask questions, ask for a Passport, ask if you own the car, etc etc etc. A perfect stranger could do it as long as that person has the original sticker paperwork. If you don't have the original, there is a process to get it done but it is not quickly done.

@Joyful...shoot, will not work for us...car is So. Dakota plated...hubby resides Mass., they do a credit check, I tried using our Texas MBE address etc...came up with Mass and thus they want Mass plates, which we cannot of course provide...This is so unreal..

Do not have time to change over title etc. to Ma. thus...anyone KNow?

Only option insurance at border? Is available at border???

Okay I am so beyond irritated at this point. We bought a Mexican plated car. Done. Hubby is in USA returning in a few weeks to bring USA plated car out and back to Massachusetts, a very long drive might I add.

Car is ready to go, my son is buying it and we have already promised it to him.

Dilemma: I just got back from TIO Corp. where I thought was only place lakeside to get USA insurance, like for minimum of 2 weeks ( required) , just till the car is back in Mass. ( in essence only really need a week). Either way...

NEW LAW.......you have to have a Mexican license to get insurance from them for US...UNREAL..

You guessed it hubby does not have Mexican license, I do but I do not wish to do this drive. Can they make it any more hard or complicated. ????????????????????

Any suggestions?? I assume ( haha) hubby can get insurance at border??? Is that our only option??

Thanks in advance for any input!!!

They are many other companies that offer insurance so try someone other than Tio Corp. I doubt if there is such a law requiring you to have a Mexican license.

@Joyful...shoot, will not work for us...car is So. Dakota plated...hubby resides Mass., they do a credit check, I tried using our Texas MBE address etc...came up with Mass and thus they want Mass plates, which we cannot of course provide...This is so unreal..

Do not have time to change over title etc. to Ma. thus...anyone KNow?

Only option insurance at border? Is available at border???

try GOOGLE...auto insurance Laredo. Lots of agents...give some a call. We have some friends from Mass. who also had problems when they drove up last year but I can't remember what they did. It HAS to be doable.

go online: https://www.segurogringo.com/default.aspx

You can call their U.S. number. They will cover your car while it's in the U.S. We had a SD plated car even though my billing address is in San Diego. The last time we got insurance we got 3 weeks for around $80.

try GOOGLE...auto insurance Laredo. Lots of agents...give some a call. We have some friends from Mass. who also had problems when they drove up last year but I can't remember what they did. It HAS to be doable.

I got insurance at the border earlier this year. I just asked the US Customs guy which way - and he gave me directions.

When I was in the States to sell my car in January, I could NOT insure it in the US with a Mexican driver's license and I have no current US licernse. So I drove it to San Antonio and then Austin without insurance. But with SD plates and a US driver's license you can get insurance easily. Charge it on your credit card then cancel it after the first month.

Your Mexican insurance MIGHT cover you in the USA. Ours (Inbursa) does. Check with your agent.

Nope only in Republic of Mexico...

Ask Tio Corp if you can get the insurance and add other drivers who have US licenses. You would not need to be in the car, they would also be covered as drivers. I am surprised at this change in requirements from them.

Already done, nope..only person with Mexican drivers license can drive, so even if I went I would have to do the total drive

go online: https://www.segurogringo.com/default.aspx

You can call their U.S. number. They will cover your car while it's in the U.S. We had a SD plated car even though my billing address is in San Diego. The last time we got insurance we got 3 weeks for around $80.

Went on this site and it states this..."This service is only for foreigners who reside permanently in Mexico and drive cars or vans with license plates from USA. Any person (FM3 Mexican or foreign) who lives in Mexico, traveling as a tourist to the U.S. in a vehicle with U.S. plates. The home must be in Mexico, and the person must be licensed in the USA." Mind you hubby does not have FM3, he comes as a tourist only...

When I was in the States to sell my car in January, I could NOT insure it in the US with a Mexican driver's license and I have no current US licernse. So I drove it to San Antonio and then Austin without insurance. But with SD plates and a US driver's license you can get insurance easily. Charge it on your credit card then cancel it after the first month.

Not so easily I am finding out...have spent hours and always boils down to hubby lives in Mass so they want a Mass plate ( tags) number..

I am going to try google, and hope he can get insurance at border. Already checked with agent in Mass. and they will not insure it either.

Disgusted in Mexico!

I didn't read all the posts but this company sells insurance for driving in the U.S. for vehicles that are foreign plated in Mexico.

https://www.segurogringo.com/default.aspx

Look to the far right to "Foreigners"

Selection of cars and vans US Plated, California plated, Canadian plated.

If English doesn't load select language by flag at the top right.

This is a new link the co. has. I didn't examine it but it looks like a faster method to buy.

http://www.nationalunitysecuretransactionma.com/nuevo/index.php

I didn't read all the posts but this company sells insurance for driving in the U.S. for vehicles that are foreign plated in Mexico.

Look to the far right to "Foreigners"

Selection of cars and vans US Plated, California plated, Canadian plated.

If English doesn't load select language by flag at the top right.

This is a new link the co. has. I didn't examine it but it looks like a faster method to buy.

http://www.nationalunitysecuretransactionma.com/nuevo/index.php

Here is what it states, I have searched the whole site...Thanks anyway..Oh the second link is inaccessible it is for you apparently to maybe sign back in..??

This service is exclusive to U.S. citizens or persons residing permanently in Mexico and individuals to drive cars or vans with license plates from California, USA and have a driving license from California, USA. The California auto insurance is mandatory for any resident of California. If you are returning to the state of California and has been residing in Mexico is necessary to apply for driver's record with the California Department of Motor Vehicles. This application is free for every driver. You need to have documentation proving their residence in Mexico (FM3, proof of address).

To clarify, are you looking to get just liability coverage or full coverage (comp, collision, etc,)?

I am looking for insurance for my car full coverage, for the drive from Laredo to Massachusetts. Person driving is co-owner with Mass. driver's license, not a permanent or resident of Mexico ( no FM3 etc.), The car currently has So Dakota plates...

also Tio Corp was able to provide insurance if had a Ca. license or Ca residence otherwise they could not help me. They did go above and beyond trying today and called with this info, and stated they could not help me.

Appears no one knows, so seems have to get insurance at border??? ugh..

Bezerk wrote:

I'm missing your problem. Click on the far right in the choice of "Cars and vans with USA license plates" and get a quote. Why are you looking at the California link? You wrote the car is going to Massachusetts and not California so get a non-California quote.

I've bought one week of insurance before for Texas and never had to show proof of Mexican residence. I assumed since you bought a MX plated car that you do live in Mexico.

Archived