Chapala.com Webboard

new mexican driving laws

barcelonaman

starting last sunday 10 november, there are new laws regarding drink driving which includes a breath test, losing your licence and possibly going to jail. also you are not allowed to use a cellular phone, read maps etc whilst driving, however for me the most interesting new law states that you cannot use a gps screen unless it is part of the original design of the car..!! all info courtesy of informador.com.mx

Jalisco, I tried looking for the publication the other day and did not see it, very tough laws.

starting last sunday 10 november, there are new laws regarding drink driving which includes a breath test, losing your licence and possibly going to jail. also you are not allowed to use a cellular phone, read maps etc whilst driving, however for me the most interesting new law states that you cannot use a gps screen unless it is part of the original design of the car..!! all info courtesy of informador.com.mx

This could generate enough in fines to get Chapala out of debt in about 6 months.

That's the funny part of it. If they actually practiced basic traffic enforcement instead of selective theft, the municipal police could generate tons of legitimate revenue from the Mexican drivers, many of whom basically ignore all the traffic rules, even the most basic ones about stop lights and stop signs.

It's amazing to me how gringo-centric some of you folks in Chapala are,these new traffic laws are not targeting you,they are directed at the driving public in general,the vast vast majority of whom are Mexican.

Yes, I totally agree, there is not a special sub topic for "Gringos only" and of course the laws are written for "all MX" - but you know, it's odd how many, and often, those laws are only enforced AGAINST gringos, odd huh?

I've driven into the Village for 6+ years and many many times followed people, traveling west, turn S onto Colon while there are signs etc. saying NO LEFT TURN - and I've even seen it in front of, or in the presence of, Police - yet they're (MXN) never ticketed. So, once recently when I was in the Village at Dark:30 to take people to the airport I thought I'd chance it, I looked and saw no one, and actually - as a gringo - turned Left onto Colon and got away with it - WOW, the surge of adrenlin.

It's amazing to me how gringo-centric some of you folks in Chapala are,these new traffic laws are not targeting you,they are directed at the driving public in general,the vast vast majority of whom are Mexican.

It is apparent that you have not accepted the local opinion that The Village, previously known as Ajijic, is the center of the universe, which orbits around that tiny piece of real estate for the sole benefit of its foreign residents. Some of us just are not with the program, evidently. :014:

The new laws are good. I hope they enforce them.

It has been my observation that some of the worst drivers, in the lakeside area, are gringos. I have two Mexican acquaintances who have been hit by ladies driving foreign plated cars, where the women took off. I watched one fella, from Ontario, block a street, preventing any cars from turning in from the carretera. He parked and then got out and opened the door for his wife so she could get to a nearby restaurant. This was parking his car across both lanes of a street and getting out! I watched two drive the wrong way onto a one way street just yesterday morning, in San Antonio.

And then there are the pedestrians: I know you want to cross the street and it can be confusing, but if you are standing in the middle of the street, you are blocking traffic! This happens a lot at Allen W Lloyd, near café negro. I want to honk some times, just to get the attention of some of these people, so they can move out of the way and people can continue their legal turns.

So, please, lets not focus on just the Mexican drivers. It is amazing we do not have crashed cars and injured pedestrians all over this town. And that's before "cocktail hour",

Yes, I totally agree, there is not a special sub topic for "Gringos only" and of course the laws are written for "all MX" - but you know, it's odd how many, and often, those laws are only enforced AGAINST gringos, odd huh?

I see people getting stopped by transitos everyday in Guadalajara and guess what,they're all Mexicans,odd huh?

I see people getting stopped by transitos everyday in Guadalajara and guess what,they're all Mexicans,odd huh?

I see Mexicans getting pulled over all the time! Am I the only one seeing this? Many of the foreigners here do not have a lot of Mexican friends, so maybe they just have the impression that Mexican's are not getting tickets. I just watched a Mexican man in a red truck, get pulled over today. I think he ran a red light. He definitely was trying to apologize for something. My Taxi driver says he gets bitten at least twice a month.

I wonder if the transitos have started to enforce these laws....?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Half of Mexican drivers don't have licenses

Mexico Star (IANS) Thursday 11th July, 2013

More than 50 percent of Mexican drivers operate vehicles without licenses, a new survey found.

The figure comes from a nationwide telephone survey of 800 people conducted in June by Gabinete de Comunicacion Estrategica, or GCE.

Some 53.5 percent of respondents said they drove without a license.

The survey found that 68.7 percent of the unlicensed drivers are women, GCE said.

The survey also revealed that 42.7 percent of drivers do not have automobile insurance.

No, but I'll bet they're making good money off of this one.

And you hear many more sirens on the weekends when the Tapatios are here driving like crazy, this past weekend we saw them coming into town making extra lanes and passing everyone on both sides of the road.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the transitos enforced the new motorcycle laws. They law specifically require the motorcycle to occupy it's own lane and not share your lane with you. I'd love to see them ticket these clowns for riding the line passing all cars and driving up the outside of my lane. These stupid tricks just invite an accident and I always recall the adage "the gringo is always at fault"!

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the transitos enforced the new motorcycle laws. They law specifically require the motorcycle to occupy it's own lane and not share your lane with you. I'd love to see them ticket these clowns for riding the line passing all cars and driving up the outside of my lane. These stupid tricks just invite an accident and I always recall the adage "the gringo is always at fault"!

In California and several other states it's legal, it's called lane splitting. I really don't have a problem with it. At least down here most of the bikes and scooters are 250cc and under. People should be paying attention to traffic. In California when I see a motorcycle coming beside me in my lane I will move over to let them by.

We have seen this in London, Paris, Japan & Canada - USA. The riders that get into accidents are usually because of auto drivers who do not look at intersections. The auto driver is most often the one at fault.

Isn't it fun living Lakeside. Just look at all our new experiences that we never had NOB. Paradise has it's price and we never tell those NOB how much we complain and bitch about things down here. We want them to believe all is hunky dory in paradise. :)

Do you really think that the local drivers here have ever had any drivers education? do you even think they KNOW what the laws are? or, do you assume they can even read? do you think they even have a driver's license? do you think they have car insurance? and if so, how in the world can they afford it? do you think the transitos will enforce any of these 'new' laws? where have you been in the past decade? surely not driving up and down the Carretera here at Lake Chapala.....where the traffic lights are not working 1/2 the time, and where you see 3-4 people on a motor scooter, babies in front or between 2 adults or children, driving while talking on cell phones, drivers drinking beer, driving much faster than the posted speed limit, tail lights and/or head lights not working, 8 people standing in the rear of a pick-up truck, no car seats, no seat belts, no brake lights, no use of turn signals, passing on the right, not stopping at red lights, or stop signs, using the bicycle lane to pass over the speed bumps, bicyclists driving at dark with no lights on their bikes, wearing dark clothing, or....etc etc etc....

Not until there is consistent enforcement will any driving law, new or old, be respected or followed. It won't happen over night....it will take years...and unfortunately, many more human beings will die on the highways...sad but true.

I grew up in a small town NOB - we had drivers drinking beer, driving much faster than the posted speed limit, tail lights and/or head lights not working, 8 people standing in the rear of a pick-up truck, no car seats, no seat belts, no brake lights, no use of turn signals, passing on the right, not stopping at red lights( I think we had 2), or stop signs We did not have cell phones or bike lanes - but would sometimes get 3 on a motorcycle. It was not that long ago. I know that does not make it right but Mexico will get to where USA is eventually.

I'd rather put up with a little anarchy than having the government in your face all the time citing you for this, that and whatever the way they are NOB. Perhaps having been a motorcycle rider for over 55 years has trained me in defensive driving as I don't have any trouble driving around here and appreciate all the little freedoms that have been lost up there, like celebrating with fireworks, those globos every September, street parties, and the like.

There are risks here that the nanny state "protects" us from NOB but the reward is no nanny state and a lot of often unexpected fun and excitement.

Kalik described growing up in Phoenix, AZ to a "t." Those days are gone forever there but not here. :)

Archived