Chapala.com Webboard

Where to have Chihuahuas Teeth Cleaned

I know....My fur babies are my only babies so I am more protective and freaked out than normal "parents"... With that said, I am looking for a local option to have teeth cleaned without completely anesthetizing the pups. I understand there are options that include mild to moderate sedatives but so far have been unable to locate this option lakeside.

Anyone with experience along these lines? My sweets range from 4 to 6 lbs. and I have 3 of them.

Hoping for some local options but willing to go to GDL if needed.

Thanks, in advance,

Valerie :)

We just had our two little ones done at the vet across from ElTorito and was very pleased. Go ask him what he can do. He did one little one and when he was finished, we took the other one to him. He called us as soon as they were awake.

Do not feed bones of any kind to your dogs. I gave our big dog a bone which almost killed him. This same vet worked with him 3 days to save him. He could not pass the mass. Yes, I had always given my dogs bones until I experienced this...

Just had my diabetic cat's teeth cleaned over at LaDrone's, by the animal shelter.

He does cleanings on Weds. Drop off at 9:30am, pick up at 2pm

Does a mild hypnotic plus mild sedative, not like full anesthesia up north.

My cat was fine when I picked him up. Cost was 750 pesos.

I had my dog's teeth cleaned by Dr. Memo -- he looked at her teeth, asked me some questions (like whether she'd ever been under anesthesia before -- no), and decided to use a light dose of anesthesia, enough to make her woozy and keep her still, but not enough to knock her out. I can't be sure that he would *never* recommend full anesthesia, but if you expressed your concerns to him, I'm sure he would either agree or explain why he felt full anesthesia was necessary in that particular case.

Up north someone (a professional vet tech) very skilled with a dental tool simply swaddled the dog (with an assistant) while she cleaned their teeth. The results were remarkable. I would be happy to find this type of service down here. We do not want anesthesia for our small dog.

RAW bones are good for dogs and keep their teeth clean. If you give cooked bones they splinter and can cause serious problems. I've always given my dogs raw bones and have never had a problem and never had to have their teeth cleaned. If you give raw bones you will need to check their teeth regularly to make sure there are no gum problems.

Bones are definitely recommended, if raw. However, there is a danger with multiple dogs; they are competitive and tend not to relax and chew. Instead, they try to finish one bone quickly and then steal another bone. As such, we nearly lost one stupid little dog to choking. So, be sure to give your dogs big bones; no matter how small the dog. You may think that a raw chicken leg bone is just right for your 4-8 pound dog, but they can, and will, turn them endwise and swallow & choke. Bigger is better, with some meat attached to keep their early interest. The challenge and the resulting work of chewing for more is the cleaning action. Do it weekly.

I'm also very protective of my girl, so I'm sharing my experience with a vet known as Pepe. He operates out of a pet supply store whivh i happen to really like. I don't know his full/actual name. I brought my dog in for a tooth cleaning, with sedation. I'll never use his services or be able to go back to that store again.

To my horror, he had her sedated for several hours, for totally unnecessary reasons. Eight hours later, I picked her up, and found her utterly distressed,not in a cage or kennel, but on the hard, bare, filthy floor, with her leash hanging on the end of the vet table. She was drenched in her own urine and was so overly drugged and terrified. She had serious breathing problems. Pepe told me she had water in her lungs even though I insisted I brought her in with no such breathing issues. He sold me three different meds for the "infection"and "water in her lungs" and insisted that I was wrong when I suggested that she appeared too heavily sedated for what should have been a thirty minute procedure. He did not conduct a single test or exam when I asked him as to how he reached his conclusions.

For two days my dog couldn't walk, open her eyes or breathe without wheezing or great effort. I brought her in to Dr Delfina the next day, and he confirmed my dog had no purported infection or water in the lungs, and was indeed sedated for far too long. I saw that he has clean, comfortable kennels for the dogs and cats to recover in, feeling safe and not exposed to other incoming animals. At Pepes facility, which is essentially an unenclosed office area people and dogs randomly walk right past the area of the floor upon which my dog was left to recover for hours.

I know that different vets have different standards of care, but in this situation, the price was no less than what Dr Delfina would have charged, and my dog would not have been sedated for over five hours, left to recover terrified, uncomfortable and drenched in her own urine on a cold, filthy floor, and would not have developed serious breathing problems. Nor would I have been sold three separate expensive medications for a condition that my dog did not have. Dr Delfina confirmed that each med was improper and should never have been sold to me. Good thing I never used them.

I feel terrible that I let this happen to my dog, and I recomend to any pet lover to take their pet to Dr Delfina, for anything. His prices are very reasonable, he knows his business well and stays up to date with vet science, and truly loves animals. I don't doubt that Pepe loves animals, but my standard for my dog renders his facilities, and his methods, absolutely unacceptable.

I still feel awful each time I recall seeing my urine soaked dog post-procedure, where i was struggling to pick up my dog and carry her to the car, whimpering, terrified and unable to move because she was so sedated, and wheezing and miserable. Her prior teeth cleanings with other vets were quick and easy two hour procedures, start to finish, and she had bounced back to her normal self within an hour. I wouldn't want anyone to experience such a thing as I did.

I doubt that it is available here; whatever it is. Surely not for 15 pesos. :)

Newbies are forgiven for thinking that we can get everything here, or that we think in dollars, of any kind. Just pesos here.

Would you be more specific about where Dr. Pepe's office is located? Was it on the west side of Ajijic or in San Antonio?

I have been using Dr. Delfino, too. He is in San Antonio a little east of Mailboxes. He is located next to the Italian Ice Cream place on the lake side of the carratera. He is truely a gifted person and obviously cares for our four-legged children. He has a microscope so when I took my dog in for a skin condition, he did a scraping and was able to diagnose her right then. His prices are very reasonable!

Dr. Delfino did blood work on my furkid because I thought she had a urinary infection, and when I returned the next day for results, he told me her urea level was ten times normal and that she was dying. I immediately called my Houston vet, who said that was impossible... that if those results were correct, she'd already be dead. Obviously the lab made the mistake, but my vet said that any second year vet student would have known the test results were impossible. Won't be going back there!

Let's be real real careful here - and not slander Dr Pepe Magana.

Serenity6 specially said in a prior post::

I'm also very protective of my girl, so I'm sharing my experience with a vet known as Pepe. He operates out of a pet supply store whivh i happen to really like. I don't know his full/actual name. I brought my dog in for a tooth cleaning, with sedation. I'll never use his services or be able to go back to that store again.............

This is not Dr Pepe Magana that Serenity6 is dissing- no one would ever confuse this office and shelter as a pet supply store.

Perhaps the Pepe that Serenit6 is referring too is with the new pet supply store down from Cafe Magana -

As a side note - today I was traveling on the careterra and turned just past Dr Pepe Magana's office to go up the mountain. At the intersection, there was a dog that looked like he was in distress, so I stopped. As I got out of my car, I saw Dr Lena and a helper running from Dr Pepe's office to get to the dog - which they said had just been hit. That driver never stopped. An actually another one did to offer to drive the injured dog back to Dr Pepe. I couldn't believe how calm the dog was - and the helper was able to pick the dog up and carry him to Dr Pepe's office for treatment. i heard later that the dog had a broken femur.

And... to continue on - the person that told me the dog had a broken femur was at Dr Pepe Magana's office with a dog that was a victim of a been a hit and run (by an expat)on the same street several weeks prior.

please folks - consider stopping by Dr Pepe Magana's office with a donation - as he really does spend alot of time tending to homeless dogs that have been injured - by people that are driving too fast and not paying attention.

And who knows who Serenity6 is referring too - but not Dr Pepe Magana.

Archived