Chapala.com Webboard

LLT´s “The Heiress” is Spectacular

Xena

Went to the preview night Thursday of "The Heiress" at Lakeside Little Theatre and can not remember the last time I so enjoyed a community theater performance. It was a delight from beginning to end.

It was also the first time I had seen a set receive applause. When the curtain opened to the empty set, there was a collective gasp and spontaneous applause. During intermission I spoke with one of the set designers, Beth Cathcart, and learned that this is the first time she had designed a stage set—along with Alex Pinkerton. I overheard one audience member say it was the best little theatre set he had ever seen. I would not argue. Kudos to all those who did the work of bringing the set from design to reality through the hard work of building, painting and gathering of materials, furnishings and props. Outstanding!

The cast members were also remarkable. In many productions there are standouts and those who are adequate and then those who barely fill a role. Each of the nine members of this cast was excellent in his or her part and the preview performance was flawless.

I hope this play will be well supported and appreciated by the community. The exceptional array of talent in all areas from start to finish deserves to be sold out at every performance. Do yourself a favor and get your tickets now.

"Spectacular" is the word for it. A period piece, set in 1850's New York, gives the opportunity for a lush set and costumes and then there's the story: a romance, a melodrama, a heart tugger which offers ample opportunity for discussion after the show as well. I think this show has everything.

I went last night and it was "Spectacular". The set is very luxurious and the costumes are out of the park fantastic. Think of ladies dressed in pouffy expensive dresses, men dressed in waist coats, top hats and gloves. I couldn't wait to see what the next costume change would bring. And the acting is absolutely top notch. I was transported to a gentler time. The ending shockd me and made for some very interesting conversation after the show. Grab some friends and go, you will not be dissappointed.

The show runs from Fri Nov 8 through Sun Nov 17. Monday night is dark. Sundays are matinees only at 3pm with the box office open at 2pm. Otherwise it runs every evening at 7:30pm with the box office open at 6:30pm. Box office is not open Sunday morning but otherwise it is open 10am to noon each day for the run of the show or until all seats are sold out. If you can't make it to the box office easily then call the answering machine at the theatre and leave your name, phone number, and tell them how many seats you want and on which date and they can hold them for you. Be sure to speak clearly. ( People often don't! ) You then can come and pay for your tickets and pick them up when the box office opens one hour before the show. Seats are available on all dates at the moment. The box office number is 766-0954.

Its a wonderful show!! It recently finished another run on Broadway and was made into an Academy Award winning movie many years ago. http://www.theheiressonbroadway.com/about/about/

Don't miss it if you enjoy live theatre.

Archived