Chapala.com Webboard

An amazing story of serendepity...kinda long.

elevator

I played basketball in 1972/73 for the Charros de Jalisco, which was a professionl team in Guad at the time. There were 12 teams in cities around Mexico and each team coud have up to five american players. We played four games a week and traveled all over the country by train and bus, which was quite an adventure in those days. Over the six months I became very good friends with the Mexican players as we were all in our early twenties and shared many experiences together. My wife and I have been planning a trip lakeside for a year or so to see if it was where we wanted to retire. I thought it would be great to find som of my old teammates I began to try. I tried contacting the papers that covered our games, but onl one was still around and had no luck finding anyone to help me.The Charros went out of existence years ago so no help there and trying to get get information in a city of 8 million people, with limited Spanish, from the US was impossibe. No luck on Facebook, so I gave up.

On the plane down from Atlanta three weeks ago I had an aisle seat, there was an empty seat next to me and a young man in is 30s by the window. He had earphones on the enire flight, but I heard him spek Spanish to the flt attendant so I assumed he ws Mexican.Fifteen mnutes prior tolanding he took off his earphones and I just happened to lean over and say "do you live in Guadalajara"? He spoke english well, said "yes" and was I coming for a vacation. I told him my wife and I were considering moving to Lakeside and that I playd basketball in Guad 40 years before. He said he played ball in school and still played some. I told of him om y search for myold friends and he said it woud be lmst impossible in a city that big after o many years, but would h tell me their names. I mentined a few and the last one was Antonio Mejia. He said he knew TonyMeji, but he was in his 30s as well, but maybe his father lyed bsketball at one time. He said it was common name in Mexico, but to give him my email and phone # and he ould speak to his friend. I didn't think much of it, bt two da later emaild me that h friend's father was the Antonio Meji that played with me forty years ago. He gave me the phone # and Antono and I spoke for te first time in forty years.

He called four of our other old teammates who sitll lived around Guadalajra and my wife and i met them for breakfast a week later with all of their wives and kids and grandkids. It was a 3 hour reunion. When my ife and I move to Lakeside we wil have them and the other players from other cities come to our home for dinner. Eght million people, forty years...what are the chances? I have some photos I may post later if anyone cares to see them.

Thanks for appreciating the story folks I'm glad I shared it. Wonder what an actuarial chart would come with on the chances. I knew about Lake Chapala because the rich Mexican that owned the team used to tell me about going down to the lake on weekends and about how beautiful it was. Wish I'd bought property back in 1973. Anyway, the wife and I loved Lakeside and will be moving as soon as we sell our house in Atlanta.

I played basketball in 1972/73 for the Charros de Jalisco, which was a professionl team in Guad at the time. There were 12 teams in cities around Mexico and each team coud have up to five american players. We played four games a week and traveled all over the country by train and bus, which was quite an adventure in those days. Over the six months I became very good friends with the Mexican players as we were all in our early twenties and shared many experiences together. My wife and I have been planning a trip lakeside for a year or so to see if it was where we wanted to retire. I thought it would be great to find som of my old teammates I began to try. I tried contacting the papers that covered our games, but onl one was still around and had no luck finding anyone to help me.The Charros went out of existence years ago so no help there and trying to get get information in a city of 8 million people, with limited Spanish, from the US was impossibe. No luck on Facebook, so I gave up.

On the plane down from Atlanta three weeks ago I had an aisle seat, there was an empty seat next to me and a young man in is 30s by the window. He had earphones on the enire flight, but I heard him spek Spanish to the flt attendant so I assumed he ws Mexican.Fifteen mnutes prior tolanding he took off his earphones and I just happened to lean over and say "do you live in Guadalajara"? He spoke english well, said "yes" and was I coming for a vacation. I told him my wife and I were considering moving to Lakeside and that I playd basketball in Guad 40 years before. He said he played ball in school and still played some. I told of him om y search for myold friends and he said it woud be lmst impossible in a city that big after o many years, but would h tell me their names. I mentined a few and the last one was Antonio Mejia. He said he knew TonyMeji, but he was in his 30s as well, but maybe his father lyed bsketball at one time. He said it was common name in Mexico, but to give him my email and phone # and he ould speak to his friend. I didn't think much of it, bt two da later emaild me that h friend's father was the Antonio Meji that played with me forty years ago. He gave me the phone # and Antono and I spoke for te first time in forty years.

He called four of our other old teammates who sitll lived around Guadalajra and my wife and i met them for breakfast a week later with all of their wives and kids and grandkids. It was a 3 hour reunion. When my ife and I move to Lakeside we wil have them and the other players from other cities come to our home for dinner. Eght million people, forty years...what are the chances? I have some photos I may post later if anyone cares to see them.

Elevator, that is a wonderful story, with a beautiful ending...tho, you might be able write more.

Just so you know, should you choose, you can sign back in, and go to you message...then at the bottom, it will say EDIT.

You can edit your story, then.

Hope to see pics later on, and Good Luck.

Johnny

Se reúnen los Charros de Jalisco de basquetbol de 1970
969743.jpg

De izquierda a derecha: Melesio Ruíz, Antonio Mejía, Aristeo Mejía, Ralph White y Sergio Ruíz.

Los pioneros del basquetbol profesional en Jalisco se reúnen después de más de 40 años

• El encuentro estuvo lleno de recuerdos
GUADALAJARA, JALISCO (12/OCT/2013).- Hace 41 años fueron los pioneros del básquetbol profesional de Jalisco, ahora, grandes amigos que se vuelven a reencontrar por esas casualidades del destino. Algunos de los integrantes del equipo Charros de Jalisco de basquetbol, se reunieron tras un largo periodo de no saber nada de ninguno.

"Fue de mera casualidad, iba para los Estados Unidos y en el avión me tocó de compañero de viaje un señor que me comenzó a contar de que en su juventud jugó básquet en Guadalajara, perteneciendo a uno de los equipos más importantes de la liga mexicana; le conté que mi padre también fue jugador y así salió que fueron compañeros. Era el señor Ralph White, quien ha sido uno de los mejores extranjeros que han venido a México en aquellos años.
"El señor White me externó su deseo por volver a ver a sus queridos compañeros, entonces se me ocurrió esta reunión y aquí están, mi papá Antonio Mejía y sus antiguos compañeros de juego", comentaba un emocionado Antonio Mejía Jr, luego de sentir la alegría de ver a su padre feliz.

De ese histórico equipo, lograron juntarse Sergio Ruíz, Aristeo Mejía, Antonio Mejía, Melesio Ruíz y Ralph White, quienes no pararon de recordar sus anécdotas, los juegos, la Guadalajara que les tocó vivir hace 40 años.

"41 años se dice fácil, pero ya analizándolo, es mucho tiempo. Nosotros jugamos en el Coliseo Olímpico, uno que se encontraba en las calles de Hospicio y Cabañas, que después sería derrumbado para hacer la Plaza Tapatía. Nosotros fuimos los Charros de Jalisco, había un equipo de beisbol con el mismo nombre, es que ambas escuadras pertenecían al mismo dueño", comentó Antonio Mejía.

"Nosotros fuimos los primeros jugadores que nos pagaron por jugar, fuimos profesionales, pero como muchos también pertenecían a la Selección Jalisco, para no perder el título de amateurs, se nos daba el dinero y se decía que era apoyo solamente. Ése equipo de Charros de Jalisco solamente duró un año, luego se integró a un club donde había varios socios y se cambió el nombre a Pozoleros de Jalisco".

"Posteriormente ese equipo desaparecería y luego de algunos años de descanso, la UdeG entró al basquetbol profesional y nos integró para que representáramos a la universidad", apuntó Melesio Ruíz.

Fue un desayuno muy ameno y emotivo, donde los ex jugadores llegaron acompañados de sus familias, todo para realizar un viaje por el tiempo.

"La verdad es que hay un sentimiento de alegría inmensa, porque después de jugar juntos, cada quien siguió con su vida, todos teníamos estudios diferentes y ninguno continuó ligado al basquetbol, solamente Melesio (Ruíz) que llegó a ser presidente de la asociación a principios de los noventa; pero todos nos perdimos la pista hasta ahora. Es muy bonito recordar aquellos tiempos de nuestra juventud y espero que este tipo de reuniones se den más seguido", comentó Sergio Ruíz.

EL INFORMADOR/ RODRIGO MEDERO

- See more at: http://www.elinformador.mx/deportes/2013/490801/6/se-reunen-los-charros-de-jalisco-de-basquetbol-de-1970.htm#sthash.R7HZhdYU.dpuf

Archived