Chapala.com Webboard

November 2013 immigration changes

Intercasa

We have been informed of some changes to immigration procedures:

Chapala will now want to see original passports with all immigration applications

They want ALL pages of bank statements translated, it doesn't matter if all the goodies show on page 1, they are now asking for all pages.

And this is on top of making people go to Guadalajara to pick up their new cards, they said they might send batches over or allow people with special circumstances have someone else pick them up, shall we document this by having granny flip them the bird while seated in her wheelchair?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to see Granny in her wheelchair trying to leave immigration in Guadalajara after they've shut down the elevator....oh, and better have her catheterized too since the only washrooms are in the basement.

You're laughing but it happened to us two years ago. We were there so long I thought I was gonna bust a gasket. The elevator was NOT operational and I walked down to the basement and darn near had a coronary climbing the stairs back up to wait some more. My hubby cannot do stairs at all and when we finally got to leave, we had to wheedle to use a private elevator to get back down.

The building is NOT senior or handicapped friendly and the whole process now is not only not friendly, it's downright hostile. Glad I'm not going through it now.

The "tipping point". Funny how sometimes what seems a rather small thing finally tips the scale into the red zone - for me, this is it. When I moved here 6 years ago, friends and family asked "why"? - I didn't have a good answer. But, I made a good life here and have, for the most part, enjoyed living in Mexico. However, recently I made the decision to return NOB next year and friends here ask "why"? - until now I didn't have a good answer, but now I'll simply tell them that the next time I want an anal exam, I'll pay a proctologist to do it in the privacy of his examination room, not some petty Mexican civil servant to perform it publicly at the local INM office. This clears any lingering doubts I may have had about the decision to return NOB.

We have been informed of some changes to immigration procedures:

Chapala will now want to see original passports with all immigration applications

They want ALL pages of bank statements translated, it doesn't matter if all the goodies show on page 1, they are now asking for all pages.

And this is on top of making people go to Guadalajara to pick up their new cards, they said they might send batches over or allow people with special circumstances have someone else pick them up, shall we document this by having granny flip them the bird while seated in her wheelchair?

Is this for Temporal renewals or original applications where approval was given by a consulate?

If the elevators are working, folks with infirmities can drive into the underground parking garage at the rear of the Federal building. Then, they can take the elevator up to the 4th floor. It is a secure area, so when you drive in, you may have to touch your horn if there is no attendant at the gate. Tell him you are unable to use the stairs. It helps if you have a handicap sticker on your windshield.

This will be for all renewals.

It is not as bad as it seems. I watched a guard spot an elderly couple in the line up on the stairs and he sent another one down to tell them to come up to the front and sit in the chairs. I talked to them and they said, after their first visit the guard told them not to wait in line and to just come and they would let them sit and wait for their turn. There was also a lady with a baby in a stroller and they allowed her to come inside and wait while her husband stood in line. They are not all cold hearted and cruel. If the elevator is not working, it really would be hard on people and I do not know what they would do..... but that can happen anywhere.

Line ups suck. waiting sucks. Having the ability to pay someone to wait in line for you is awesome, so I hope that they allow facilitators to do this on behalf of people who are not physically able, or just lazy people like me.

Prove income only if you renew late or jump from temporary to permanent and don´t have a 3 or 4 on back of your card or do it more than 30 days in advance.

Prove income only if you renew late or jump from temporary to permanent and don´t have a 3 or 4 on back of your card or do it more than 30 days in advance.

I understand that the number goes up as you renew each year with temporary , but what about those who got their temporary for 3 more years, they only have a 1 on the back?

I understand that the number goes up as you renew each year with temporary , but what about those who got their temporary for 3 more years, they only have a 1 on the back?

I think there is a misunderstanding here. When you get your first temporary there is no number it is a zero for first year. Renew the second year and there is a one on the back. Renew the third and there is a two on the back.

I think I got that correct.

Some of us had FM3s for 5 years and changed to the new Temporado which started all over with a zero and we could not at the time use the previous years toward a Permanente.

If we prove income only if we are late then why do they need bank statements? No other INM office is asking for bank statements for renewals.

I looked back on some statements just to see what gold mine of information might be there to translate ALL pages. I find two checks a month one for rent and the other to deposit the rest in my Bancomer acct. The statement simply says "check cleared", not to whom or why, a debit for Shaw Direct each month, a monthly debit for Vonage and a yearly check to each of my Gkids for Bdays plus an occasional piece of software or domain renewal. Wow, what a gold mine, I'm sure that speaks volumes for my way of life and why I should be allowed to live in MX temporarily?

Regular on time renewals need no bank stmts, only people jumping ahead to permanent.

Some of us had FM3s for 5 years and changed to the new Temporado which started all over with a zero and we could not at the time use the previous years toward a Permanente.

Yes you could. We became Residente Temporal and then moved straight to Residente Permanente with only 1 renewal and previous time on FM3 counted and no financials required. It was done in Guadalajara in June, 2013, and took seven weeks, start to finish. However, it seems that some Chapala INM policies may have changed. Ask SPencer.

Yes you could. We became Residente Temporal and then moved straight to Residente Permanente with only 1 renewal and previous time on FM3 counted and no financials required.

Not at the time I renewed my Temporal. When mine was in the process, Chapala INM loosened up and let people move to Permanente with less than a 3 without financials.

I'm sure Spencer's post is still here where he wrote that we could get a Permanente with less than a 3 without showing financials. That should have been last January.

Spencer wrote today:

Apparently it is back to last year's requirement that you cannot go Permanente without financials with less than a 3. You were one of the people who lucked out.

The one thing that cracks me up is that all the folks who jumped on the Permanente bandwagon believing "they'll never ever have to deal with INM again"? - yeah right, the rules change weekly as you can see, good luck on that one.

Put this in context. We've all played poker for money, when you put your money out on the table did you know the rules? - I'd bet you did, then what if about the time you have 4 aces etc and were ready to cash in, someone jumped up and said "oops, Clubs and Hearts don't count any more" - would you reach for your gun - or? The point being that you never play a serious game without knowing the "rules" which, in this case, are supposed to be "laws" - although it seems that concept is still unknown in Mexico.

The one thing that cracks me up is that all the folks who jumped on the Permanente bandwagon believing "they'll never ever have to deal with INM again"? - yeah right, the rules change weekly as you can see, good luck on that one.

Put this in context. We've all played poker for money, when you put your money out on the table did you know the rules? - I'd bet you did, then what if about the time you have 4 aces etc and were ready to cash in, someone jumped up and said "oops, Clubs and Hearts don't count any more" - would you reach for your gun - or? The point being that you never play a serious game without knowing the "rules" which, in this case, are supposed to be "laws" - although it seems that concept is still unknown in Mexico.

Watch out. You know there are some people here who think we are way out of line for expecting Mexico to play fair. We are the stupid ones for complaining that the rules changed and seem to change monthly. We expect professionalism and logic and we are wrong.

I think there is a misunderstanding here. When you get your first temporary there is no number it is a zero for first year. Renew the second year and there is a one on the back. Renew the third and there is a two on the back.

I think I got that correct.

This was our first renewal , going from the old FM2. We renewed for 3 more years. The expiration date says 2016 . But the number on the back says 1. This is confusing because then it looks like in 2016 we would get a 2. Should we have gotten a 3 or 4 ? I thought you could only have a temporary for 4 years before having to start the process all or go permanente.

Archived