Chapala.com Webboard

UTM Map System / Datam NAD 27 Mexico to Lat & Long

mkshawn

I am looking for a source to buy several typographical reference maps for our area of Western Mexico & then download a simple to use co-ordinate converter to input John Pints UTM references that are available in his publication: "Outdoors in Western Mexico". We are a group of 70 something "want to be's" looking to explore the less strenuous areas of our local, using our GPS handhelds, pints simple sketch maps & references with the typographical reference maps as back-up.

Don't know if or where there might by UTM map sheets of this region, especially those at a scale that is somewhat usable (1:50,000 would be the largest usable I have found). There is a work around however.

The UTM coordinates can be converted to WGS (or GPS coords) using Internet available conversion programs. Google "UTM to WGS conversion".

An advantage to using WGS is the elimination of UTM azimuth convergence issues between waypoints (especially if you rely on a compass) that can be bothersome. In addition, if there's a UTM zone change there's a very real possibility of ending up a very long way from where you want to be.

I have discovered that the latest converter/input between UTM Map System & lat & longs exists in the smartphone app world. The first that I am experimenting with is "GPS Essentials". With-in the app you can specify the Datum Source by Continent, Region/Country & year, now I need the local area map to verify their datum spec. This apps will trac u as you move, reverse the track as most systems due, utilize compass bearing c/w sounds to narrow your track etc. Some very confusing interfaces but what the heck it's FREE. More when my patience for these things improves.

Archived