Chapala.com Webboard

state cops inside wallmart with weapons

Like every day this morning i went to wallmart for shopping, my surprise was that there was cops inside with big weapons, it is normal, and it is legal?, i think not. What is your opinión?

In Guadalajara and elsewhere in Mexico it's common to see heavily armed police all over the place,at first I found it a little disconcerting but I've gotten use to it.It's probably against regulations for them not to carry their arms while on duty,even if they're just having lunch or something.

Legal? Cops are the law. I get scared when they are seated across the table and shotgun sitting on their lap pointing at me while they eat tacos, that is scary.

Armed guards are required in Mexico for many things, including the delivery of liquor and cigarettes to stores of any size. In addition, the people who pick up and deliver money to stores are always armed.

For a long time, upstairs at the Plaza Galerias, there was an armed guard with a (sawed-off) shotgun. My first ever drive through toll-booths on the way to Manzanillo 15 years ago, I was kind of freaked to see a couple of uniforms with semi-automatic weapons at all of them. Got used to it pretty quickly, though.

Years ago I used to see plain clothes citizens in Switzerland on the tram and on the street with automatic weapons. They were required to keep the with them at work or school at certain times. Germany had federal police every where with sub-machine guns on the streets. Isreal also has citizens armed in plain clothes. In most countries more armed citizens equals less violent crime.

There used to be more armed guards/police, etc around town. When I first started coming here over 4 years ago, there was always someone armed outside of every bank. I only see that on payday, now.

Sometimes, the State Police need to shop! During the PanAm games, when all of the Federal Police were here, it was totally normal to see them in full gear, armed, inside of WalMart - shopping for toiletries, clothes, etc.

There used to be more armed guards/police, etc around town. When I first started coming here over 4 years ago, there was always someone armed outside of every bank. I only see that on payday, now.

Bank robberies in Guadalajara have skyrocketed ever since the state police stopped guarding them because the banks refused to help pay for the costs of the security.

I wouldn't be so quick to characterize the Polica Estatal or the Federales as criminals.

Last month in Mexico City a band of kidnappers was dismantled,of the 18 arrested 15 were federales.

Yes, they have fear inside WalMart. They could be gunned down any where and it has happened. David, you haven't been in Mexico very long, have you? You and your children, unfortunately, if coming from Canada or the USA, are due for many shocking discoveries about Mexico. This is a 3rd World Country, not a first or second. This paradise is Definitely a double edged sword ! Be very careful. :(

David is the owner or manager of Tabarka Restaurant.

They can shopping without his weapons, or they have fear inside Wallmart too. I am shopping with my son and dauther, and they are really scared, and answer to me why these people are shopping whith weapons? I can¨t give them a response.

When ever there is a delivery of money to banks and ATM machines etc, the "cops" always carry arms..there is a ATM machine in Walmart..the local police carry guns etc...depending on the age of your children don't they read the papers and sede the Mexican TV news etc.. I guess most of us who come from NOB think of the police etc as the good guys and are going to protect us

For a long time, upstairs at the Plaza Galerias, there was an armed guard with a (sawed-off) shotgun. My first ever drive through toll-booths on the way to Manzanillo 15 years ago, I was kind of freaked to see a couple of uniforms with semi-automatic weapons at all of them. Got used to it pretty quickly, though.

Why are semi-automatic weapons any more scary than other guns?

Except for shotguns and muzzle-loaders, pretty much all modern guns are semi-automatic. All guns that hold their bullets in a clip and chamber the next round when fired, shooting just one bullet per trigger pull, are semi-automatic. Think of the little Walther PPK that Sean Connery carried discreetly in a tux-jacket-pocket as '007 back in the 1960's. Even modern revolvers are semi-automatic, because the previous shot cocks the hammer and revolves the cylinder. ???

The shotgun that Spencer mentions being pointed at him during taco-time seems way scarier, especially at close range with no view of whether the safety is on.

Yes, they have fear inside WalMart. They could be gunned down any where and it has happened. David, you haven't been in Mexico very long, have you? You and your children, unfortunately, if coming from Canada or the USA, are due for many shocking discoveries about Mexico. This is a 3rd World Country, not a first or second. This paradise is Definitely a double edged sword ! Be very careful. :(

Please research the term "Third World Country" Mexico is certainly not a third world country.

Twenty years ago I arrived at Schiphol airport in Amsterdam. There were teenage soldiers/police everywhere with AK47?? What a shock for a small town Canadian. Since then I have travelled the world & it is common to see armed police.

I am so glad to live here where I can wander the plaza at 10 at night with no concern. We are not seeing the $%&/()s shooting people in shopping malls, schools or A&W.

When you travel to more countries you will understand what I am saying

the problema is they was arround fifty inside and another fifty outside, they can give his weapons to they partners outside and shopping with calm, i talk about their actittude , i live in Mexico since 13 years ago but still i have fear from cops, maybe i have two really bad moments with federal and state pólice, one 5 a.m going to the fish market and another a few years ago in Guadalajara, i don´t trust in mexican pólice and i think mexicans citizen either.

pd. sorry for my english.

Deleted by poster.

Maybe they were on their way to or from the troubles in Michoacan..see report in the LA Times

At least five people were killed in a spasm of violence that shook one of Mexico’s largest states over the weekend, authorities said Monday.

Gunmen on Sunday blew up 18 electrical substations -- twice the originally reported number -- and torched six gasoline stations in Michoacan state, just west of the nation's capital. Nearly half a million people were left without electrical power for 15 hours.

During that time at least five people were killed during a gun battle at the city hall in Apatzingan, one of the state's principal cities, the state prosecutor’s office reported Monday. It said all of the dead were men in their late teens or early 20s, but it did not say what group they belonged to, if any. Authorities initially had reported no casualties.

Archived