Chapala.com Webboard

Maid vs. Housekeeper

Marque

As an observer on this webboard , I would like to understand the meaning of maid in Mexico, or maybe it's just the LC area?

NOB many people pay to have their houses cleaned by either an individual selling their service as a housekeeper, or they hire a commercial housecleaning service. Either way, the goal is to get the house cleaned - vacuuming, dusting, bathrooms cleaned, floors washed, etc. The scope of the house cleaning service is agreed to by both parties, but it seldom includes things like laundry/ironing or cooking/serving meals.

NOB the people who clean houses are called housekeepers or housecleaners. You can arrange to have someone come iron your clothes or cook your meals, but it's seldom done by the person who cleans your house. If you want your windows washed, you call a window washer.

I have two friends who have housekeepers who routinely clean their house, but I don't know anyone who has a maid. (Yes, there's a commercial service called "Merry Maids," but it's strictly a housecleaning service.) I know maids exist here, but they're found mostly in Beverly HIlls, Hollywood, or The Hamptons, and are generally thought of as domestics or domestic servants.

As a rule, is a maid in Mexico (or the Lake Chapala area?) something different than a housekeeper NOB?

Mexican law makes a distinction between professional cleaners, (who act as independent contractors), and maids who do what you ask or specify, (who are your part-time employees). Under the Ley de Trabajo, if you hire the person to do a specific job/task/project, like an electrician or plumber, then they are a contractors. Contractors are responsible for paying their own IMSS and taxes, and they work "independently", without you directing them. "Maids"/muchachas, or even mozos, whom you direct, are part-time employees. As an employee, they do what you ask that week, and you direct them in their activities. If you are showing your cleaning person how you want things done, showing them how to do things, telling them the order of what you want done that week, and/or vary their routines based on your desires that week, then they are your employees, to whom you owe vacation pay, vacation time, aguinaldos, and IMSS and tax payments.

As part-time employees they are protected from being fired, and if you do let them go, you likely have to pay severance pay, etc.

Since the homeowner's legal responsibilities change with how you treat your "maid" vs. house cleaner, it is worth delineating which legal relationship you have with the person who works in your home.

Note that live-in maids, live-in mozos, and live-in caretakers are almost always considered full-time employees under Mexican law.

Things have changed with the new Ley de Trabajo last February, and it can take a labor attorney to sort things out if you do it poorly.

What is the correct Spanish term for maid/housekeeper in Mexico?

ama de casa

Two dictionaries, a good on-line translator, and a couple of Mexican friends would beg to differ with you.

Ama de casa is a housewife, not the hired help.

He might have been thinking of ama de llaves.Harry B's answer empleada domestica is the one I would use.

We call ours Maria and she is, indeed our ama de llaves, as she cleans, irons and does all sort of good tasks at our house, including staying overnight and looking after our plants and pets whenever we travel.

If you need someone like that, she will soon have Monday available, as a client is moving north. Let me know and I will get you together. She is 110% and also has daughters who help, or can substitute if needed. She has been with us for a decade and with several of our friends for many years. Oh, if you throw a party, she will come to help serve and clean up.

Two dictionaries, a good on-line translator, and a couple of Mexican friends would beg to differ with you.

Ama de casa is a housewife, not the hired help.

Last Monday, I had a job fair at the Legion and that day exactly 13 people applied for the job of cleaning lady alone. Because you made me hesitate, I just checked their application forms and five of them, applied for "ama de casa" (and the other ones used all kinds of other expressions, like 1 put : afanadora).

In the last 3 years, all together, I received 300 applications only for this job and it is the most used expression (in people's resumes), no matter what the dictionary, a couple of Mexicans and an on line translator says, unless you want to claim that the majority of the 300 Mexicans are wrong.

Of course, it is not the only word that can be used, but it definitely is one of the most common and most used ones, here in this area of Mexico (maybe not the most appropriate or chique but on top of the list).

Amo and ama de casa can also mean landlady or landlord (like dueño or dueña) and housewife is another meaning, but the hired help here is certainly called ama de casa as well. The meaning depends on the context of the conversation.

Like English, with Spanish, it also depends on the region, where it is spoken.

Feel free to come and visit me and look at their applications. I have them here.

Rony

Ama de casa= housewife, period.

Chacha,serviente,criada,gata,etc. are denigrating terms in varying degrees.

Empleada domestica is the correct and most commonly used term in Guadalajara.

I am not sure if there would be a difference with Guadalajara terms but it seems that most forum users are from Lakeside anyway.

The truth of the matter is that (you are right) empleada domestica, although a bit too formal, is the correct (and fine) term.

But your allegation, saying ..... ama de casa = simply housewife (period, as you said),.... is absolutely not sufficient (proving the zillions of applications).....unless in English, you would be able to say, I apply for the position of housewife (and who knows,..... since English is not my mother language). I would not be a good housewife anyway.... I think.

Housewife is only one meaning and housekeeper another (mostly used in this last meaning here).

I am just stating what is more commonly used (among the Mexicans that are actually in the profession) here at Lakeside.

Anyway, not worth starting another world war about. Up to you what language you want to speak (I speak Dutch with my dog), what you choose to believe or makes you happy....

By the way, cbviajero, ... first, you are the one, who asks the question (about how to say it in Spanish) and then you are so determined and convinced about the answer yourself ??

The invitation to come and look at the applications still stands, with or without your housewife. Peace on earth. Vrede zij met u.

Rony

I have lived in Mexico or many years and in many parts of Mexico, always with a maid, sometimes live in, sometimes not. In Mexico City it was very informal for most maids and MOST maids are not getting IMMS or any other benefits, they are terribly taken advantage of. Here I have a maid 6 days a week. I pay her IMMS and Infonovit. My gardner, also 6 days a week works half a day here and half a day at another house. Myself and the other employer each pay half of a private insurance policy for him. Also keep in mind that after one year, employees get one week paid vacation. IMMS will cost you about 500 pesos a month (if reported at minimum wage). then every other month you will pay a couple of hundred pesos more for the infonavit.

While having maids, domestics or whatever you choose to call them may seam like a huge luxury coming from a north american culture, I have grown to see it as more of a duty to provide work.

I have lived in Mexico or many years and in many parts of Mexico, always with a maid, sometimes live in, sometimes not. In Mexico City it was very informal for most maids and MOST maids are not getting IMMS or any other benefits, they are terribly taken advantage of. Here I have a maid 6 days a week. I pay her IMMS and Infonovit. My gardner, also 6 days a week works half a day here and half a day at another house. Myself and the other employer each pay half of a private insurance policy for him. Also keep in mind that after one year, employees get one week paid vacation. IMMS will cost you about 500 pesos a month (if reported at minimum wage). then every other month you will pay a couple of hundred pesos more for the infonavit.

While having maids, domestics or whatever you choose to call them may seam like a huge luxury coming from a north american culture, I have grown to see it as more of a duty to provide work.

I learnt a very important message from you. It doesn't matter so much how you call them, it is a lot more important how you treat them. I applaud your view and actions. A good idea also, to share the insurance costs with another employer.

Rony

Archived